Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just purchased an alarm from www.scorpioalarms.com
I purchased the SRI500. I don't know what that price is in CDN, but i paid 299 in US.I also got a few of the expansions for the SRI500, like the anti jack and the backup battery..the alarm system seems to be very impressive having an FM paging system that can alert you when the bike has been up righted or jostled becuase it has a verticle and horizontal axis detection in it and will page the remote pager if it has been moved.Hope this info will help you.If your going to invest money into your baby, do it ALL THE WAY!!. spare no expense for that beauty!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I think that is one of the most popular alarms. I havn't looked into them too much due to not really having a need for it here. Out of everyone I ride with noone has an alarm, disc lock, chain, or any other anti-theft device. Well, I do have my CCW. :wink:

As far as those pagers go, the range isn't the greatest under real world conditions. Some good friends of mine work at a very high end electronics store (Home/Mobile), and I had them install the best two-way alarm/remote starter out there on my truck. Rather than using FM like other models, it uses a spread spectrum, bumping the range from a few hundred feet to over a mile. It works ANYWHERE, it's pretty sick. Anyway, the point I was getting at was when he was selling it to me he was like "Yeah, these things are great. Not only does your car get stolen, but when you run out to see what's going on, you can get shot too!". :D We're all friends, it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I hear that the scorpion is preety good and Easy to install by yourself. I was looking into that my self. I may be oveer doin it a little. I have the 6ft fence around my property. the driveway gate has a lock on it.Can't open from the outside. My garage has 3 locks on it plus garage door opener. and I cut 3 5inch wide holes in the floor whick are 5 inches deep that I put anchor ubolts into the holes and new cement.which I have 3 krypto chains my bike is locked to. Is this over kill or what. Plus someone is always home during the day. But Better safe than sorry. i would post pics but posting pics aon thissite is a bitch

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
BigRome said:
I hear that the scorpion is preety good and Easy to install by yourself. I was looking into that my self. I may be oveer doin it a little. I have the 6ft fence around my property. the driveway gate has a lock on it.Can't open from the outside. My garage has 3 locks on it plus garage door opener. and I cut 3 5inch wide holes in the floor whick are 5 inches deep that I put anchor ubolts into the holes and new cement.which I have 3 krypto chains my bike is locked to. Is this over kill or what. Plus someone is always home during the day. But Better safe than sorry. i would post pics but posting pics aon thissite is a bitch
You are thinking you might be overdoing it a little? :lol: I take it you live in New York?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just remember that most motorcycles are stolen in public areas, such as shopping malls, airports etc.A very low percentage of motorcycles are stolen from homes unless they are left outside.My buddies hayabusa was stolen just last sunday in the middle of the day from his driveway!! He was'nt there, but it still amazes me that people will do this kind of thing in the middle of the day!!.The sad part is, is that he has a garage,but his motorcycle took second to some things that he had to store :( .I just let him borrow my 98 900RR until he decides if he can afford to get a new busa or not.Fortunately he had theft coverage and will get a check from the insurance company in about 30 days or so.And just in case you guys were wondering, he cleared out a spot in the garage for my 900 to occupy.If he cant get a new busa he says he'll buy my 900 for 4k.i still hope he gets a busa though,it fit him perfectly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just got my scorpio alarm system in the mail while i was on vacation.( the cayman islands are beautiful).I need a site to post pictures to. I will document where the mounting of the device and all wire splices are going to be. Can anyone help out with this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you Muller666 for posting those pics and the AVI.If anyone has any questions about the installation and wire running, i will be happy to reply to any e-mail.My e-mail address is [email protected]
The installation in itself really was'nt too bad, but i also do security controls for a living.Normally i only do commercial installs(card access systems, fire systems, burg systems) but when it comes to my own vehicles i don't mind jumpin into it.
The anti jack module is the only part of the installation that would be intimidating to someone who doesnt have a basic understanding of low voltage wiring.
Thanks again for posting the pics.I love this site!! if anyone needs any help with this please e-mail me!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
no worries voodoo,
say, does that alarm have a proximity snensor option?
FYI, these microwave sensors usually mount under the seat, and go off if anyone tries to sit on your bike, or butt their cigarette out on the seat.
It works like a kind of short range radar.
If u break the perimeter, it chirps as a warning, do it a couple times and the full alarm sounds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes muller, it does have the prox option, and it was worth the 30 extra bucks in my opinion.
It does exactly what you said..it chirps a warning then chirps a longer tone in pre alarm and after that it goes into full alarm.The prox sensor is adjustable, and mine is turned down fairly low, so as not to create false alarms.the TILT sensor that comes standard with the SRI 500 works great too!! As soon as the bike is uprighted from the kick stand, it goes off!!
I have not tested the range yet..the specs say it has a 1/4 of a mile distance, but this degrades as you enter into srtructures or get behind concrete walls.
But for now it seems to be doing what it is supposed to be doing

·
Registered
56 Posts
mullerr666 said:
Very nice alarm matt.
What does it cost ?
I got the COMPLETE kit and I think it came out around $AU1400 - $AU1500, but you can drop the mapping software to save a bit........I have the prices here somewhere.

Got it...these price as a few months old so they may not be accurate.

bikeBANDIT kit (standard) $950.00 each
bikeBANDIT kit (with backup battery) $985.00 each

Vibration Sensor input device $74.00 each
Tilt Sensor input device $63.00 each
G Sensor input device $90.00 each

Installation $220.00 each

Mapping Software with Melbourne map $245.00 each

Freight from our Sydney factory $16.50 per order

If your interested have a chat to Ben Jones his contact details are on the site http://www.rojone.com.au/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thats great stuff.
They mention GPS, but also GSM tracking.
Is the motorcycle alarm GSM or GPS (i think GSM only providing a GPS like function)?
I know GPS can be very precise, but wasnt sure about GSM's accuracy.

So from first hand experience, how accurate have u found it to be ?

And what general other comments do u have about it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
mullerr666 said:
Thats great stuff.
They mention GPS, but also GSM tracking.
Is the motorcycle alarm GSM or GPS (i think GSM only providing a GPS like function)?
I know GPS can be very precise, but wasnt sure about GSM's accuracy.

So from first hand experience, how accurate have u found it to be ?

And what general other comments do u have about it?
As long as there are a few GSM towers to triangulate the GSM is just as accurate, so in a city it is good but out in the country probably not as good. I know that Telstra has been trialing integrated GSM chips that give you co-ords and they have been found it to be as accurate as GPS.

To be honest with you it only arrived in the mail at the end of last week and I haven't been able to install or play with it, But I have used it at the Melb. Motorshow eariler this year and it works well. From the Demo I saw the tracking was right on the money.

The main function of the GSM is to either ring the alarm and listen to a voice menu and enter commands using the phones key pad or connect via a modem and your computer to issue the same commands. You can dail up the alarm from your computer and view the bikes location on a realtime map as well.

Lots of other cools stuff too apparently it can log a trip and you can play it back later. And it can also send you SMS if the bike exceeds a pre-set speed (handy if you loan the bike to a mate).

I'm going to see if I can arrange the install for this week and I'll get back to you once I have some more first hand info.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.