Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I said I was buying the ZX10R because of it's superior power and less weight, however, I just purchased an all-black 1000RR. Why did I do it after all my complaining? I saw the ZX10 and thought the quality was vastly inferior to the Honda. Here are my honest, initial thoughts, in no particular order, after riding the bike:

All Black 1KRR. Paid $10,681 OTD (including 6% sales tax, plates, etc.)-

1) Stability is far superior to my 954 (big delight). Steers a little slower, however.
2) Quality appears 1st rate, better than 954 (biggest delight)
3) Engine PINGS under moderate-heavy load below 3500rpm.(disappointment)
4) Brakes are good but not as strong as 954, especially initial bite. (disappointment - why the step backwards?)
5) Engine power doesn't meet expectation (biggest disappointment - I knew this was the bike's weak point but I didn't expect it was going to be this weak)
6) All black looks best by far but paint on fuel tank is not durable at all (big disappointment) I have tankslappers on order.
7) Clutch makes strange noise as it's being engaged. ???
8) Large radiator keeps engine cooler than my 954. (delight)
9) 1000RR has shift light, 954 doesn't (delight)
10) Engine power-delivery is very controllable (delight)
11) I can feel the extra weight compared to 954
12) Ergos not as comfortable as 954. Wish the bars were 2 inches higher. (knew what I was getting into)
13) Trans shifting is precise (delight)
14) Need to get rid of the fake ram air openings in the fairing (looks bling-bling)
15) Don't like the stock exhaust look/sound at all but this will change to help address item #5.

Still happy I got it but the performance is only comparable to my 143hp 954. The engine needs more Jam.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
hiside said:
...Still happy I got it but the performance is only comparable to my 143hp 954...
I'll assume you mean straight-line performance? And actually, maybe you mean it doesn't "Feel" as fast? The reason I say that is because it is much more stable in the corners than the 954, and in a straight line it stays more planted even when ham-fisting it. If you honestly think it is only on par with the 954's "Performance", we have a very different view of what performance is.

BTW, congrats on the bike.

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
I have to agree with IronNutz. I have both bikes and don't even touch the 954 anymore. The 1000 is so much more fun in every way. And way more stable.

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you do with the exhaust.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i'm guessing his 954 was fairly well modded if it was 143whp, which would explain why he feels the performance is comparable.

i agree with him, i've ridden a few well modded 954's and it wasn't much different from the stock 1k.

but congrats on the purchase, i'm sure in 2 years when the zx-10r falls apart, at least according to these guys, you'll be happy to still be riding a mint CBR.

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
Can a 954 be modded to be as stable as the 1000? Even with a damper, I kinda doubt it. Someone argue with me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ELMEL said:
Can a 954 be modded to be as stable as the 1000? Even
with a damper, I kinda doubt it. Someone argue with me.
yeah perhaps with ohlins shock/re-worked forks & a steering damper.. but it still wont have the same feeling.

my 954 was very stable with the suspension tuned and with my matris m4 damper.....but my stock 1000rr is still a better bike...but still, both bikes offer more than i can use. the 1000rr is fun to ride, thats all i care about.

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
Even with the damper on my 954, it is still not as stable.

The front end is alway light on the 954--the 1000RR has the longer wheelbase and broader power curve, so the front end stays planted much better, thus being more stable.

My modded 954 has a couple less peak HP than the stock 1000RR. The 1000RR has a broader powerband, so the HP and torque are considerably greater than the 954 in the lower RPMs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.