Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you purchase your motorcycle based on magazine comparions of a bike your trying to buy :?: It amazes me how some magazine comparions are biased towards other bikes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can read them for comparisons sake, but thats pathetic to buy one based on that. Look at Motorcyclist/SportRider lately....seem there paying back Kawi for trashing the ZX12 so much when it first came out. I've never seen so much hype as there is for the ZX10 by those two since the invention of the motorcycle!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I never believed the bias before but I second that opinion. They bagged on things on the RR that I have found to be untrue and hyped up the 10R like crazy. Harumph.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, all I know is Motorcyclist killed sales of the ZX-12 when that article came out. People were dropping out of deposits like flies. They got a LOT of hate mail over that. Killed the resale as well. I see some of that happening with the RR based on talking with the dealers and looking through the forums. The magazines do carry weight but I don't make my decisions on them. They are so all over the place you can't. European mags love the "Blade" and the HP numbers are much closer in their mags than they are here :shock: Go figure.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't pay any attention to them....Honda has finally produced a bike that is superior in just about every aspect and they still want to put it at the bottom as those always do. Read the Euro mags...they tell it like it is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is a funny topic because you can go over to the Yammi/Kawi/Suziki forums and they will all say that no matter what happens the mags always pick a honda :D I do read the reviews and put some weight on them but I don't necessarily care which bike they think is the best. I see what specific things they say about each bike, but unless they say the honda is a piece of crap I would buy honda anyways. One of the reviews I read, can't remember which but they say the honda is just so easy to ride that it's almost a fault. Kind of like saying it feels to much like a 600 :? isn't that what all the manufacturers have been trying to achieve? Why would you want a bike that is hard to ride? I know I love mine and it does feel like a big 600 and it is easy to ride. piece of crap.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LOL sub, Yea I read motorcyclist and they said that the HESD was on of the most exciting things on the bike and you didn't even know it was there. They were complaining about it. What a crock. Cycleworld is real the only street bike mag that I listen to their opinions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have been on cbrs for about the last 5 yrs. so basically, since i starte riding.( first bike was yamaha fzr just to learn on for a couple months, then came the f4). anyway sionce then i have seen kawis blow up after 1500 miles (00 zx-9r), suzukis fall and be completely smashed. only know of one r1 catching on fire and that was rider error doing a wheelie over a hump and flip it into a rock.
i have seen hondas hit by cars,deers (98 f3), flipped and hit by car (99 f4), and the ussual bike going down,,,, and out of most of this accidents most of them were riden home. so what the mags say is persinal opinion and politics....but they never see the sides of the bikes that we all might see more of.....wrecks and the aftermaths on the bikes.
oh yeah also saw an fe slam a guard rail and it was totaled due too body work. honda just makes a stronger amd more reliable product

ok ill shut up now

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well said by everyone. Couldn't agree with you guys more. Magazines are a reference, not a decisive measure. Mitch Boehm from MOTORCYCLIST said it best, it think, when he summed it up:

Boehm
Height: 6 ft.
Weight: 225 lb.
Inseam: 32 in.

One of the most difficult things to get right when developing an all-new sportbike—especially one designed to get around a racetrack more quickly than its competition—is its suspension settings. Get 'em too taut and, while the bike may work fine on a smooth circuit, its ride is likely to be jarring and harsh on-road. Leave 'em too compliant and the bike loses the high-speed, hard-braking chassis composure it needs to cut quick laps. All of which means the Honda development folks, both here and in Japan, deserve big-time kudos for their work on the CBR1000RR's legs. Honestly, I've not ridden an open-class sportbike that combines such bolted-to-the-road stability and composure with this level of daily ride compliance. Class-leading horsepower and the bike's truckload of MotoGP technology just sweeten the deal. Yeah, yeah, it's 20-some pounds heavier than the GSX-R1000—and, most likely, the new YZF-R1 and ZX-10R. But I don't care. It's a streetbike, and if power-to-weight were all that were important, we'd all be riding Y2K Turbine bikes. If your ego demands you only be seen riding the lightest open-classer of 2004, you'll miss out on one of the neatest sportbike experiences since the mighty CB750 first arrived on U.S. soil.

—Mitch Boehm

Be proud that you ride one of the finest machines on the road today :cruising: :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate on this one for the sake of disscussion :twisted: I think a lot of people do listen to what mags say when they buy a new bike. With 3 new bikes out this year, we have no clue on what the bikes are like. The only thing we know is the one we like better based on looks & if we sat on all of them at once (but that doesn't mean sh!t because sitting on one & riding one is a totally different feel) at a bike show. However, the mags first shoot out is what makes or breaks these new bikes, when a mag say this bike is the best, then most of the bike shoppers will get that bike because that is the only word that he has to influance him. Just like the gixxer 1000 when it came out a few years ago. The mags pumped it up & it was the #1 selling liter bike, now the mags are pumping up the ZX 10R, & it may be the #1 selling liter bike if not the R1 just because it looks better.

NOTE: I do not buy bikes just because mags say bike A is better that bike B. I know I can not ride a liter bike to it's fullest potential nor can I ride a 600 the same way so I don't really care about the HP #'s. My main thing is how the bike looks and the wing on the tank!!!!!!!

RIDE RED!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I hear ya Smitty. It's a sad, but true fact that somehow the magazines word has become a very influential component of swaying buyer behavior. I guess in the end, when all is said and done, buy the one that grabs your heart, rips it out, stomps all over it, and still makes you want to come back to it and ride it, and drool over it time and time again. Gotta ride what will make you happy, not what some motorcycle journalists found to be the 'best'. Its all a matter of perspective anyway.
In regards to what you said about HP #'s and 99.999999999999% of the sportbike riding population; here's a couple of interesting and humbling thoughts from some of the sports greatest (it was in one of the recent magazine bike reviews in the "second opinion" section where one of the writers/riders was trying to make the exact point of 'unusable' power for the masses):

Eddie Lawson claimed that he was sure that there are some people who will be able to ride the R1 to its full potential on the street; he said he wasn't one of 'em...
Kevin Schwantz prefers to ride a GSXR 750 rather than the 1000 because the power of the 1000 is too strong, too much.

Hmm...Don't feel so bad now to be riding one of the 'slower' '04's... :wink:

·
Registered
526 Posts
So far my favorite gripe with the RR was the whole, 'it has no personality.' WTF? Does personality mean tank slappers, buzzy pegs, rough rides and light front ends??? I want a bike that does what I want it to not go off and do its own thing.
Dont remember who said it though...

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
you know this just goes to show that these MAG's are opinions ...thats it

just like watching the news you got to ask yourself why are they saying what they are saying

plus the thing for me is i dont care if the 1000 is the heavest and has the least hp

i'm gonna change all that (drop that stainless anchor and clear out the airbox)!!!

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
I have an '02 954 and am strongly considering the 1000RR. Since I can't get a dealer to let me go on a test ride (and I can't really say I blame them), all I have to go on is the word of the magazines and the word of the real people who actually own the bike (you guys). I think the Euro mags are more honest than ours, so I give them some weight. But I value what I read on the boards even more.

So, I ask you -- how do you like the new RR compared to the new R1? Have any of you ridden both bikes? If you have, I'd love to hear your real world thoughts!

I think the R1 is a gorgeous bike, and I like that it's a little more spread out than the RR (I'm 6'4"), but I'd be willing to suck up a little discomfort if the RR is a better handling bike. Any tall RR owners out there? How does it feel? I've sat on it, but it's not the same as riding it hard for an hour or so.

Thanks everyone. This board rocks! :wink:

Erik aka ELMEL

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ELMEL said:
...I think the R1 is a gorgeous bike, and I like that it's a little more spread out than the RR (I'm 6'4"), but I'd be willing to suck up a little discomfort if the RR is a better handling bike. Any tall RR owners out there? How does it feel? I've sat on it, but it's not the same as riding it hard for an hour or so...
I'm 6'4" myself, I rode for about 13 hours the other day on and off. The only major complaint I had was my ass was killing me the next day. It's a pretty aggressive position, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. As far as handling comparisions go, I haven't ridden the new R1 yet, but I have ridden the last generation blade's, and the 1000RR handles wonderfully.

·
Registered
356 Posts
One thing I keep reading is that the mags sell the bikes. I don't know if this means anything but I been to allot of bike shops around so-cal and there are plenty of R1's and 10R on the floor and the salesmen are wondering why no one is buying them. "The 10R won the comparason and the R1" came in a close second." But to the surprise of every dealer they can't keep the RR's in stock, they go out the door as soon as they come in. And people are waiting on them for weeks even know they can get the R1 and 10r right now. I think people are reading between the lines of the mags and see the capabilities of the mighty RR. Plus, it a Honda.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.