Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, New member here. I would just like some advice on flushing coolant on my 2015 new to me blade. I don't think it's ever had a coolant change-maybe but it looks old and reeks. It's got red coolant in and I want to put Hondas Pro coolant in which is blue.
So I want to flush the radiator with distilled water before adding the new different color coolant.

Let's call this method 1
Now my question is would you just drain the radiator and overflow bottle and refit the drain plug and fill the rad with distilled water and flush it out a number of times until its clear.

And method 2
Or would you do the above until its clear or semi clear and fill it once again also filling the overflow run the bike until the thermostat opens and leave it running a minute or so and then drain it. Would this cause any damage? Is it even necessary to do this? Or is there a different method?

Normally I would buy a bike new and do the majority of the maintenance myself always using what I or the agents use but it's been about 14 years since I've had a bike and this time be it a used bike. I plan on keeping this one for some time so I would like to take care of it as best I can.
Already done a basic service engine oil put a k&n air filter in brake pads+new fluid and did sprockets and chain for peace of mind
Just need to do coolant and fork oil.

·
a d m i n
151,044 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sure others will chime in on your '15, as to the best way to change the coolant. It may be a bit different for my '18, but I personally would just go by the Service Manual.

One thing I do, on whatever I'm changing the coolant on, is after filling up the radiator, I run it/rev it a bit, without the cap on, to 'burp' out the air, before reinstalling the radiator cap.

·
FEB 2016 BOTM
2,140 Posts
Method 1 but let it run until thermostat opens in between each flush cycle. Takes me about 4 cycle to get it clear.
And do what JD said to burp it afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sure others will chime in on your '15, as to the best way to change the coolant. It may be a bit different for my '18, but I personally would just go by the Service Manual.

One thing I do, on whatever I'm changing the coolant on, is after filling up the radiator, I run it/rev it a bit, without the cap on, to 'burp' out the air, before reinstalling the radiator cap.
Method 1 but let it run until thermostat opens in between each flush cycle. Takes me about 4 cycle to get it clear.
And do what JD said to burp it afterwards.
Thanks for the response guys, yes always good to blip it a few times to bleed air. I've noticed on previous hondas after the first ride no matter how many times you previously let the bike run with the cap off you can always top up both the rad and reservoir. I'll keep an eye on it. For some reason I struggle with them a bit but always come through in the end.
Thanks, much appreciated

·
Registered
301 Posts
i usually drain it then flush with fresh water and white vinegar...run it a bit, flush with fresh water a few times again, then refill with desired coolant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
  • I ensure that my bike is cooled off.
  • I remove any bodywork and I inspect the radiator and hoses.
  • I drain the coolant.
  • I flush the radiator and hoses with a hose.
  • I refill the radiator and cooling system.
  • I burp the radiator and I test the system.
Feel free to ask for any detail :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts