Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure bar end weights ( BEW ) have been discussed endlessly but I couldn't find and answer to my question so here goes :

I just installed a set of Apex riser bars but did not install any bar end weights. ( The Apex bars have an internal diameter of 0.750" ) I did an Iron Butt ride the other day and had no numbing of the hands but could feel a bit of a buzz. I think I will install some BEWs but I have a couple of questions:

Some of the weights that I have seen online are aluminum. Why aluminum? Why not use steel as, gram for gram, they are far smaller for the same weight ? Cost to manufacture ?

This may be for the physics majors out there, but could you not use a solid steel bar and insert it such that it is totally inside the bar ? No additional width this way. I have a lathe and can easily make my own - external or internal. A couple drops of Loctite sleeve retainer 609 would easily hold internal weights in place.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aluminum maybe just for cost. I assume they are more for aesthetics since steel is heavier. Form over function?

I would guess the weights are usually installed at the end of the bars not only because it's easier, but weight that's further from the source of movement will probably be more effective at dampening it. Imagine holding a sledgehammer horizontally. It'll be much easier to move up and down holding the heavier hammer side than the end of the handle.

The day I bought my CBR600RR years ago, I did a stupid. While walking my bike a few steps at a gas station on the first fill-up, my shoelaces tangled in the footpeg and I ended up falling over with it. Aside from my ego, I broke the brake lever and bar end off. From there I made a 5 hour ride home with a nub for a front brake which caused some panic the few times I forgot it wasn't there and tried to squeeze air. Once I got home, my right hand was completely numb while the left was just fine. So, they definitely help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like your logic as to keeping them on the ends. So be it.

As to your tipover... back in my KLR days, some riders used to take a hacksaw to their levers and cut a slice about 1/4 of the way through, about an inch or two from the outside end. If the bike ever went over, the sacrificial end would snap off but leave enough to remain functional. Sometimes just on the clutch end.

·
Super-Moderator
536 Posts
My two previous bikes, I rode for a period of time, (years) with, then without on one, and lighter weight billet bar ends on the other moto.

The vibration and hand numbing was real! Those heavier bar ends really make a difference for me.

I do get considerable buzziness/numbing from the small stock bar ends on my ‘18 SP, so I’m looking to possibly get heavier ones, and need to cut out eating pizza for a few weeks to balance out the equation. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Woodcraft heavy bar ends are weighted and have a Delrin? plastic to act as sliders in case of a crash and they do an excellent job of damping vibration just as good as OEM bars even without the internal bar weights. Most of the aluminum ends you find on eBay are just for looks and do little to keep your hand from going numb.

And previous reply is correct. For the same amount of weight if you put it further out you increase the moment of inertia more than putting it as a rod.

To be precise, a weight on the end is 3x more effective than a bar through the handlebar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With all of this great engineering talent, does anyone have an opinion as to whether steel or rubber insert mounting anchors for inside the bar are better ?

I found that I have some 416 stainless steel rod so I'm going to try making my own end weights.

Edit: My bars are .750" ID so I am going to make some steel inserts about 2-3" long and Loctite them in place. ( But still removable ). Per the above comments, that won't be as a replacement for proper external dampers, but it should add to the dampening effect. I will leave about a 1/4" air space to the bar end so that I can turn the BEWs with a slightly smaller diameter on the ends so they fit in the bar recess. The ends on my grips are 1.375" so the BEW will match that. I figure about 1.50" long should be enough.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I went through the same issue when I installed the Apex 4 inch risers and ended up taking the stock internal bar weights, cutting them shorter to lenght, having the cut end machined down to match the original end, and trimming down the rubber insulator ring to fit into the Apex smaller diameter bar, and installing Driven racing bar ends

I think if you install a solid bar of anything inside the bar without some sort of insulator (such as the stock internal weight having rubber insulators) to allow the internal weight to soak up vibration so you don't feel it in the bar in self I have a feeling you will still feel and possibly feel more vibration.

If you look at the several aftermarket bar ends sold to reduce bar vibration (heavier bar ends) most (from what I can remember) are installed by crushing a rubber Inkster to hold it in the bar. This is so it can be used in aftermarket bars without an internal threaded bar weight but also to insulate vibration and allow the weight to soak up the vibration not the bar itself

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
My two previous bikes, I rode for a period of time, (years) with, then without on one, and lighter weight billet bar ends on the other moto.

The vibration and hand numbing was real! Those heavier bar ends really make a difference for me.

I do get considerable buzziness/numbing from the small stock bar ends on my ‘18 SP, so I’m looking to possibly get heavier ones, and need to cut out eating pizza for a few weeks to balance out the equation. :p
TSR bar ends are excellent. Very nicely machined, shiny chrome steel and so look the goods as well.

:ROFLMAO: I went to look for pictures and I don't think I even got to take any before the stock bars came off

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
TSR bar ends are excellent. Very nicely machined, shiny chrome steel and so look the goods as well.

:ROFLMAO: I went to look for pictures and I don't think I even got to take any before the stock bars came off

TSR stainless steel bar end weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bit too impatient to order the BEWs and C-19 has left a lot of us with time on hands. So I spent some time in the basement on the lathe. These are 0.114" larger in diameter and about 1/16" longer than stock. The stock BEWs weight 118 grams each; these are 176 grams each ( getting a perfect weight match was more good luck than good machining. ) They are made from 416 stainless steel. Not sure how I will finish them, clear or black powder coat. Even stainless can rust and that wouldn't look so good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sorry for my stupid question. But the bar ends keep the vibration down and that's what makes your hands numb? The vibration that is. I've rode CBR bikes since 1995 and just never thought of that. I just figured it was to do with balance or something. I got a 04 and it came with no bar ends ,and I have noticed my hands do get numb. I would like to get new grips. Should I just get a set of good grips and ends??? Any suggestions? Or should I get any type of grips and buy a certain pair of bar ends? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The internal bar weights is what mainly reduces vibration in the bars but if you want to reduce the vibration further OR if you have aftermarket clip on bars they do not have internal bar weights then you can find heavier bar ends.
The main cause of numb hands while riding is holding onto the grips to tight, improper fitting gloves (to tight/small), or leaning your weight on your hands
With heavier bar ends and some softer thicker grips it should be all you need along with not death gripping the grips or using your core and not leaning your upper body weight on your hands

1 - 17 of 17 Posts