Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm slowly adding goodies to my '19 SP and am itching to put a pipe and tune on it.

I'm torn between something short/loud/aggressive and longer/quieter which would probably be easier on my ears on longer rides. Most of the riding I do is out in the TX hill country through twisty, country roads, then the track after that. Though I do like something that sounds aggressive and mean.

My favorite looking exhausts are probably the short ones - Akrapovic GP shorty or SC Project low-mount. They don't get in the way of the swingarm and just show the bike. Though they're loud and they're beside my head on the bike instead of behind it.

After that, I like the short style cans like the SC project high-mount or Austin Racing. Don't look as good as the others, but they sound awesome and are a bit farther back so maybe they aren't as loud while riding.

Last the longer cans that look fine, just not as good as the shorter ones IMO. That's the SC Project SC1R (which I think sounds the best, but I don't really like the looks), Akra evo full system, or Graves titanium.

I wear earplugs. My neighbors already hate me because of the SC Project on my RSV4. Does anyone have any experience/advice to offer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the 2 bros short can i believe it was cyclone version. a little loud but has a great tone..deep and throaty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I too am looking into exhausts, and I keep coming back to the same thing. Akrapovic is the best company. They not only look great, but they are also functional, adding performance with the looks. I’m probably going slip on gp style, and in the future update the headers. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd get a longer/larger muffler over a short one mainly for the tone. I hate the harsh sound of short exhausts (TOCE being the absolute worst offender). A fiberglass packed muffler cuts out the higher pitch sounds and leaves a nice deep growl at low revs that just ROARS as you wind it up without sounding tinny.

A lot of the cheaper shorty exhausts are nothing more than a straight pipe with a tiny bit of packing that does little to nothing for sound reduction.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
39 Posts
I put a Yoshimura muffler on my '86 VFR750 since it took off quite a few pounds and was long enough to not be very loud, but the '17 SP has titanium exhaust and is fairly light and I like its sound, throaty without being loud and fits well so I am not hot to change it, but we each have our own preferences so do it your way. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
So from people I've talked to with dynos on the 19 sc77 its basically either full akro or full yoshi both are pretty solid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So from people I've talked to with dynos on the 19 sc77 its basically either full akro or full yoshi both are pretty solid.
And according to Eric at EDR, their stacks with ecu flash and free mods, will get you more horsepower than the full system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The flash is the most relevant thing for sure you get like 20hp right off the bat just from removing restrictions if you are on a US SC77. As far as I understand though stacks aren't going to fix the mid range power issue. Headers and tuning are what fixes that, the bike is kinda choked out. That's why generally you get headers/exhaust/air filter/free air intake restriction removal to fix the air related issues then tune it. With the right setup you are probably looking at around 25-30hp gained if you do all of those.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stacks should only add around 3-4 hp usually.
That would be normally be true, and i am not here to argue about what is doing what. My statement is based off the word of a tuner & engine builder, who has done his own testing. EDR builds some amazing machines, and I have never known Eric to Lie about a product and his testing. everyone knows the stock exhaust system flows pretty damn well and is fairly light. I figure i already have Pauls flash, full akra system, why not give the stacks a shot and see if i feel anything different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That would be normally be true, and i am not here to argue about what is doing what. My statement is based off the word of a tuner & engine builder, who has done his own testing. EDR builds some amazing machines, and I have never known Eric to Lie about a product and his testing. everyone knows the stock exhaust system flows pretty damn well and is fairly light. I figure i already have Pauls flash, full akra system, why not give the stacks a shot and see if i feel anything different.
Stacks are probably the next step do after you finish doing the other air related fixes and you will get some gains for sure. The stock exhaust loses you like 5-10hp roughly. Either way you cant go wrong most of these mods are simple enough to get knocked out. Sound wise I really like pretty much all of them.

·
Hook 'em!
2,984 Posts
Akrapovič claims a gain of 6.57 HP with their Racing Line (Titanium) S-H10R8-APLT full exhaust in combination with special mapping developed by Akrapovič R&D in collaboration with their partner Rapid Bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Akrapovič claims a gain of 6.57 HP with their Racing Line (Titanium) S-H10R8-APLT full exhaust in combination with special mapping developed by Akrapovič R&D in collaboration with their partner Rapid Bike.
This would fall inline with what other companies are saying for this bike for their full systems.. not some huge gain like you find on some other models.
r0hx, I am clearly just stating what someone who has had multiple 17-19 cbr's on his dyno for testing and comparing various exhausts with and without a flash, and also with different stacks.. in case you didn't know our stacks take the throttle body opening down a few mm in diameter choking out the motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This would fall inline with what other companies are saying for this bike for their full systems.. not some huge gain like you find on some other models.
r0hx, I am clearly just stating what someone who has had multiple 17-19 cbr's on his dyno for testing and comparing various exhausts with and without a flash, and also with different stacks.. in case you didn't know our stacks take the throttle body opening down a few mm in diameter choking out the motor.
Everything Honda does chokes out the engine that's why fixing airflow is so important. I've seen dyno numbers on several SC77's did a lot of research before I bought mine. Regardless, I was trying to stick mostly to the OP's topic of looking for a exhaust + tune. Plenty of power to be gained from simple mods to the bike just takes money in most cases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts