Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it everyone has a different way of breaking thier engines in. Personally, I am going by what Honda tells me. Some people are running up to redline during the break-in.

By the way, I am a mechanic by profession.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Why is it everyone has a different way of breaking thier engines in. Personally, I am going by what Honda tells me. Some people are running up to redline during the break-in.

By the way, I am a mechanic by profession.

The people that build them know whats best. Even if they are being conservative about it, I want mine to last more than 10,000 miles, I`m not willing to trade 3 hp for having an oil burner. The breakin doesn`t say anything about not going to redline though, just not "rapid acceleration". I work mine up to redline a few times during break in, just didn`t do it at full throttle, did this with my 600RR and all was well.

I`m a mechanic too BTW.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I feel like a freaking retard. The dealer told me to stay under 4000 RPM's (65 MPH!) for 600 miles, then under 6000 RPM's for the next 400 (up to the 1000 mark). I picked up the late Friday, and haven't gotten much spare time. I only got 300 miles on it, and I am here at work now fo the next 24- 32 hours (military). So, I pulled out the manual to see what it says about the break-in.

Basically, just ride easy the first 300 miles. Guess I should have actually tried to read it somewhere before completely taking the dealers word for it huh?

So I deseve the fvcktard label now.:twak:

And now that I also know that the first service is only an oil change and critical fasteners, I know I will have the time to actually do it myself (I put out to sea in a week).

IronNutz said:
We do this thread every week... do a search on "Break in" and you will get 100 opinions from 100 people...
Normally I do search, but I figured the model was new enough that it might not have been hit too many times. Guess I was wrong there :bitchsla:

Can't wait to get off of work and nail some real RPM's, finally :rocker:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.