Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used this on my RC and got the highest results, are = to highest results I've seen with others dynocharts. This subject is like oil, gasoline octane, etc. This is what DK suggests for new bikes.

Don't let it get hot. Below 220. If it hits 220, shut it down, pull over whatever you have to do.
Don't let it idle. Upon startup, use the fuel richener (choke) for a moment and ride off.
Don't rev up high
no high throttle settings, no WFO
Very smooth throttle transitions, again no WFO
Do not stay at same RPM for any lenth of time, constantly accel, decel, switch gears

Dont exceed:
5500 RPM first 100.
6000 RPM next hundred
6500 Rpm third hundred
7000 RPM fourth hundred
8000 RPM fifth hundred
at 600 miles change oil, totally unnecessary to do prior to this and a waste of coin.
After oil change, ride it however you want.

600 miles first oil change with the dino
2000 miles synthetic

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I do it the same way. Maybe not quite as hard as the website states, but what most manufacturer manuals state is ridiculous. Just gradualy beat it into submission. :) I will be changing the oil at somewhere between 200-250 miles, before I hit the track this weekend. After totally broken in, I'll probably switch over to Amsoil or Motul 300V.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm kinda in-between.
I'm not overly timid on break-in, but I'm not redlining it or going WFO either.

I figure an oil change at 600 or so, to synthetic.

MRB - I should be picking mine up this afternoon - Look for it out front tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used the following break-in method on my RC51, and the result came out great, strong 20,000 mile motor, never burned oil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By LDH

When I break-in a bike I try to follow a very serious order of operations & so far I have had very good success with it. My last 3 new bikes have always dynoed at the upper end of the horsepower scale when compared to the same model bikes on the same dyno.

These are the guidelines I use for all my new bikes:

Lots of heat cycles! run it & let it cool off, run it & let it cool off.

#1 rule is never maintain a steady speed during break-in. Always keep the revs going up & down. Nothing is worse on a new bike than putting miles on it at a steady rpm especially on the interstate.

For the 1st 150 miles I take it real easy never exceeding 75% of the redline(i.e if redline is 10,000 then I would not go over 7500) I take extra special care to listen for as well as feel any anomalies in the valvetrain and driveline. I am also very smooth on the throttle no jerky movements or ham fisted off & ons & I never hold the throttle at the higher rpms if I go to 7500rpm I immediately shift & bring the rpms back down.

From 150 to 250 miles I try to liven up the process by introducing brief spurts up to 90% of the redline, but once again I never stay there immediately bring the revs back down & maybe once or twice run it to the redzone & back down but don't hit the hard limiter.

250 to 600 miles It's spirited riding, but still making sure to keep the rpms fluctuating & I routinely take it up to close to redline without hitting the hard limiter.

600 miles I change the oil & inspect it thoroughly, hell I even cut open my oil filters & look LOL

600-1200 miles normal riding but still with caution & smoothness in my actions & I still try to vary my rpms on the highway even though by now that's damn near impossible cause I'm usually commuting to different rides.

After 1200 miles I flog it, wheelies & top end bursts, but I still don't hold it wide open for any real duration of time until around 1500-1700 miles.

Many RC51 Owners have commented that they have followed these instructions & their personal results were right along the results I have reported in that their bikes also produced dyno charts that were at the upper end of the scale for power output of similarly or identically equipped machines. There is no guarantee that my way works nor any scientific tests to prove it, but commonsense & the dyno results should go a long way in helping you to decide what is the best way to break your bike in properly.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theJrod said:
I'm kinda in-between.

MRB - I should be picking mine up this afternoon - Look for it out front tomorrow! :D
Sweet dude. I know where you bought it because I talked to them today ;) They had 4 now only 2, hehe.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mrb said:
theJrod said:
I'm kinda in-between.

Sweet dude. I know where you bought it because I talked to them today ;) They had 4 now only 2, hehe.
Got it from Smokey Point - As of last weekend, I was the only one with a deposit on one. Everett Powersports called me today as well - I guess they're first red one wasn't spoken for.

I'll have a few pics up tomorrow (thurs) - Only put about 30 miles on it tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.