Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has 8750 miles. I took my bike in to get an 8000 Mile service, oil change, inspection and brake fluid changed. When I got home I noticed the bike ideling weird. Didn't have time to look at it then. So A week later I go to take the bike out and I notice the bike bogging out starting off in 1st gear and 2nd. It's hard to keep the bike from stalling out. Once I'm riding in higher rpms the bike seems fine. the problem seems to happen in the low rpm range when the bike is under load. So I go back to the shop and tell them this and they want 228 dollars for a diagnosis charge. So I said F that. I talked to some people and they said that the gas could be bad so I dump the gas and put new In and the problem still persist.
I'm thinking some kind of sensor. Not sure..
Never had any issues with this bike. Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
2017 CBR1000RA
72 Posts
Well I’m not an expert mechanic. But if you ride your bike weekly makes me think that bad gas could be the culprit. Without breaking out only meters and scan tools I would check the fuel pump, spark plugs and coil packs. Basically anything an amateur mechanic can do. Then if all else fails take it to a reputable shop. If the shop you got the 8000 mile service is a good one they should fess up if they did something wrong to cause the engine to bog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I’m not an expert mechanic. But if you ride your bike weekly makes me think that bad gas could be the culprit. Without breaking out only meters and scan tools I would check the fuel pump, spark plugs and coil packs. Basically anything an amateur mechanic can do. Then if all else fails take it to a reputable shop. If the shop you got the 8000 mile service is a good one they should fess up if they did something wrong to cause the engine to bog.
I will start with inspecting the packs and plugs lookong for anything loose and then changing the spark plugs. With my work schedule it'll be a week or 2 before I can get to it. I'll keep you updated, thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after months I found some time to work on the bike. I changed the spark plugs and the bike runs amazing now. I used NGK IMR9E-9HES from RevZilla.
Household hardware Gas Auto part Metal Nickel
Auto part Font Metal Office supplies Fashion accessory
Automotive lighting Cylinder Tool Audio equipment Auto part
Here are the original plugs. I hope this helps anyone with the similar issues that I've had.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Odd, did they put old used plugs in your bike at 8000 mile service? Iridium plugs can go 50k-miles easily!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know, given the low miles on the bike I thought the problem would be elsewhere.. who knows what they did. It's hard to trust anyone with your bike these days. I noticed it ideling weird when I brought it home from the shop that day and it's only 3 miles from my house. So that would be one hell of a coincidence that the plugs would go bad at that moment, because it rode fine when I took it to the shop. I'm glad that I did the job myself and saved the money by not taking it to them and seeing the end result of how great the bike runs now.

·
Registered
2008 cbr1000rr
33 Posts
How tough was it to change the plugs? I also have an 08 and have heard it's a bear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really hard to change. You just need to take your time and be patient. I kept the gas tank on while doing it. The fuel line to the airbox was tough to disconnect also.. I made sure to clean everything too in the velocity stacks and throttle bodies. You'll need to use 2 swivel joints for your socket And I got a 5/8 magnetic spark plug socket from O Reillys which fits perfectly, Auto zones mag socket doesn't engage properly. Make sure to push your ignition coils down all the way too. Putting everything back together is the worst part. Reconnecting the 3 hoses to the the lower airbox took some time and getting the ram air joints back in place. I took my side fairings off, I'm not sure if you can do it without taking them off.
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
These ar basically the same as a 15 correct? I have a similar issue. Just purchased the bike. Will bog on take off and sometimes die if I’m not giving it enough throttle.. I’ve never had to give a bike that much throttle and can usually gauge it to where I can give minimal throttle for take off but not this one… maybe it’s a 1000cc thing??? Suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty much the same considering the issue. Depending on the miles you have on your bike, you probably have the original spark plugs in. I would start with changing them and trying that out. If that doesn't work you might have a bad ignition coil.. I've also heard of making sure that you don't have any loose battery terminal connections either. Check that out too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty much the same considering the issue. Depending on the miles you have on your bike, you probably have the original spark plugs in. I would start with changing them and trying that out. If that doesn't work you might have a bad ignition coil.. I've also heard of making sure that you don't have any loose battery terminal connections either. Check that out too.
About 7000 miles didn’t think about coils I’ll have to check I guess. Asked the PO. He said they all do that 🙄… I don’t think sooo lol..

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it was a major problem the FI light would be on correct??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, if it was something major then the light would come on. If the previous owner had the bike sitting for a long time you could have bad fuel in it. Siphon it out and put new in. That's what I did to mine but it didn't make a difference. It's also possible that you could have a clogged fuel injector/injectors that isn't spraying properly. But I'm thinking that the new plugs will solve your problem 👍!! Keep me posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right, if it was something major then the light would come on. If the previous owner had the bike sitting for a long time you could have bad fuel in it. Siphon it out and put new in. That's what I did to mine but it didn't make a difference. It's also possible that you could have a clogged fuel injector/injectors that isn't spraying properly. But I'm thinking that the new plugs will solve your problem 👍!! Keep me posted!
Will do thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts