Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
121 - 140 of 154 Posts
PAIR Mod Pics

Took some photos to help anyone doing the PAIR mod.

Pic showing connectors to disconnect on the top of the airbox.

Gas line connect. pull on the black part, then use needlenose pliers on the green parts and pull the disconnect apart.

Gas line disconnected.

You don't have to take the airbox top all the way off. Leave all the wires attached and just lay it back.

Photo showing the blue connector on the back right of the airbox. Unplug that, and remove the vacuum tube.

I got these vacuum caps from Pep Boys. Auto Zone didn't have them big enough.

Vacuum cap on the bottom of the airbox.

Rubber cover over PAIR

Pair electric connector

Reeds under the PAIR covers. I left all that stuff in there so it would seal better.

Pair valve removed

A little Hondabond on the back of the new covers.

I got mine from someone here on the forum. Lots of places have em. Simple knockout of aluminum sheet.

Did the pair mod in the pitch black last night. Not fun. I'm doing today after work on my buddy's bike, ill try to make a new thread with updated pics for everyone asking for them... not using smog plates though. Just caps. Anybody know if they will melt?

My workplace has an assortment of caps in different sizes and colors. The one I put on my airbox where the PAIR vacuum line used to go fits nice and tight, like it was made exactly for it. No glue needed or anything.

I bought cover plates from Superbike Supply for the rest.

several clarification questions on PAIR mod

Folks, I've followed this thread (and others), it looks pretty straight forward but I'm not entirely sure I understand some things, so bear with me ...

1. This mod seems to be on a system of positive crank ventilation, on the system that via a solenoid allows crankcase by-pass 'fumes' collected in the head to enter the airbox to be mixed with fresh air and then be combusted. Ergo it appears to be an emissions 'system', not unlike positive crank ventilation (PCV) that's been on cars since the 70s. Correct?

2. The forum indicates the mod is required for those with tuning via air/fuel monitoring. I'm not sure I understand this. Why would some stale air/crank fumes from the crankcase muck up the AFR? I mean how much bypass (crankcase fumes) would be entering the airbox? Those connections sure look awfully small. I can't for the life of me see how that would have ANY affect on AFR.

3. I'm not sure I understand the references to "reeds". From the pics these look like some kind of baffle to prevent oil spray from entering the hoses, i.e., used to keep oil at the head from being drawn into the hoses and eventually into the airbox. Correct?

4. I'm assuming, like a car engine, the 'stale' crank fumes are somewhat pressurized because this is essentially 'air' that's bypassed the piston rings during compression. Ergo, relative the atmosphere, it's higher pressure. Now given the airbox itself becomes somewhat pressurized at speed with the ram air, is the airbox at lower pressurized air? I'm figuring it has to be otherwise, airbox pressure would vent into the engine!

5. Does "PAIR" refer to the two places on the valve cover for the outlet stale crank fumes, or is this an acronym? ???Positive Air Intake Recycle or something???

Thanks!

Folks, I've followed this thread (and others), it looks pretty straight forward but I'm not entirely sure I understand some things, so bear with me ...

1. This mod seems to be on a system of positive crank ventilation, on the system that via a solenoid allows crankcase by-pass 'fumes' collected in the head to enter the airbox to be mixed with fresh air and then be combusted. Ergo it appears to be an emissions 'system', not unlike positive crank ventilation (PCV) that's been on cars since the 70s. Correct?

2. The forum indicates the mod is required for those with tuning via air/fuel monitoring. I'm not sure I understand this. Why would some stale air/crank fumes from the crankcase muck up the AFR? I mean how much bypass (crankcase fumes) would be entering the airbox? Those connections sure look awfully small. I can't for the life of me see how that would have ANY affect on AFR.

3. I'm not sure I understand the references to "reeds". From the pics these look like some kind of baffle to prevent oil spray from entering the hoses, i.e., used to keep oil at the head from being drawn into the hoses and eventually into the airbox. Correct?

4. I'm assuming, like a car engine, the 'stale' crank fumes are somewhat pressurized because this is essentially 'air' that's bypassed the piston rings during compression. Ergo, relative the atmosphere, it's higher pressure. Now given the airbox itself becomes somewhat pressurized at speed with the ram air, is the airbox at lower pressurized air? I'm figuring it has to be otherwise, airbox pressure would vent into the engine!

5. Does "PAIR" refer to the two places on the valve cover for the outlet stale crank fumes, or is this an acronym? ???Positive Air Intake Recycle or something???

Thanks!
Why can't people just believe!?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Honda+CBR+1000RR+-+PAIR+System
If that doesn't answer your question. Read on.
1. Am I on the Rocket Scientist forum again?
2. The air isn't stale. It's clean. It's never been combusted. The Pulsed Air is Injected to the exhaust port so it can help burn the unburned fuel fumes. If you are introducing an un-combusted source of air to your exhaust pipe where your sensor for your AFR is, then it's going to read your AFR like that air just went through your entire combustion process. And in effect, I believe, adding more fuel unnecessarily. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
3. Tomato/Tamaato. :th_gives:
4. :jerkoff:
5. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Honda+CBR+1000RR+-+PAIR+System

Sick em' ProMed!!

Choices; insult or inform

Wow, ask for a little more insight into a modification or how something works on a CBR1000RR and look what happens? To say I was shocked and offended by those responses is an understatement. They were crude, disrespectful, and yes, vulgar. The language, arrogant tone, condescending language, assertion that I was stupid, and your offensive graphics speaks volumes…. I presented my questions with a preamble and followed them with a friendly, cordial post script, a thank you. Well no thanks for your responses. I’m not sure why being a forum member since June 2010 and posting 160+ posts has deluded you in thinking you are an expert in anything or presupposes you to be the Oracle of knowledge on 1000rr.net. Seeing that you took the time and effort to post pictures on the PAIR mod, edit them, and post them , I couldn’t believe your response to my follow on questions, which by the way weren’t specifically directed at YOU (but this
decidedly is).

I asked for some forbearance in my preamble when I said the mods looked straight forward and that I wasn’t sure I understood some things about the PAIR system. But alas in your case, extending an olive branch is held in derision and contempt. Apparently you assumed that because of my relatively few posts and “junior” status assigned by the forum software you had the right to publicly insult me. I can assure you, I’m well your senior, age-wise, and am not accustomed to this level of outright disrespect.

My 1st question was pretty simple - is this thing, referred to as PAIR, an emissions system? That’s a pretty straight question. A more appropriate response would depend on whether one knows or doesn’t know the answer (which is clear, you don’t). If you don’t know, it’s always safe to follow the old adage; if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. That’s the cordial, mature thing to do. That way, no harm, no foul.

Another response might have been - ‘you know I’m not entirely sure myself, but if anyone does then we’d both learn something.’ If you DID in fact know, then a simple “yes” or “no” would suffice. Now that I’ve learned PAIR is an emissions system, that’s important information. It’s a US Federal violation for anyone to tamper, alter, modify, etc. an emission control system, at least on US cars and trucks. I suspect it’s the same for motorcycles but guess what? I don’t honestly know. <- See how easy that was, “I don’t know”. Other folks might appreciate that information (i.e., it’s an emission system). They’d make an informed decision about performing the mod or not. Who knows maybe someone doesn’t want to run afoul of any laws, especially in those areas where physical emissions inspections are taking place in this country or OTHERS.

My 2nd question wasn’t a challenging insult. It didn’t say anything except I’m not sure I understand how this impacts air/fuel ratio? I did eventually receive that information from a MATURE forum member who took the time to understand MY mis-understanding to clear things up. But again, rather than choose to inform, you chose to insult. But then not only did you insult, you asked forum members, ‘Is this right?’ Nice move, insult, then ask others if your basis for insulting is correct.

Had you taken the time to understand my question, you would have seen that I was unaware that the head is cast with a port in it for sending air into the exhaust to promote fuller post-exhaust cycle combustion, so (conclusion) PAIR IS AN EMSSIONS SYSTEM!

Seeing how stupid I am, I’ve only been able to ascertain the fuel injection system on this bike (06) looks like a rudimentary open loop system; the ECM/ECU monitors several critical engine functions, reads data from a map, perhaps several, and determines ignition timing and injector pulse width. However since you found yourself on the Rocket Scientist forum “again” might you know what TYPE of fuel injection system is on the 06? Is it speed-density or MAF system? Or perhaps you’ll enlighten me as to whether the injectors are peak and hold, or saturation?

Your response suggests to me you’ve made a mod to your bike without fully understanding it. There’s nothing wrong with that. Knowing HOW to do something is knowledge, but why attack someone who asks for a bit more information? Maybe I’d like to know WHY not just HOW?

My 3rd question wasn’t poking fun at you or anyone else. Although my 06 is old, model year-wise, to me it’s virtually brand new. My previous bike is the original 900RR (and before that the original 1987 Hurricane 600) and those bikes are/were bereft of this PAIR system and so many other technologies that are on my 06. I wasn’t claiming those items aren’t reeds. They may in fact be. The parts may in fact have Honda titles containing “reed”. My question was an attempt to know more about them. Unlike your filthy mouthed response my original question was NOT intended to harm.

My 4th question was something I would think a “rocket scientist” such as yourself could weigh in on. Your vast knowledge of fluid dynamics, differential equations, rocket calculus, etc should have made this a no brainer for you, but instead, you chose a disrespectful, immature, and vulgar gesture reflecting your personality and maturity.

My 5th question was a simple question. If you don’t know what the acronym is, either remember the golden rule or try ‘I’m not sure what the heck that is’ OR if you do know, just say so. I’ve done Google searches and you know what? I didn’t run across the answer to my question, ergo that’s why I asked it. I’ll tell you what I found … a whole bunch of Google hits point you RIGHT BACK TO THIS 1000RR forum. I’m sorry you found this insulting and irritating.

So, should people search before posting? Well generally yes, sure. It’s the polite thing to do, but you know I’m not sure I saw the rules indicating just how many threads and posts one needs to navigate before you are allowed to post a question. And I’m not sure where I saw that you should NOT ask any follow on questions or seek to understand the WHY as well as the HOW. Rather than copping a holier than thou, arrogant, condescending attitude in choosing to insult, why not choose to inform? Trust me, words to live by.

Wow, ask for a little more insight into a modification or how something works on a CBR1000RR and look what happens? To say I was shocked and offended by those responses is an understatement. They were crude, disrespectful, and yes, vulgar. The language, arrogant tone, condescending language, assertion that I was stupid, and your offensive graphics speaks volumes…. I presented my questions with a preamble and followed them with a friendly, cordial post script, a thank you. Well no thanks for your responses. I’m not sure why being a forum member since June 2010 and posting 160+ posts has deluded you in thinking you are an expert in anything or presupposes you to be the Oracle of knowledge on 1000rr.net. Seeing that you took the time and effort to post pictures on the PAIR mod, edit them, and post them , I couldn’t believe your response to my follow on questions, which by the way weren’t specifically directed at YOU (but this
decidedly is).

I asked for some forbearance in my preamble when I said the mods looked straight forward and that I wasn’t sure I understood some things about the PAIR system. But alas in your case, extending an olive branch is held in derision and contempt. Apparently you assumed that because of my relatively few posts and “junior” status assigned by the forum software you had the right to publicly insult me. I can assure you, I’m well your senior, age-wise, and am not accustomed to this level of outright disrespect.

My 1st question was pretty simple - is this thing, referred to as PAIR, an emissions system? That’s a pretty straight question. A more appropriate response would depend on whether one knows or doesn’t know the answer (which is clear, you don’t). If you don’t know, it’s always safe to follow the old adage; if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. That’s the cordial, mature thing to do. That way, no harm, no foul.

Another response might have been - ‘you know I’m not entirely sure myself, but if anyone does then we’d both learn something.’ If you DID in fact know, then a simple “yes” or “no” would suffice. Now that I’ve learned PAIR is an emissions system, that’s important information. It’s a US Federal violation for anyone to tamper, alter, modify, etc. an emission control system, at least on US cars and trucks. I suspect it’s the same for motorcycles but guess what? I don’t honestly know. <- See how easy that was, “I don’t know”. Other folks might appreciate that information (i.e., it’s an emission system). They’d make an informed decision about performing the mod or not. Who knows maybe someone doesn’t want to run afoul of any laws, especially in those areas where physical emissions inspections are taking place in this country or OTHERS.

My 2nd question wasn’t a challenging insult. It didn’t say anything except I’m not sure I understand how this impacts air/fuel ratio? I did eventually receive that information from a MATURE forum member who took the time to understand MY mis-understanding to clear things up. But again, rather than choose to inform, you chose to insult. But then not only did you insult, you asked forum members, ‘Is this right?’ Nice move, insult, then ask others if your basis for insulting is correct.

Had you taken the time to understand my question, you would have seen that I was unaware that the head is cast with a port in it for sending air into the exhaust to promote fuller post-exhaust cycle combustion, so (conclusion) PAIR IS AN EMSSIONS SYSTEM!

Seeing how stupid I am, I’ve only been able to ascertain the fuel injection system on this bike (06) looks like a rudimentary open loop system; the ECM/ECU monitors several critical engine functions, reads data from a map, perhaps several, and determines ignition timing and injector pulse width. However since you found yourself on the Rocket Scientist forum “again” might you know what TYPE of fuel injection system is on the 06? Is it speed-density or MAF system? Or perhaps you’ll enlighten me as to whether the injectors are peak and hold, or saturation?

Your response suggests to me you’ve made a mod to your bike without fully understanding it. There’s nothing wrong with that. Knowing HOW to do something is knowledge, but why attack someone who asks for a bit more information? Maybe I’d like to know WHY not just HOW?

My 3rd question wasn’t poking fun at you or anyone else. Although my 06 is old, model year-wise, to me it’s virtually brand new. My previous bike is the original 900RR (and before that the original 1987 Hurricane 600) and those bikes are/were bereft of this PAIR system and so many other technologies that are on my 06. I wasn’t claiming those items aren’t reeds. They may in fact be. The parts may in fact have Honda titles containing “reed”. My question was an attempt to know more about them. Unlike your filthy mouthed response my original question was NOT intended to harm.

My 4th question was something I would think a “rocket scientist” such as yourself could weigh in on. Your vast knowledge of fluid dynamics, differential equations, rocket calculus, etc should have made this a no brainer for you, but instead, you chose a disrespectful, immature, and vulgar gesture reflecting your personality and maturity.

My 5th question was a simple question. If you don’t know what the acronym is, either remember the golden rule or try ‘I’m not sure what the heck that is’ OR if you do know, just say so. I’ve done Google searches and you know what? I didn’t run across the answer to my question, ergo that’s why I asked it. I’ll tell you what I found … a whole bunch of Google hits point you RIGHT BACK TO THIS 1000RR forum. I’m sorry you found this insulting and irritating.

So, should people search before posting? Well generally yes, sure. It’s the polite thing to do, but you know I’m not sure I saw the rules indicating just how many threads and posts one needs to navigate before you are allowed to post a question. And I’m not sure where I saw that you should NOT ask any follow on questions or seek to understand the WHY as well as the HOW. Rather than copping a holier than thou, arrogant, condescending attitude in choosing to insult, why not choose to inform? Trust me, words to live by.
Ok first off, :th_SmlyROFL:. Secondly, how the FUCK do you think ANY of that was insulting you?? Third, if you had a sense of humor you would have realized I wasn't claiming to be a rocket scientist, I was poking fun at the fact that I had NO IDEA what you were talking about :joke6cl:. The list could go on, but I really don't feel like wasting time on you:slap2:. You literally just post the most retarded post I've ever read on 1000rr.net :signs057:. How long did you waste writing that!? An hour!? You must be a lawyer :wtf::noob::gfy:

P.S.: I'm sorry if the words FUCK, RETARD, and LAWYER offend you. Actually i'm not. Grow a sack and join the community. If you honestly think I "attacked" you, just wait until you say something REALLY stupid. Boy, the guys are gonna LOOOOOVE you!!

decidedly is).

lol. no way I'm reading all that..

lol. no way I'm reading all that..
I started to read it with full intent on reading the first paragraph only, but it was just to good to stop... :th_SmlyROFL:

To say I was shocked and offended by those responses is an understatement. They were crude, disrespectful, and yes, vulgar. The language, arrogant tone, condescending language, assertion that I was stupid, and your offensive graphics speaks volumes…. I presented my questions with a preamble and followed them with a friendly, cordial post script, a thank you.
I say...

121 - 140 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.