Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm returning to riding sport bikes after riding cruisers for a few years.

I've just finished reading through a ton of threads regarding safety gear.

Very good reading, but lots and lots of suggestions, a bit overwhelming tbh.

I have a decent budget for gear, and would like suggestions on gear for street riding that is protective and reasonably comfortable.

The older I get the more aware of how NOT indestrucable I am.
I've been in a few accidents and appreciate the gear, as its saved my life. I have not bought gear in a long time though.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions. At this point, I think I'd prefer 2 piece leathers, but im open to 1 piece suggestions as well.

Leathers, Boots, gloves, helmet etc...

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It really is a matter of personal preference, but in my opinion, unless you plan on doing track days or racing, get a 2 piece. You can take the jacket off when it's time for a break. Most organizations will let you do track days with a two piece, but if you move up to a faster group, you'll want or need to upgrade to a one piece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LA2SD,

Thanks, you're spot on regarding the abilty to take the jacket off.
I do not plan on tracking at all. This gear is all for the street.
Very good point.

If you have any suggestions regarding which brands of leathers I should take a look at I'd appreciate it, thanks.

·
Stand your ground
1,101 Posts
Just like helmets its really all about fit. Don't buy a suit if it doesn't fit your body type, period. Go to a large shop and try on everything you can while sitting on a bike. Keep in mind that they do break in, but a poor fitting suit will always be a poor fitting suit. I am tall and skinny so finding an off the shelf suit is impossible. Hopefully you will be luckier than I in that department. All the name brands are making quality stuff right now. As long as you stay away from the Cyclegear house brands (Bilt, Sedici, etc) you will be alright. Some examples of good suits are:

Alpinestars
Dainese
RS Taichi
RST
Spidi
RevIT

·
Registered
904 Posts
Alpinestars run small in everything except boots. I normally wear a Medium glove, but had to go up to XL in the GP Pro R2 glove. I normally wear a size 40US in leathers, and had to go up to 42US in Alpinestars. I normally wear a 44 in boots, but had to go down to 43 in Alpinestars.

The Alpinestars gloves are not comfortable at all to me. I have a pair of Spidi's that are much more comfortable, but lack some of the protection. I'm sure there is an inverse relationship between comfort and protection, but the A*'s are just miserable. And not cheap. They do look great though.

By far the most comfortable boots I've found are the Sidi's. I went with the Sidi ST (they have vented and non-vented versions) from Chromeburner. They are located in the Netherlands, and if you can wait an extra week for shipping, they have unbeatable prices. The "premium" Sidi boot is the Vortice, but it's a pain to get in and out of.

I always wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. When I hit the twisties I wear full leathers. I raced and always preferred the one-piece suits, although they are a pain to get into. You can unzip them and pull off the top part, then zip them up a bit and leave the top hanging if you stop and want to cool off.

You can get separate back and chest protectors, but you may have to go up a size in leathers for them to fit. There is also armor for your hips. Elbow, shoulder, and knee protection is built-in to most hardcore gear. The new Alpinestar leathers have airbags as a ~$1k accessory.

Revzilla has some pretty thorough reviews of most anything you can find motorcycle-related to help you make buying decisions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saiyan and Liquid,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, it's incredibly helpful.
There's so much gear out there and it all looks great on the web. Deteriming which to choose is daunting.

You've really helped me narrow it down to a reasonable amount of gear to consider.

I've been looking at gear on revzilla, thanks for the suggestion.

The Alpinestars Missile v2 Pants/GP Plus R v2 Airflow Jacket combo looks good.

So does the Alpinestars Atem v3 Jacket and Track leather pants.

I'm going to have to hit a shop, and try it on as suggested, and boots/gloves as well. Appreciate the info on the fitment and comfort.

Those revzilla reviews are great btw.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I forgot to mention I see a lot of the "more mature" riders wearing Dianese gear. It certainly is good, just pricey. Couldn't tell you about the fit. The A* Atem is a super-racey tight fit FYI.

I have some Joe Rocket textile gear and it is a more accurate, US fit.

And one last thing, be sure to PM TJ @RidersDiscount about pricing (ridersdiscount.com). Their forum pricing is always lower than what I can find on the web, if they carry it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take a look at AGV, they seem to be closing everything out and word is they are leaving the US market. Good way to get something high quality for a decent price; I've got a leather and textile from AGV.

RST is just breaking into the US market (they are popular in Europe) and seem to be very high quality for a super reasonable price. STG has a ton on sale atm with more on the way (this first batch was a test order for them). I've got a pair of their boots and found them to be much better than Astars for 1/4 the cost. Of course, we'll see how they last in the long run but my SMX boots haven't left a very high bar for them to beat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liquid and Gsinid,

Appreciate the info greatly, tyvm.

I currently have a very old Joe Rocket Leather Perf, and an old HJC Crevier FG-12, yeah, Fg-12 , hahahah. It's kinda minty looking too, always bagged it after riding, but its old as dirt lmao!

My favorite helmet that I ever owned was an X-8 Shoei Air Falcon, Yeah, I came up riding in the mid 90's. It was ripped off about 2 years after I bought it, and I couldn't afford to replace it. So I grabbed the lower priced HJC, which worked fine enough, honeslty it wasn't close to the comfort of the Shoei and it was not as quiet, but you get what you pay for of course.

With all that said, Im looking at new helmets now.

2 on my radar are:

Shoei RF-1200 and the HJC RPHA 11

Summer temps where I live are high 90s to low 100s often. So air flow has to be good, if not great.

So we shall see...

If you guys have any feedback on these 2 helmets I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If those are the two you've narrowed it down to, I'd go Shoei without questions; I wouldn't even consider any HJC comparable.

I too ride in hot weather, did two road trips to Vegas in July and August, and air-flow is most important. This is why I'm wearing Arai but, my riding buddies mostly are in Shoei RF's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It gets hot here too (Arizona). As for helmets: I have a Shoei RF-1200 for 3 seasons, then I have an AGV K3-sv for summer. The AGV is not the quality of the Shoei, but it has more airflow than any other helmet I've worn. (and it was fairly inexpensive).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Good info for sure.
I nearly pulled the trigger on the RF-1200 then I found the Bell Race star...

What are your thoughts on the Bell Race Star helmet?
The reviews state it's a quiet helmet with nice airflow and great safety features.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Look at 6D helmets. Their technology is changing the industry. Along with all contact sports. The NFL had a huge multi million dollar competition where the final 4 got 1/4 mill a piece. 6D won. It is a totally different design and tech and WAY more safe than any of the top brands out there. They started out if off road mot helmets but have had a street version for a while now. A friend of mine was in an endurance race and crashed in the rain, she has had concussion induced symptoms for almost 2 years and just recently started to ride again. Did a track day with her yesterday and told her about the new 6D helmet that is on sale right now, not cheap but worth it.

https://www.6dhelmets.com/innovation/

·
Superbike Squid Bro
501 Posts
Ive been riding with a $100 pair of zip up leather over pants for years. I crash tested them in 2007 with a 45 mph slide and they still look like new, just brush them off LOL

Last year I hit them with a little neatsfoot oil and it softened them up a bit, very comfortable in the cold or the hot and you can open the side zippers a little when you are off the bike to cool off.

Ive been wearing Alpinestars Black Label leather jacket since 2006, paid about $250 on ebay NWT. I crash tested that too, same thing just brush it off and it looks like new. Jackets with zipper vents in the shoulders and back help control your body temp if you open them it draw air through.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bosarge and Saratoga,

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it very much.

Re: helmet, I bought one finally.

I went to a local Cycle Gear and tried out some Helmets yesterday.

After trying on the Shoe RF-1200, I was sold. Perfect fit, but...the colors and graphics didn't appeal at all to me. Left the store, searched on line all day still no luck locating one I liked in my size.

So I switched gears and began considering other helmets to choose from. Shoei x14, Arai Corsair X, Bell Race Star.

In the process of scouring the Net for a helmet, and after reading countless threads and reviews, I came across a Close-Out on Arai Corsair X, priced very near what I was going to spend on a shoei rf-1200.

After a quick phone call to the vendor addressing Sizing related to the Shoei rf, (which fit perfectly), and addressing the return policy. I went with the Corsair X.

Thanks again for all the info and help to all that chimed in. I appreciate it greatly!

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thought I'd update this thread, as I've purchased my gear. I'd also like to thank all you guys for the help in narrowing down the gear to look at.

I just took my first ride with ALL the new gear, and it helped inspire confidence knowing that if I went down, at least I could mitigate the injuries. Free the mind to concentrate on riding etc...yadda yadda yadda...

I got some great deals online, and relied on the advice given in this thread with great results.

I was able to try helmets and jackets on locally to determine size, and then buy online at two well known vendors at nice discounts.

I ended up with the gear below, and love it.

Helmet: Arai Corsair X
Jacket: AlpineStars Jaws Leather Perf
Boots: Sidi Vertigo 2
Gloves: AGV Sport Intrepid

I still need a pair of riding pants, leathers or jeans, but have not found a pair to try on locally, I may just have to buy according to size charts and hope for the best. I'm looking at matching A*s, the track pants look perfect.

I may start another thread, but does anyone have any feedback regarding A* track pants re: air flow, heat etc...
Or any suggestoins for armored riding jeans. (I've never owned a pair of riding jeans).

Any way, serious thanks to all you guys! All the suggestions and help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts