Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an '04 1000RR w/ no gauge cluster + "incorrect" odometer reading on title

So I got a 2004 CBR 1000RR with no gauge cluster. The guy I got it from was the 2nd owner and claims that the bike has ~30,000 miles on it. The title says he bought the bike in '08 with 72,000 miles! He said he just noticed it recently and the DMV must've switched the '7' with the '2' because he bought the bike with 27,000 miles on it. Apparently he has the original gauge cluster and he's giving it to me sometime soon.

My question is, does anyone know if the DMV will be able to change the miles back on the new title that they send me when I register it? I have a contract with this guy stating that if I can't get the miles fixed on the odometer during registration we will reverse our transaction.

Also if someone were to run this JH2SC57184M000569 and determine that the bike does in fact have over 30,000 miles I'd really appreciate being warned!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't sound good.

I don't think DMV will change anything unless you can prove a mistake.

How much did you pay for the bike? Is there any other damage?
Well let's just say I didn't pay much. Other than that, the bike looks good and rides well. Does anyone know if the DMV keeps the original title when it's sent in for a transfer of ownership? That will provide some proof as to whether the original owner wrote down 27,000 or 72,000 when he transferred it over.

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,965 Posts
1st off man, your screen name is maxi pad.
:eek:wned: :th_SmlyROFL:

2nd, if the first owner wrote the wrong mileage down on the title when he sold it to buyer number two, and the second owner already titled the bike and didnt notice what mileage the 1st owner wrote down, your fucked. gonna be real hard to prove this, especially to the dmv. shit you were waiting for 1hr or more to get it registered, think how long its gonna take to make an attempt to clear this up. might as well put a deposit down on a 2011 bike. lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well let's just say I didn't pay much. Other than that, the bike looks good and rides well. Does anyone know if the DMV keeps the original title when it's sent in for a transfer of ownership? That will provide some proof as to whether the original owner wrote down 27,000 or 72,000 when he transferred it over.
I assumed you didn't pay much. Can you share a hard number?

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I got a 2004 CBR 1000RR with no gauge cluster. The guy I got it from was the 2nd owner and claims that the bike has ~30,000 miles on it. The title says he bought the bike in '08 with 72,000 miles! He said he just noticed it recently and the DMV must've switched the '7' with the '2' because he bought the bike with 27,000 miles on it. Apparently he has the original gauge cluster and he's giving it to me sometime soon.

My question is, does anyone know if the DMV will be able to change the miles back on the new title that they send me when I register it? I have a contract with this guy stating that if I can't get the miles fixed on the odometer during registration we will reverse our transaction.

Also if someone were to run this JH2SC57184M000569 and determine that the bike does in fact have over 30,000 miles I'd really appreciate being warned!
You probably can contact the vehicle inspection department and ask how many miles was on it the last time it was inspected if they do that in your state.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure I believe that number...

If its true, you got one hell of a deal.
well whether you believe it or not, i appreciate your comment. i didnt actually hand him 1800 cash, but heres what happened. i bought a 1990 240sx a few months ago for 1500 and threw on an HKS hi power exhaust that i bought for 300; then i traded the car for the bike. the end!

·
Registered
241 Posts
well whether you believe it or not, i appreciate your comment. i didnt actually hand him 1800 cash, but heres what happened. i bought a 1990 240sx a few months ago for 1500 and threw on an HKS hi power exhaust that i bought for 300; then i traded the car for the bike. the end!
That a little more believable.

One time my buddy traded his dodge stealth for a POS 1990's Suzuki. He rode it around for a year without insurance and then let it sit in his drive for 2 years and rust out.

Morale of the story....you can find a sucker if you look hard enough.

Nice trade MAXI!

Whats with the name...."Maxi Pad"???? :th_SmlyROFL:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That a little more believable.

One time my buddy traded his dodge stealth for a POS 1990's Suzuki. He rode it around for a year without insurance and then let it sit in his drive for 2 years and rust out.

Morale of the story....you can find a sucker if you look hard enough.

Nice trade MAXI!

Whats with the name...."Maxi Pad"???? :th_SmlyROFL:
i dont know, a lot of my girl friends started calling me that in high school and it just stuck i guess. makes people laugh, even if theyre laughing at me and not with me at least theyre having a good time :sad010: jk

·
Registered
241 Posts
i dont know, a lot of my girl friends started calling me that in high school and it just stuck i guess. makes people laugh, even if theyre laughing at me and not with me at least theyre having a good time :sad010: jk
Thats cool bro. Sounds like you have a good sense of humor.

So, the million dollar question is....Why did she start calling you that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.