Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is there anyone who can diagnose a few issues I have please on 2008 CBR1000RR?
I bought the bike as is, with the aftermarket pipe fitted and no PC.
Issues:
1. Once it’s up to temperature it idles erratic, I’m nothing close to being a mechanic, but I seem to think it’s over fueling somehow. It makes a popping sound from the exhaust every now and then.
2. After staring up, first it idles at just under 1500rpm, then if I rev it up and it goes down to 1000rpm.
3. After it idles for a while it stays at around 1000rpm and I rev then it climbs up to around 1500 - 1800rpm also for a short while. Not sure if this is normal.
4. When riding: when I pull away in 1st, there are splutters and she wants to die, so I keep it on a higher rev and pull away to avoid an embarrassing stall.
5. The aftermarket pipe has no extra bends, it comes from the headers, then goes to the pipe as seen in pic. I’ve seen other bikes with aftermarket pipes but they have a few more bends on the pipe, I think it’s for back pressure, really don’t know.
Any advice for these issues will be appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
looks like your aftermarket silencer may not have the O2 sensor and the exhaust valve fitted, both would have an impact on the performance & running of the engine.
Also check if the air intaker flaps have been removed; another potential for poor running engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bonjo. The after market pipe definitely does not have the O2 sensor, looks like the previous owner cut the plug off and just fitted the other pipe. Think I’ll start there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also when I still had my 08 motor..I installed a sc project exhaust and the bike idled like shit. Not as bad as yours but because I had 0 backpressure. I then ditched that one for a two brothers and it got a little better. From what I had read they need that S bend like the Yoshi slip on has in order to idle correctly or you need to add fuel at idle to correct this. But it's been awhile since I read that. I'm now on a full yoshi r77 and the bike idles perfectly and smoothly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also when I still had my 08 motor..I installed a sc project exhaust and the bike idled like shit. Not as bad as yours but because I had 0 backpressure. I then ditched that one for a two brothers and it got a little better. From what I had read they need that S bend like the Yoshi slip on has in order to idle correctly or you need to add fuel at idle to correct this. But it's been awhile since I read that. I'm now on a full yoshi r77 and the bike idles perfectly and smoothly.
You mean without any loping on your 08? Do you have the baffle in? At stock 1200rpm idle??? I have a Yoshi R77 slip-on with the S bend and could not for the life of me get it to stop loping at 1200rpm. Had to bump it up to 1400rpm via ECU to smooth it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You mean without any loping on your 08? Do you have the baffle in? At stock 1200rpm idle??? I have a Yoshi R77 slip-on with the S bend and could not for the life of me get it to stop loping at 1200rpm. Had to bump it up to 1400rpm via ECU to smooth it out.
I'm running the full r77 system now...I'm havent adjusted idle since I got the bike. With my full r77 the bike idles smooth and evenly right at 1200. With the other 2 slip ons...neither had a baffle in them. Sc had a very loping idle..it would go from 1200 to 1600...the 2 brothers slip on would lope 1200 to about 14-1500. Both the slip ons had a slight angle at the mid pipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts