Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to do the valve adjustment in my 07. I’m getting all the necessary gaskets and seals that go under the cam caps ahead of time so if I do need to adjust I am ready. If I don’t need to adjust I can’t just keep them for next time. Anyway, I was wondering if I should replace those rubber seals that are recessed into the airbox joints/junctions. To be honest with you guys, I never even knew they were available. I thought they were built into the airbox. But sure enough they are available online. Is it worth replacing them if I can spare the cash? The service manual is usually pretty good about telling you what seals you should replace but these aren’t mentioned at all. Do they just never go bad because they’re just sealing air and not fluids?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
I've never replaced any airbox seals when taking it apart. Might depend on how they look.
I would be interested in how many miles are on your bike and whether you need to make valve adjustments.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never replaced any airbox seals when taking it apart. Might depend on how they look.
I would be interested in how many miles are on your bike and whether you need to make valve adjustments.
Thanks.
Yeah I suspected 99% of people have never changed them. I didn’t even know they were there. I took the airbox apart to clean some dust and varnish out of it. While I was in there I stuck a pick in one of the channels were the two halves mate together to get some gunk out and sure enough there is a big rubber seal. I just think about stuff like that due to the age of the bike. I understand rubber degrades over time. As for mileage, I just hit 24,000 miles. If it were just a commuter I probably wouldn’t even think about checking the clearance yet. However, I ride this bike really, really hard. When I do track days or early morning canyon carving she sees north of 8k RPMs for extended periods of time. I know these fireblades (especially our gen) don’t go out of spec very often at low mileage, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. I’ll definitely update the thread when I do get around to it and let everyone know what’s good.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
976 Posts
Hey Matt.....I just hit 35,000 miles. Not using it for track. I think my track days are behind me....:(
I have not done the valves, so I am curious what you find when you do yours. It's not a job I am anxious to do.

·
A1 SuperMod!
957 Posts
Hey Matt.....I just hit 35,000 miles. Not using it for track. I think my track days are behind me....:(
I have not done the valves, so I am curious what you find when you do yours. It's not a job I am anxious to do.
It's one of those jobs that requires tearing down half the bike to check clearances that 95% of the time are perfectly fine. Done improperly, camshaft removal and and install can cause more issues than it solves.

It's quite difficult to remove camshafts without scratching/denting the cylinder head while the motor is in the frame, because you cannot unbolt the camshaft sprockets. For OCD folks like me who can't tolerate a scuff, it's one of those things I check when the motor is out of the frame for other stuff.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
69 Posts
FWIW I quit buying that airbox seal and started using 1/8" neoprene foam cord. If I remember right I think the factory one is a similar material. I just cut it to the right length and drop it in. No need to glue it closed.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW I quit buying that airbox seal and started using 1/8" neoprene foam cord. If I remember right I think the factory one is a similar material. I just cut it to the right length and drop it in. No need to glue it closed.

Great idea. And honestly, unless you loose or physically damage one of the seals, do they really need regular replacing? I’m sure the service manual would have specified if they did.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
69 Posts
If they hold the shape of the throttle bodies instead of expanding back like a foam should then it would be good to replace them. I have to replace the foam cord everytime but mine sees quite a bit of heat.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they hold the shape of the throttle bodies instead of expanding back like a foam should then it would be good to replace them. I have to replace the foam cord everytime but mine sees quite a bit of heat.
There was still some resistance as I started screwing the velocity stacks down onto the throttle bodies. Like there was a little space between the stacks and throttle bodies until the screws cinched everything down. Same with the air filter housing half’s. I guess that means they are still holding some shape lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts