Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Bought an '04 1000RR w/ no gauge cluster + "incorrect" odometer reading on title

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  tony 
#1 ·
Bought an '04 1000RR w/ no gauge cluster + "incorrect" odometer reading on title

So I got a 2004 CBR 1000RR with no gauge cluster. The guy I got it from was the 2nd owner and claims that the bike has ~30,000 miles on it. The title says he bought the bike in '08 with 72,000 miles! He said he just noticed it recently and the DMV must've switched the '7' with the '2' because he bought the bike with 27,000 miles on it. Apparently he has the original gauge cluster and he's giving it to me sometime soon.

My question is, does anyone know if the DMV will be able to change the miles back on the new title that they send me when I register it? I have a contract with this guy stating that if I can't get the miles fixed on the odometer during registration we will reverse our transaction.

Also if someone were to run this JH2SC57184M000569 and determine that the bike does in fact have over 30,000 miles I'd really appreciate being warned!

#3 ·
Well let's just say I didn't pay much. Other than that, the bike looks good and rides well. Does anyone know if the DMV keeps the original title when it's sent in for a transfer of ownership? That will provide some proof as to whether the original owner wrote down 27,000 or 72,000 when he transferred it over.

#4 ·
1st off man, your screen name is maxi pad.
:eek:wned: :th_SmlyROFL:

2nd, if the first owner wrote the wrong mileage down on the title when he sold it to buyer number two, and the second owner already titled the bike and didnt notice what mileage the 1st owner wrote down, your fucked. gonna be real hard to prove this, especially to the dmv. shit you were waiting for 1hr or more to get it registered, think how long its gonna take to make an attempt to clear this up. might as well put a deposit down on a 2011 bike. lol

#14 ·
So I got a 2004 CBR 1000RR with no gauge cluster. The guy I got it from was the 2nd owner and claims that the bike has ~30,000 miles on it. The title says he bought the bike in '08 with 72,000 miles! He said he just noticed it recently and the DMV must've switched the '7' with the '2' because he bought the bike with 27,000 miles on it. Apparently he has the original gauge cluster and he's giving it to me sometime soon.

My question is, does anyone know if the DMV will be able to change the miles back on the new title that they send me when I register it? I have a contract with this guy stating that if I can't get the miles fixed on the odometer during registration we will reverse our transaction.

Also if someone were to run this JH2SC57184M000569 and determine that the bike does in fact have over 30,000 miles I'd really appreciate being warned!
You probably can contact the vehicle inspection department and ask how many miles was on it the last time it was inspected if they do that in your state.

#22 ·
no sir, i am a male rider. you would understand if your name was max. thats what written on my birth certificate and its short for max. people just cant seem to get enough of the name. maybe its too short and they feel the need to add more to it. i dont know! in any case, i just chose to use 'maxi pad' as my username because ive had so many different user names over the years on different forums (used to be a gixxer rider, etc) and its just easier to keep it simple. even my pw is maxipad! jk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.