Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New a new lid. RX7RR4 saved my brain last time, but could have been a little cooler, and sometimes seemed to get a little bit of a pressure point on my forehead (It was the proper size). The RX7 Corsair supposedly has better venting and a new cool-max type lining that my older RX7 did not.

Guys at www.helmetharbor.com rave about the new Shoei X-Eleven, but that could be because they can't sell me the new Arai's through the mail anymore. Supposedly vents much better, yet still quieter than the Arai? <-----

Any first hand comparo's?

·
Registered
459 Posts
haven't tried the shoei (not much good to you, i guess). but i did have an rx7-rr and have now got an rx-7 corsair...so i should have an opinion in a few weeks (that's if the weather gets warmer!!!). only the lining looks different at first glance...

·
Registered
526 Posts
After having a Quantum lid for going on 2 years now, I'm sold on Arai. Costly but they fit me perfectly. I'd go down to your dealer and try on both, seee which one fits better.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I wish it was that easy. I've called every single dealer listed on Shoei and Arai's website within 100 miles of me. Every single dealer told me that both of those helmets were too high end to stock. They told me that people wanting those helmets, knew what they wanted, and just ordered it. Doesn't help me out much in the way of sizing and comparison for a helmet I've never been able to touch.

rctyler - From the RX7RR4 to the new Corsair, supposedly the intake and exhaust holes went up to 10mm from 7.8mm, the top center vent was reversed to take in more air, they re-designed the breathguard to help with fogging, it's got the new dry-cool lining, and it lost 3 ounces. <----Not too shabby.

Overall I was pretty happy with the Arai, but if that new Shoei actually keeps you cooler, while being quieter and more stable at speed as claimed, I guess you can't really argue with that. Now if I only knew if it fit me...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nutz,

I have had 2 RX7RRs. I picked up a Shoei X-11 Daijiro Kato Memorial. I haven't worn the helmet on the bike yet, but I life the fit of it, and like you say, the guys at Helmet Harbor seem to be very impressed with the helmet. So did you actually buy a helmet yet? I may sell this one. Not sure if I am going to keep it. It's a medium. Fits on par with Arai sizing.

DoubleRR

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Have to stick with arai or suomy, the only helmets I have ever worn that I liked. Also the graphics on these are the only replicas that I really like, I just don't care for the shoei's fit or graphics even though I have also heard good things about the X-11.
Nice to see they have something to remember him (Kato) by.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ordered the X-11 today. I ran into the Shoei rep at the dealer and was impressed enough to make a decision. I ordered a large, and when it gets here he is going to check it out on my head and change out any/all pads necessary to make it fit perfect on my head - for free. :eek:

I guess they are so happy to be back in the dealership (They were dropped two years ago due to quality issues in favor of the Arai's they also sell) that they are trying to go the extra mile to make sure the customers are really satisfied.

Hell, I've been e-mailing Arai for 3 years, and have gotten a total of 0 responses back from them. Customer service made up my mind for me.

I post a review as soon as I have a bike to test it out on. :D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after riding with the X-11 for 4 days here are my thoughts. It may be slightly quieter but still very loud as most race helmets are. As far as cooling, it's negligible in the weather we've had here. Possibly less lift because of the wing, but can still feel the buffeting at high speeds. The fit and finish of the Arai RX7 is much better IMO.

The chin strap on the Shoei rubs me in a bad way. Never had that problem with the Arai. The built in chin spoiler is nice on the Arai, because it's retractable. The chin strap snap on the Shoei is crap, I could very easily snap the Arai with gloves on, you have to fight with the Shoei. The shield on the Arai has very smooth motion. You can push anywhere on the shield and it complys. The Shoei, you have to push it right in the middle otherwise is torques and doesn't do what you want it to.

After having read the glowing reviews on the X-11, I had high expectations. It was not near what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very high end helmet, it's just not what I was hoping for. I havn't decided if I'm going to get rid of it and go back to an Arai yet. It does fit me pretty well, and with it possibly being quieter, more air flow, less buffeting (Even a little), it makes me want to keep it longer for a better idea of what it can do.

Shoei definitely did take a huge leap forward with this helmet. I just wish Arai would do a total redesign of the RX7 line to give me that little bit extra I'm looking for in a $600 helmet. They've been milking it for about 6 years now. Maybe some track time will change my mind.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nutz,

I sold the X-11 and got myself an AGV Ti Tech. It's not here yet. I did want to try the X-11 though. It's got good reviews and the dudes at Helmet Harbor seem to think highly of it. Anyhow, I wanted the Ti Tech. Rossi seemed to like it, so why not..

G

·
Arai did re-do stuff for their RX-7 Corsair (sp?) Well, they changed the padding that they were using on the inside...it's not the same as the rest of Arai's helmets...and they flipped the air vent on the front forehead...it's a badd ass helmet...sorry I'm so late with this, but my brother's had two Arai's in the last two years, both RX-7 Corsair's and they have both been amazing. If I wouldn't have been looking to save money when I bought my two left over 2002 Arai's, I would have gotten me one of those in a heart beat...that and I like the fit of the Signet GT a little bit better...I'm not too big a fan of the new padding...it kinda feels...sticky? to me...maybe it'll be better once it gets broken in. When I got my first helmet I had to choose between Shoei and Arai...and I'm really glad I went with Arai...although my dealership sucks at getting in replacement parts for my helmet....kind of a hassle, but it's worth it. :D

G

·
DoubleR said:
Nutz,

I sold the X-11 and got myself an AGV Ti Tech. It's not here yet. I did want to try the X-11 though. It's got good reviews and the dudes at Helmet Harbor seem to think highly of it. Anyhow, I wanted the Ti Tech. Rossi seemed to like it, so why not..

Rossi's kind of got a weird looking head...and he gets payed to like it...although...with his status, I'm sure he could walk in to any helmet sponsorship he wished.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
meddiepie954rr said:
Arai did re-do stuff for their RX-7 Corsair (sp?) Well, they changed the padding that they were using on the inside...it's not the same as the rest of Arai's helmets...and they flipped the air vent on the front forehead...

Yeah, I'm aware of the changes they made. Read my second post in this thread. :wink:

My dealer also sucks for Arai help and parts ordering. Actually it's not really them, it's Arai. They never answer any of my e-mail's either.

I've owned two previous RX7's but not a Corsair. When I say I wish Arai would to a total redesign, it's because they still havn't done anything to quiet down the helmet at all (If Shoei can do it so could they), and they should try and do something to help give some downforce. Both nice helmets with nice features.

Now if only they would team up... They could design a helmet to take over the world! :twisted:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey just a note. I had mine custom painted. It was rather cheep. Here is the website, the guy is awesome! My helmet is the street bike helmet spinning at the top. I'm not trying to sell him, I'm just very happy with his work. http:\\www.tkdesigns.us

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, thanks for the link. I've been looking for a good painter, and most places that do decent work charge a fortune. It's nice that this guy actually has his prices listed for the helmets shown online. Not many guys do. He looks pretty darn reasonable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i like arai better. I went to a motorcycle shop in town and tried both out... the arai has better fit for my head. I bought the hayden replica from ebay...one from japan.. i love it. it's a little smaller than the US size but i guess i have a small head hahaa... but i got the Rx7 corsair 2004 replica for 450 which is not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i had three Arais Rx7.First got stolen 2 got trashed in a get off. 3rd sold because it no longer fit.(cut hair from dreadlocks and lost 20 lbs). I didn't want to shell another 600 for another aria. the reason why the aria has so much noiseis because of the vents in it.I ordered the hjc ac mc1. Sport rideer did a right up on it and said it was just as good as the shoie or aria and has the same features( removable cheekpads). I got from M.A.W. for 165.00.so for those of you who don't want to shell out the big bucks its a really good deal.I seen this helmet insome shops going for 250 to350 bucks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, since this thread got dragged back up, I might as well tell you all how it worked out. I ended up getting the X-11 in medium, and after some more ride time with it, here are my updated impressions. It was snug, but the large was too big. I do think it is a little quieter than my RX7-RR4, which I believe is due to the chin spoiler cloth actually contacting my chin rather than just directing the air down like the Arai, and the Shoei possibly vents a tiny bit better, though it hasn't been terribly hot here yet to test. Other than that, I miss my Arai. The fit and finish on the Arai is superior, and the features and user friendliness is way better with the Arai.

Some people say the shields are hard to change on the Arai's, I can change the shield on my Arai 10x as fast as the Shoei. The shield also has this ratcheting-type feel to it, rather than the smooth motion of the Arai's. The chin vent on the Shoei is stiff, and sounds like it's going to break when I slide it up and down. The interior on the Shoei makes this crinkling noise at speed, that sounds like little rocks hitting the helmet... quite annoying. The chin strap snap is total crap, I have to fight with it everytime I put the helmet on. It makes this ridiculous honking/whistling noise when you turn your head way to the side to look behind you, and it seems to be amplified when riding a passenger. The medium and large X-11 use a totally different shell, so only the cheekpads are interchangable and not the top pads, so it's hard to get a good custom fit. The Arai's have many many combinations, giving you a more comfortable and safer fit.

I'm waiting untill it gets hotter here to find out if it really vents as well as it's claimed to do. If it's not noticibly better, I'll probably sell it and go back to Arai. I hope this helps someone out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.