Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Please take the Dave Moss video referenced in the OP, with a grain of salt.

He may have accurate suspension info and knows what to advise people with regard to suspension setup but is also not totally informed about the nuances of the SC77 Ohlins ECS.

For one thing, setting static sag with an electronic system while it is powered off is rather pointless as the moment you turn the bike on the suspension adjusts itself.

Also he still has not responded to my questions about why he is telling people to use M2 instead of M1.

·
a d m i n
151,008 Posts
E-Settings.png

Screenshot from @nigelrb viddy.

Did they mention anything about pulling the ABS fuse? Curious how that part works for them?

·
Banned
820 Posts
Screenshot from @nigelrb viddy.

Did they mention anything about pulling the ABS fuse? Curious how that part works for them?
I won't be answering that one. Waaay too technical for me, although it might be a quick-fix ABS disabling technique. :eek:

·
a d m i n
151,008 Posts
I won't be answering that one. Waaay too technical for me, although it might be a quick-fix ABS disabling technique. :eek:
Well, it’s been often said in many a review, that our SC-77’s have an potential issue wt ABS interference at the track. I’m curious how they mitigate this at the track school.. :unsure:

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Well, it’s been often said in many a review, that our SC-77’s have an potential issue wt ABS interference at the track. I’m curious how they mitigate this at the track school.. :unsure:
Its the rear wheel lift mitigation. If you are a very fast rider it will eventually bite you. Medium to normal, probably no need to worry.
Pulling the ABS fuse for the track day is the solution and works well.
You will only get this to activate if you threshold brake hard enough to lighten the rear wheel.

·
a d m i n
151,008 Posts
Its the rear wheel lift mitigation. If you are a very fast rider it will eventually bite you. Medium to normal, probably no need to worry.
Pulling the ABS fuse for the track day is the solution and works well.
You will only get this to activate if you threshold brake hard enough to lighten the rear wheel.
Very interesting, thank you.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Very interesting, thank you.
The system will detect rear wheel lift due to rotation speed changes and in an effort to prevent rear wheel lockup and wheel hop or skid will pulse the front brake to reduce brake pressure to bring the back wheel down - if you are already threshold braking you will probably run out of room to slow in time for your tip in point.

SC82 has a track mode for the ABS that is supposed to disable this feature.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Please take the Dave Moss video referenced in the OP, with a grain of salt.

He may have accurate suspension info and knows what to advise people with regard to suspension setup but is also not totally informed about the nuances of the SC77 Ohlins ECS.

For one thing, setting static sag with an electronic system while it is powered off is rather pointless as the moment you turn the bike on the suspension adjusts itself.

Also he still has not responded to my questions about why he is telling people to use M2 instead of M1.
How could the electronic suspension influence sag in any way? My understanding is the servos only control rebound/compression and preload is still set manually with an adjuster at the base of the shock.

Sag numbers are rate independent measurements taken when the only force exerted by the shock on the frame/rear link is from the shock spring alone, so I don't think it would make a difference if the bike is on or off. Adjusting the rebound/compression would only affect how quick the suspension settles into the static/rider sag numbers.

Reactions: Fearless1776

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
How could the electronic suspension influence sag in any way? My understanding is the servos only control rebound/compression and preload is still set manually with an adjuster at the base of the shock.

View attachment 259741

Sag numbers are rate independent measurements taken when the only force exerted by the shock on the frame/rear link is from the shock spring alone, so I don't think it would make a difference if the bike is on or off. Adjusting the rebound/compression would only affect how quick the suspension settles into the static/rider sag numbers.
Then by the same token you should be able to set sag when the R1M with Ohlins ECS is off and the suspension is rock hard, right?

In the SC77 the suspension remains compliant when the bike is off.
In the R1M the suspension is rock hard when the bike is turned off.

Both systems are the same but the OEMs choose different resting states.

Why would Ohlins tell me then that all adjustments to suspension need to be made when bike is turned on?
If I am wrong I am wrong, but I am basing my opinion on feedback from Ohlins.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,378 Posts
What are the model numbers for the stock fork and shock Ohlins on the SP '19 ?
FORK ASSY., R. FR. (OHLINS)
51400-MKF-D62

FORK ASSY., L. FR. (OHLINS)
51500-MKF-D62

CUSHION ASSY., RR. (OHLINS)
52430-MKF-D61

You don't want to know the prices 😜

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks
I was looking on Ohlins website to get more information about them
This is what they have

Product no.StatusCategoryBrandModelProduct FamilyProduct TypeModel Years
FKR 109ActiveMotorcycleHondaCBR1000RR SP/SP2 (Öhlins FL 926)FKR 100Cartridge kit2017-2019
HO 468ActiveMotorcycleHondaCBR1000RR SP/SP2 (Öhlins FL 926)TTX GPShock absorber2017-2019

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Thanks
This is what they have

FKR 109ActiveMotorcycleHondaCBR1000RR SP/SP2 (Öhlins FL 926)FKR 100Cartridge kit2017-2019
HO 468ActiveMotorcycleHondaCBR1000RR SP/SP2 (Öhlins FL 926)TTX GPShock absorber2017-2019
These components convert the forks from semi-active to full static along with the appropriate shock.

But they take the forks to full WSBK SuperStock competition level and may not provide the broad range of functionality you might be looking for for a track/street bike.

@LDH can well address the large jump in performance between the OEM supplied Ohlins and the kit fitted forks.

The forks we have on our stock bike are Hondas interpretation of the re-packaging of the OEM level Ohlins supplied to all the manufacturers and I found when I contacted Ohlins directly they referred me back to Honda to discuss the specifics of the Honda versions :)

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR1000RR (base)
21 Posts
Thanks
This is what they have

I recently installed a TTX rear and FGK FC002 cartridges that I bought from Kyle Racing @LDH.

For whatever reason the Ohlins US site doesn’t list the FC002 cartridges but the Euro site does.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
FC002 are not cartridges. They are extended Fork Caps we make for Ohlins USA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts