Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2008 1000rr that I just bought, only has around 1600 miles on it, so it has been sitting for quite a while most likely.

When I ride the bike starts to surge and buck as if it were running out of fuel....if I use a super light throttle I can cruise but I can still feel it faintly, if I twist it up the bike just starts to cut out.

I've been able to temporarlity fix this by pulling the clutch, hitting the ignition switch for a second and then restarting the bike, then it seems much better for the next few minutes before it starts acting up again.....

Any ideas guys?

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
1) fuel flow test
2) fuel pressure check
3) pump strainer screen clean....pending above test results
4) injector flow test....& clean if needed

may need new plugs if still persists. recently fouled mine after not flushing old fuel out of upper rail & secondary inj's

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the suggestions, It's definitely not a plug issue. I'm 100% positive it is fuel, I just dont know the culprit and what actually "resets" so to speak when I toggle the ignition.

I'm going to check voltage and everything charging today as well.

Has anyone ever seen a pump just be lazy like this? Most just flat out quit usually right?

Yeah it was a clogged pump sock....pulled the tank and nothing but brown rust sediment in the bottom of the tank....filthy!!!

Yeah for sure about the seafoam.

Its a 2008 with 1600 miles on it now.....it sat for a while obviously and once that rust starts.....

Once I started putting gas in it and driving it through a couple tanks Im sure it just loosened all the crap in there.

I got it all cleaned up and brushed the inside of the tank and cleaned up yesterday, drove to work today with no issues, put a new sock on order today as well and going to clean the tank again when I replace it.

Do you have a power commander?

If it's still doing the same issue once you put it back together, disconnect the power commander, and ride it. If it rides fine, then your PC went bad. This happens every now and then with PC's.
Yes it does have a PC and that is good to know for future reference. Thanks.

·
chipmaker
1,215 Posts
Ok thanks for the suggestions, It's definitely not a plug issue. I'm 100% positive it is fuel, I just dont know the culprit and what actually "resets" so to speak when I toggle the ignition.

I'm going to check voltage and everything charging today as well.

Has anyone ever seen a pump just be lazy like this? Most just flat out quit usually right?
if supply side of pump is restricted due to clogged/dirty strainer, it can seem "lazy", only to get worse as fuel demand rises in the upper rpm range.

you're toggling ignition also initiates pump priming, which kinda suggests it's as pump issue.

didn't think mine was a plug problem either, till I ran out of options....leave it for last

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Wow, how'd it get so rusty? I removed the fuel pump on my '08 over the winter and cleaned the screen. It was nowhere near as filthy as that.

The PO obviously didn't take care of it very well. I'd run some Seafoam through the system after you get it all back together. If the screen looks that bad I'm sure the injectors have some stuff in them, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good day all.
Anyone experienced the following:
cbr1000rr 2005. When starting bike over fuels so much so it fowls plugs.
If i start and rev until 50 degrees bike behaves better. power loss on low revs but if opening throttle bike responds well.
At wits end here. .Could it be a faulty pressure regulator and if so why only when cold...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day all.
Anyone experienced the following:
cbr1000rr 2005. When starting bike over fuels so much so it fowls plugs.
If i start and rev until 50 degrees bike behaves better. power loss on low revs but if opening throttle bike responds well.
At wits end here. .Could it be a faulty pressure regulator and if so why only when cold...
Hello I seem to have the same problem with my 05 cbr1000rr. I installed a 07 engine in my 05 everything runs perfect after a while I've been riding it to work and back but usually by the time I get to work it's getting up to operating temp. I would try to ride on the weekends for longer. It only seems to happen when it's fully warmed up that I'll be at a complete stop I go to take off and then it stumbles until I reach 4k rpms then it powers through but runs like crap. I also noticed this weird sound when down shifting it kind of sounds like cicadas chattering. Have you figured out your problem yet ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Morning. My problem was the tps was set at 0.79 closed throttle. I set to 0.5 volt and overfuelling resolved. Don't know in your case however. I would also suggest you check ecu and get it flashed as you running different engine model to elec system. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts