Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the ignition version of the Annitori Quickshifter for my 2008 CBR1000RR and installed all the electrical components correctly. I say correctly because once you power up the bike the Annitori module will flash green if everything is sound. Once the plugs and battery connections were in place I moved on to installing the strain gauge sensor and shift rod. I disconnected the “rose”(?) pivot arm from the notched rod and unscrewed it from the top of the stock shift rod and then unscrewed the shift rod. From there I screwed the Annitori shift rod, the mid bolt with one but threaded to the middle, and then screwed the sensor to that bolt. I reattached pivot point and put the clamp arm back on the notched rod but forgot (figures this out after the fact) to put the bolt back in it and tighten it down. I turned the bike on, started her up and started shifting up through the gears with no clutch (bike is on front and rear stands and I’m squeezing the front brake) but that’s when I heard hard noises from the clutch so I shut her off. After putting the bolt on the notched rod clamp I turned her on again but I can’t find neutral on my dash and now it only shifts up and down four gears. I’m afraid I destroyed my bike and I’m in over my head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
165 Posts
With the rear wheel off the ground I don't think you've damaged anything. There's a punch mark (dot) on the notched rod. Does it exactly line up with the slot on the pivot arm?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was lined up and even mistaking my forgetting g to bolt the clamp shut, it was still in the same position after shifting and shutting her off. I talked to my trusty mech and he said it need to be under load (duh —> me slapping head). Which makes sense because the sound I heard sounded exactly like what I used to hear back when I cleaned my chain the dangerous way with the back end lifted and engine running. It’s the sound of the chain and front sprocket, not the clutch (fucking yay). When I get home I’ll set her down and move the bike around to see if I can find my gears again. Will update

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I’m an idiot. One partial turn of the back wheel and she clicked back into gear and all gears were available. I took her on a test ride and the Quickshifter worked like a dream. I had a couple false readings but I heard that if you disable “pull” on the app that’ll fix that. If you’re reading this and thinking about getting an Annitori QS I’d highly recommend getting adjustable rearsets first and make sure you get the proper shift rod length.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on ride quality:
It’s works but it’s not without error (mostly user). I’m still playing around with settings but with the stock configuration I’ve noticed false ignition kills here and there and when going faster than 150 in sixth gear she cuts in a lot as if it’s limited. I’ve read that that can due to slow sensitivity settings but it was at 60 with kill time at 55. Also, trying to quick shift from 1st->2nd seems to be no bueno unless you really hit the shift rod up hard because it’s got stuck in neutral a couple times and I revved up to ~9k rpm before realizing it. Kinda scary. I’ve read that can be fixed by increasing kill time. I will update this as I get it more dialed in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alright, I’ve officially got her figured out. main causes of issues (for me)
-angle of stock shift pedal was too sharp at first even after connecting all rod and sensor ends as close as possible (used Annitori suggested 165mm rod for stock rearsets) so my trusty ex-race team mechanic rotated the shift rod clamp one notch up from 90 degrees. He told me you can actually go +/- 2 notches from 90 and that allowed for a raised shift lever, making up shifting easier.

-Settings... toyed around it for a while but settled on 55 sensitivity and 65ms kill time (for push). I left “pull” setting on, and set it to 70 sensitivity and 65ms kill time.

-The way it’s ridden. Basically ride her like a race bike, and don’t ride like a schoolteacher. And also I was expecting the Quickshifter to work with no clutch assist or backing off the throttle. Maybe that works for others but definitely not for me and if it does it’s hit and miss. I’ve found that mixing just enough two fingers worth of clutch and backing off the throttle (very slight for both and relative to gear) is enough to shift quickly, and extremely smooth. If I do that, she works seemlessly.

This is how mine looks:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts