Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,
I'm just looking to get some opinions on this. Currently I have an exhaust from Delkevic, and I really like it, but I wanted to try something a bit louder, and saw there are quite a few gp style slip-ons on ebay that are dirt cheap (50 euros from Germany). Looks like they are the unbranded type of exhaust and fit many different bikes. Just curious what it would sound like without breaking the bank buying another proper exhaust and seeing if anyone has tried any of those. Bike is 2011 fireblade

·
Registered
242 Posts
Question might be better answered as to WHY you want to change it? Aesthetics or performance?

I can't imagine the Chinese product would undergo the research and development of the major manufacturers like Yoshi, Akra, SC, Austin etc. I guess if your main reason is 'noise' there's no contest; 50 euros will get it!

Doesn't the Delkevic have a removable baffle?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it does, but I bought the quietest one from their range. I'm looking at buying a bit shorter version, but that's another 180 euros, so I thought might be a good test to buy cheap one off of ebay. Also I'm thinking, the GP ones from ebay are probably pretty safe as they would have no issue with air flow, but the akrapovic style ones might actually cause some sort of damage if they are universal and fit various bikes, might not be suitable for 1000cc, even if it says it does on the posting?
These ones:

·
Registered
89 Posts
For the money it's worth a try. There is not too much technology in a can itself. What I have found with a cheap knockoff I bought was that the inner core was smaller than it should have been. Other than that the can was made well enough. Almost every slip on can out there is just a perforated core with packing. The only R&D that goes into it is styling. That's not to say the name brands are not worth buying, the material, fit, finish, and quality will all be better than a $50 can, but that doesn't mean a $50 can won't work or isn't worth a try.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For the money it's worth a try. There is not too much technology in a can itself. . . The only R&D that goes into it is styling. . .
I was about to launch a big debate with you, and then thought to myself: The guy's right.

I just can't see Akra or others having a different 'template' for the big four Japanese bikes. Technically, I believe given each motor's different characteristics (valve overlap/compression etc) it seems logical that a specific can for each brand would be different. But I bet that cores and packing, as you suggest, are just the same.

Without sounding pompous, I think the only downside of an el cheapo can would be mates/others comments - and they'd probably be behind our back rather than to our face!

·
Registered
242 Posts
. . . Most were ok with trying out an el cheepo, as long as it didn’t have somebody else’s name on it. I believe that’s an option during purchase.
Ah, you mean like the Gucci/Louis Vitton market purchase 'original' handbags!!:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
One thing I don’t understand is buying a nice bike and putting cheap crap on it.
In some regards I agree 100%. Brakes, tires, probably even hand controls and clip ons. Things like a windshield? A slip on? If it works, run it.

Personally, I have a really hard time paying $500 for what amounts to a glass pack.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Just like other hard controls on your bike there are better performing wind screens and cans. I tend to go with performance. If you don’t care about performance or longevity then I see your point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I had a buddy who loves to buy the cheapest stuff have the throttle clip-on break WHILE on track at Chuckwalla. You want to risk your life or the life of another to save a few bucks, ugh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My apologies, I mis-read the title of the thread.....you were asking about "slip-on" not "clip-on". Nope I don't buy cheap eBay stuff but to each their own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts