Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why in all the videos and discussions on installing brake pads no one has ever used/mentioned using brake grease.
I know using brake grease on the slide pins and the back of the brake pads that come in contact with the pistons/caliper on a car is essential for proper and quiet operation. Not sure why this would be different on any vehicle.

When removing my front brake pads I noticed that one side was greased from the factory and the other was not. The side that was not greased the slide pins have considerable wear marks on them and will most likely need to be replaced when I change brake pads. The greased side has no wear whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You're talking about a silicone based grease, right? I think anything else would run and contaminate the pads or rotor

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes correct or a ceramic based grease not just general purpose or wheel bearing grease. It is sold as "brake grease" or "brake Lubricant". It is used to not only prevent corrosion but also to keep the pads moving freely on the slide pins.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea why, I think not even the SM mentions to apply brake grease on the back of the pads? At least on a a couple of my other bikes it does not.
Regardless, brake grease goes on the back of my pads...

This will last me forever:

Only thing I can think of is the fear of using to much causing some grease to get on the rotors as the grease thins out due to heat but if used sparingly and correctly I cant see the downside to using it. I always use it on all brake jobs so I will continue to until someone can explain why I shouldn't since I have never had any issues using it on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well kinda got an answer on why to not use brake grease. The grease attracts and holds dirt.
Still not sure that the lack of lubrication and proper operation outweighs having to clean and relube them at regular intervals but that's what info I could come up with from a very knowledgeable and well respected source.
In my experience with improperly lubricated slide pins and brake pads anywhere they contact the caliper, slide pins, or retaining clips it causes uneven wear of the brake pad whether it be top to bottom, front to back, or from pad to pad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well kinda got an answer on why to not use brake grease. The grease attracts and holds dirt.
Still not sure that the lack of lubrication and proper operation outweighs having to clean and relube them at regular intervals but that's what info I could come up with from a very knowledgeable and well respected source.
And it does not in cars? They work in the exact same way and principal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It might have something to do with the service interval vs cars. My truck went 5 years and 115k before needing front brakes, whereas on a bike you are typically changing pads and tires much, much more frequently. If you are cleaning your calipers with each service, its less of an issue.

Just a theory, but it is a good idea to keep pistons and pins clean for smoother operation and more consistent release, even though bikes have floating rotors vs cars with fixed hats.

·
MachineHead
341 Posts
Never considered using brake grease, but seemingly a good idea!
Dave Moss has a great vid on quick cleaning brake caliper pistons, (say when you have the wheel off for a tire change). Seems like something neglected by prolly most of us.
I have some left over brake grease from when I did my 4Runner's front brakes, next tire service, I'll add a dab after cleaning up the moto calipers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts