Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it needed it's own thread. I'm looking for a set of aftermarket bulbs for the bike. I definitely want more light output, these lights suck compared to the stock setup on the 929. I decided I don't want the expense or hassle of an HID setup.

I've got PIAA's Xtreme White Plus bulbs on my truck and the light output is much greater than stock (They say 60w=120w equivilent). They have a new line of motorcycle bulbs that are shock resistant that I've been looking at. I was hoping for something that sticks out a little more (The PIAA's are about 4000K, but my buddy has some cheap brand that are 4100k on his WRX and they stand out WAY more), while not being obnoxious, and giving an actual increase in light output.

Hardracing sells a set of bulbs that I believe my buddy on a F4i had, but the draw is like 80/85w, and that could get dangerous for the wiring and housings without some serious beefing up (Possibly like SkinDragger did). I remember he ran with his brights on all the time (He hated the one light thing too), and after he put those bulbs in, we were run starting his bike all the time. Could have been a coincidence.

Summary: Higher light output, stand out tint but not obnoxious, doesn't require major modification, willing to spend PIAA-type money so any other drop-in bulb price tag doesn't scare me.

Personal experience recommendations appreciated. :D

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
I personally have not had luck with PIAAs. They burn out too quickly on a bike. I switched to a Stanley/Raybrig heavy duty high output and have had no problems since. Unfortunately, a quick Yahoo search reveals that Raybrig does not make an H7 bulb that's worth a crap. So I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=959&cat=0&page=1

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, that helps a little anyway. :) A lot of those bulbs are foreign, but a good comparison. I ended up buying a set of bulbs at the dealer the other day (Impulse item at the register). They are made by that KMax company like Johnny posted. Much whiter shade, but don't think there was a noticeable difference in output. Got a 2 pack for $28 with my 20% off, so not too bad in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The Phillips Vision Plus are the best H7 bulb you can get in terms of visibility. I've run them for a while now and tested them against everything, they are always brighter. A friend with a 954 was assured that his superwhite POS lamps where brighter, he was proved wrong. They are better than anything sans full blown (ie real) HID

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrb said:
The Phillips Vision Plus are the best H7 bulb you can get in terms of visibility. I've run them for a while now and tested them against everything, they are always brighter. A friend with a 954 was assured that his superwhite POS lamps where brighter, he was proved wrong. They are better than anything sans full blown (ie real) HID
How's the color temperature on them? Are they still pretty yellow like the stock setup, or are they more "White"?

·
Registered
502 Posts
IronNutz said:
mrb said:
How's the color temperature on them? Are they still pretty yellow like the stock setup, or are they more "White"?
very very white..... they are really a million times better than stock. everyone should upgrade for their own safety...

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
IronNutz said:
mrb said:
As he said they are more white, but not like that superwhite crap, it's just much brighter. They use the stock wattage too. You only need 1 of them, the lowbeam. Damn good upgrade and cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry HID is the only way to go. Hi-Po halogans won't last more than a year in a motorcycle and won't come close to light output or color of a true HID. You can also get a good HID kit for $40.00 from DDM Tuning which many times is LESS expensive fhan a high end set of halogans.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Dual-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I am running the DDM kit in my V-Max and CBR with no issues. Install isn't that difficult and I actually think that the install was easier on the CBR than it was on the V-Max. I didn't have to remove any fairings to install, just loosened them up a bit so I could pull them enough to fit the components.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I'm using some 10 dollar 3000k yellow bulbs I got off EBAY. They're brighter than the Silverstar Ultras I used to use and the yellow color stands out.

Sent from my M886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I bought a cheap set of bulbs off of eBay. They last only for so long but cost only 9.99 shipped. Look wise they produce much whiter light compared with the stocks. Give it a try unless you are willing to pay over $40 bucks for PIAA bulb. Thats just for one. LoL

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Locked and Loaded
457 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Any suggestions. I also don't want to go through the hassle of doing HID but would like something brighter. My stock burned out.

Any suggestions, stuff I can go out and by at Autozone or Wallmart or where ever else I can just walk in and get for a decent price that would be brighter than stock.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Any suggestions. I also don't want to go through the hassle of doing HID but would like something brighter. My stock burned out.

Any suggestions, stuff I can go out and by at Autozone or Wallmart or where ever else I can just walk in and get for a decent price that would be brighter than stock.

Thanks
The zxe's are nice bulbs

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.