Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a new alternator cover on my bike and I managed to snap a bolt. I was using my torque wrench and it never clicked so I kept tightening and I snapped the bolt head off flush.

So what do I do now? Do I just leave it and hope the remaining 8 or so bolts keep the cover sealed? Or do I have to remove the cover and try to remove the snapped off bolt?

If I have to remove the bolt how would you recommend I do so?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Have sears or hardware store nearby? Get a bit that cuts into the offending bolt it has reverse threads on the tool the extract the bolt I believe it is called a bolt extractor not expensive and always a handy tool to have around...

·
̿ '̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿
5,175 Posts
I was installing a new alternator cover on my bike and I managed to snap a bolt. I was using my torque wrench and it never clicked so I kept tightening and I snapped the bolt head off flush.

So what do I do now? Do I just leave it and hope the remaining 8 or so bolts keep the cover sealed? Or do I have to remove the cover and try to remove the snapped off bolt?

If I have to remove the bolt how would you recommend I do so?
Find an easy out kit or reverse drill bits....not sure if sears has that stuff, I know for stuff that small, I always flagged down the snap on guy. Dont want a cheap drill bit breaking in that bolt cuz then u got problems.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
It's probably not in tight since the head snapped off. A cheap bet will be a reverse drill bit. Should back it right out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts