Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 4 hour ride yesterday with my brother who works for the company that owns Indian Motorcycles so he got a big cruiser will full fairings and running boards, etc., and I rode my '17 SP.
We rode out of San Diego at Sea level and went east and north out through Ramona and to Julian at 4000 feet. Nice smooth clean roads and fun curves. Temps were dropping and cars coming back for farther up had snow on them so we decided to turn around to go back a difference way. We stopped and traded bikes for about 5 miles. It was my first time riding a heavy cruiser. It was very comfortable and I probably could have gotten used to the feet out forward and different shifting position on the beast but the Ape hanger handle bars just were not my style. The big twin was torquey and you just roll over into the turns, probably a good ride on the open road. When we switched back I was never so glad to get back on my light and nimble sport bike. We took some curvy backroad and a couple dirt roads. Now my bike needs a good cleaning and though I was a little rusty from my flattrack days the CBR isn't too bad on dirt roads, even with the stock street tire. Using the softest suspension setting it absorbed the bumps and holes ok. At 4 hours with a couple breaks I was just beginning to got sore but the new Luimoto seat cover and gel insert combined with the new riding pants made for a decent ride.
So a nice New Year winter ride. Have a good year all.

·
a d m i n
151,028 Posts
Hoo Yaa..! There is an ass for every seat, hence why such a vast array of motorcycles available.

·
Can't Spell
411 Posts
I'v riden 4-5 harleys at work by now. Hated every one of them. They might be better if they didn't have v twins but as it stands thats a hard no for me.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went for another 60 mile ride today. Had to fill the tank. Calculator shows 43 miles to the gallon with speeds between 70 and 80 mph. Performance and Economy, life is good!

·
Registered
376 Posts
40mpg is pretty typical on the CBR1000RR. Actually gets better mileage than the CBR600RR (~36mpg). Back when I used to commute I only get 25-30mpg from waiting at all the stop lights and stop/go traffic.

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
40mpg is pretty typical on the CBR1000RR. Actually gets better mileage than the CBR600RR (~36mpg). Back when I used to commute I only get 25-30mpg from waiting at all the stop lights and stop/go traffic.
I'd be fuckin elated either way...

I'm getting about 9-10 mpg on the 600

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So one thing I find with my sport bike vs other full fendered bikes is my '17 SP is always trying to fill my shoes with road gravel. Unless my riding pants are over the boots the rear tire throws fine gravel into the cuff of my boots. Also since I put on the fender eliminator I find gravel on the seat behind me. Anyone else have to minor annoyance. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's the legs that are the main issue for me during longer rides. I have the E-energy seat and 1 inch rise over stock handlebar but being 6' my legs start cramping up after 2 hours no matter what there's just not enough room to prevent leg strain the geometry isn't comfortable for taller guys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ergonomics are a big reason why I love my supermoto so much. It's just as fast as a sport bike on most twisty roads and you can do it sitting bolt upright with arms legs back all relaxed.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am restoring my VFR750 for the long ride bike for those reasons, it is more upright, enough legroom, and a large Corbin seat, and it is fun as a cruiser crossed with a sport bike, not as quick and nimble as the '17 SP but for a day long cruiser it is great.

·
BOTM Moderator
359 Posts
Best cure for long sport bike rides.. Yoga..
learn to fold your legs into your jacket pocket and ride on..
LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts