Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I recently purchased an 06 with Galfer rotors, galfer lines, & Marchesini wheels. When braking at high speed the front shakes quite uncomfortably. It's not to the left & right, it's more of a pulse up & down in the suspension. I noticed when at slow speeds the brakes seem to pulse as well. It looks like I have plenty of life on the brake pads. No shaking or anything whatsoever at any speed with the front until I brake. Any of you had this experience? I'm afraid the rotors are bad. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
973 Posts
..a friend of mine had the same issue....warped front rotors.....were the Galfer's new or used? If new...rma those suxers...if used...hopefully whomever you purchased them from will reimburse you back.....good luck!

·
̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿
5,175 Posts
Could be the rotors, but lots of times with a warped rotor it will spread the pads so you will actually lose braking for the first squeeze or 2 on the lever. I had this happen on my 05 and it turned out to be the head/tree assy. was loose! Kinda scary huh? I'd check into that as well. Lastly, Ive heard rebound settings on your forks being off can do the same. I would have a suspension guy look at it and set it up for you, that never hurts even if you didnt have the problem.
Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
If the front end has a pogo effect, you need to look at your suspension first. Many times a new brake set up will put your suspension through different strains and cause funky things to happen.

Since you do mention a feeling at slow and high speeds, you should contact Galfer @ 10-800-685-6633 and ask them to check your rotors....it is free and you only have to pay for the freight.

Serg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. Thanks guys. I'll definitely check the suspension & possibly send my rotors in! Man I love this site!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with Galfer. They suggested cleaning the blades with 400-600 grit wet-dry paper & soap/water. Finish it off with rubbing alcohol. I'm going to try this first & see if there is any improvements. I also have another set of brake pads on the way which I'll do too. IF nothing improves i'll send my rotors in to get checked. Hopefully its not my Ohlins forks to blame. This could get expensive.

·
Back in business
985 Posts
I'm certain it is the Ohlins forks and Marchesini wheels that are causing the problem!! You should send them to me and I will exchange them with my stock wheels and forks and you will be good to go! I'll inspect them for the next few years and report back.

Totally, kidding...It's definitely rotors from the sound of it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm certain it is the Ohlins forks and Marchesini wheels that are causing the problem!! You should send them to me and I will exchange them with my stock wheels and forks and you will be good to go! I'll inspect them for the next few years and report back.

Totally, kidding...It's definitely rotors from the sound of it.

LOL! :signs006: Almost had me there.... almost!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could be the rotors, but ... ... it turned out to be the head/tree assy. was loose! ...
Dear Eddie1000rr
Sorry about this question, but is the "HEAD/TREE ASSY" the part that holds the pads? My bike has the same problem with the front brake, even though it is a 07 model, it's all stock and it has very few mileage, i've always been the only one who drives it, zero accidents, always driven in city roads... i don't wanna accept that the rotors might be bent :sad010:
So I think the part you mention might be loose in my bike too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bent rotor was the case!!! Possibly got bumped by previous owner somehow or during tire change. Woody's Wheel Works in Denver specializes in motorcycle wheel & rotor work. For $30 they had it fixed. Amazing work!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts