Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want some input on your experience with aftermarket visors (Not OEM) and what brands

I am looking to replace my blue iradium Shoei RF1200 visor and not only are they hard to come by but they are $129!!!!! I can find aftermarket visors for $50.

Should I quit whining and buy the OEM or take the chance on an aftermarket visor? M-factory, MC Motorsports, OZ-USA are a few of the brands I was looking at

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd suggest sticking to OEM. Tried aftermarket visor on my RF-1100 and was good one season, but the rotation rails (or whatever their called lol) that allow the visor to go up and down wear out too fast.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
+1 on biting the bullet. I checked out some aftermarket Arai visors for my RX-7X helmets and they didn’t fit well at all, they didn’t stay fully locked in the up position. So when “up”, it still sat lower than it would’ve normally sat and didn’t rotate as smoothly as the OEM (had a drag/grind feel to them). So I ended up ordering OEM ones anyway.

Reactions: RC45

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 on biting the bullet. I checked out some aftermarket Arai visors for my RX-7X helmets and they didn’t fit well at all, they didn’t stay fully locked in the up position. So when “up”, it still sat lower than it would’ve normally sat and didn’t rotate as smoothly as the OEM (had a drag/grind feel to them). So I ended up ordering OEM ones anyway.
Yes sir! The extra cash for quality visors is worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah after looking into the cheaper visors a little more I went with the OEM visor.

Funny story about OEM visors though...…….
Bought a brand new Icon Airframe Pro Carbon Fiber for my first new helmet on the new bike a few years back. Nice helmet, stupid light, fit well, great airflow. Had a "fog free" visor on the clear visor that came with the helmet. Doesn't have the pinlock insert like Shoei or Arai but some sort of anti fog coating on the inside of the visor.
On a dark cloudy highway run home one night from work it started to downpour. The visor anti fog coating on the inside of the visor instantly separated from the visor into a white foggy gel/paste. I was completely blind! Tried lifting the visor and wiping out the crap but at highway speed it was super sketchy. Had to stop dead in the middle of the highway. Luckily it was late on a weekday and not much traffic. Contacted Icon and they basically blew off the safety concern and sent me a replacement. I even offered to send it to them to investigate. They declined. I'm guessing its a known issue.
Needless to say I bought the Shoei and haven't looked back but I still have the Icon as a backup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts