Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a place and are there any carbon parts that fit as good as oem without trimming or "fine tuning"? Id like to have one spot for everything so all the parts have the same look and finish. Im trying to avoid the 50 shades of carbon look and fitment problems right off the bat.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,738 Posts
Stay away from Bestem carbon fiber then.
Looks good, great finish, shit fit. Every piece I bought from them had to be worked to fit

·
Registered
35 Posts
only company i have delt with that was a true replacement no modding needed was fullsix and ilmberger. prepare for some sticker shock $ on these 2 companies.

Just bought a bunch of stuff from motocomposites knowing there is some fine tuning needed.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
only company i have delt with that was a true replacement no modding needed was fullsix and ilmberger. prepare for some sticker shock $ on these 2 companies.

Just bought a bunch of stuff from motocomposites knowing there is some fine tuning needed.
I called a guy in Florida about fullsix because I liked the name. They only have three parts for the sc77. The florida guy treated me like a red headed step child from his hated enemy on thursday because he hates thursdays for whatever reason when I told him I had a Honda. If its not a smelly bmw or Duc he didnt want anything to do with a lowly scrub like me.

And you arent joking, ilmberger parts are not cheap. I had six parts including the least expensive(chain guard) in the cart and was hoping 1273 franks or whatever were pretty good until I did the conversion and it was 1650 without shipping and taxes and shipping taxes and tax taxes.

The main reason I even want to go down this rabbit hole is the gas tank panel "grippy" section things. I want to put real grip stuff on there and theres no way anything will stick to that bumpy surface. I had really good luck with tech spec's best model and want to use those again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had some ilmberger on my rsv 4 and it is was nice stuff, some of the nicest i have used on a bike alongside Becker carbon fiber out of Germany, not sure they do much of anything anymore.

Will let you now how my motocomposites experience is... as the one member said 15hrs of sanding/clearancing and fitting for a bunch of their stuff.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some ilmberger on my rsv 4 and it is was nice stuff, some of the nicest i have used on a bike alongside Becker carbon fiber out of Germany, not sure they do much of anything anymore.

Will let you now how my motocomposites experience is... as the one member said 15hrs of sanding/clearancing and fitting for a bunch of their stuff.
Yes, please do. Thats exactly what I want to avoid but they have all the sections I would want to replace so hopefully there was a remarkable change and your stuff fits better than OEM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i do not have my bike here yet or my carbon fiber parts (next week), but after looking over a brand new 2018 SP, i noticed on various parts on the stock plastic there is gaps.So we shall see how it all works out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The main reason I even want to go down this rabbit hole is the gas tank panel "grippy" section things. I want to put real grip stuff on there and theres no way anything will stick to that bumpy surface. I had really good luck with tech spec's best model and want to use those again.

I see where you're going here. If you want a stopgap (I came up with because I'm kind of a tightwad), I used TechSpec and some really good 3M 2 sided tape, the kind bodyshops use to stick emblems back on cars. Doesn't look as good as CF would but it does the job, it's been on there since 2017 with zero issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes we do, just go into checkout and update the shipping info.. figure 50 euro shipping

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought Lightech chain guard to see what it was like before getting more

the bolt going in isn’t flush/larger diameter and so I had to Dremel it to flush it in.

the issue I have is you pay top dollar but yet how does one know what “branded” item it actually is. Not like there is a sticker, laser etch of what it is so why pay for branded items with carbon?

even if it was painted on the inside to prove it is what it is and not from China.

simply having a clear mini sticker I would of thought they would have on it with option to keep or leave it.

my rant on expensive carbon

Reactions: jdgun

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,738 Posts
I bought Lightech chain guard to see what it was like before getting more

the bolt going in isn’t flush/larger diameter and so I had to Dremel it to flush it in.

the issue I have is you pay top dollar but yet how does one know what “branded” item it actually is. Not like there is a sticker, laser etch of what it is so why pay for branded items with carbon?

even if it was painted on the inside to prove it is what it is and not from China.

simply having a clear mini sticker I would of thought they would have on it with option to keep or leave it.

my rant on expensive carbon
I agree with you that when paying top dollar for carbon fiber parts you would expect an exact fit but to play devils advocate let's be honest, you are buying these parts strictly for appearance and they have no structural purpose.

Having to make minor tweaks to the bolt holes or fit to me is just part of the game. Remember the parts you are replacing are flexible plastic so they are much easier to minipulate when installing.

I spent countless hours fitting my lower belly pan, added a bracket, ground tab holes, reshaped tabs.

Just an FYI - most of my carbon fiber parts are from Bestem, mainly due to the fact the small twill matched my Taylormade exhaust and rear hugger. Almost every part I ordered from them had to be tweaked or reworked to fit. I sent them an email and they gave me money back if I could get the parts to work without them having to exchange the part. I believe it was a 20% refund so it added up quickly and most of the rework wasn't much work really on most of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carbomoto.com

Handmade by one guy
That looks amazing!

I clicked their site, but it doesn't load everything nor consistently.

Are they still making the carbon for the 2017-1019 CBR1000RR?

·
Registered
16 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts