Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have you Ceramic Coated your Matte Black CBR1000RR?

Which product did you use?

Before and after pics or videos?

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,756 Posts
Most protective coating will raise the gloss defeating the entire purpose of Matte paint

I do see that there are a few options specifically for Matte, Satin, and low gloss paints but I personally would not suggest them as I understand the molecular chemistry of paint and the protective coatings and don't see any way these coatings will provide any protective benefit, will be difficult to apply evenly, and might be even more difficult to remove

If you truly want to add a layer of protection to your matte paint I would suggest a matte film coating that is similar to a vinyl wrap only it is clear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ceramic coated my car this year, gloss finish. It went on pretty easily and the car comes out so nice now after a simple wash... it's amazing.

Not sure how it would work on a matte finish.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I ceramic coated my car this year, gloss finish. It went on pretty easily and the car comes out so nice now after a simple wash... it's amazing.

Not sure how it would work on a matte finish.
You remember what product you used?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some Google-Fu...

It looks like you can ceramic matte....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
After some Google-Fu...

It looks like you can ceramic matte....

Yes they do market products for use with matte paint but I would have concerns using them.

The key to applying any protective coating (wax, ceramic, graphene) is proper cleaning and prep prior to applying the coating.
I would take a hard look at the suggested prep and cleaning methods as all the proper methods I am aware of would damage the matte paint.

Also when it's time to remove the ceramic coating, which is needed to reapply the coating again at some point, all the methods I am aware of will also damage the matte paint.

If you do decide to try out one of these products I would first try it on a small out of sight or less visable area or panel and see if it achieves the desired results before applying to larger panels or the entire bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So have you Ceramic Coated your Matte Black CBR1000RR?

Which product did you use?

Before and after pics or videos?
John after watching this video I went with Turtle Wax Hybrid. I did my Matte Black CBR1000RR and my wife's car. Looks and works great. When applying less is better two squirts per panel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a pic after the ceramic coating , Not much of a difference as to it shinning more but it is well protected as the water beads right off like teflon. For painted surfaces like my wife's car you can definitely see the shine. According to the directions last's up to 6 months one application. You must let it cure 24 hrs before a second coat for 12 months of protection. I will be happy if it last's 1 month as I do maintenance regularly. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Here is a pic after the ceramic coating , Not much of a difference as to it shinning more but it is well protected as the water beads right off like teflon. For painted surfaces like my wife's car you can definitely see the shine. According to the directions last's up to 6 months one application. You must let it cure 24 hrs before a second coat for 12 months of protection. I will be happy if it last's 1 month as I do maintenance regularly. Hope that helps.
View attachment 260590 View attachment 260591
That's just a spray on wipe off coating correct?
I would assume so as a true ceramic coating can last up to 5 years when properly maintained

Turned out nice though, I see they have improved the Matte coatings considerably. All the coatings I have seen in the past either cause streaks, mess with the gloss level, or cause blotchy spots with varying gloss.

If applied when the paint is new and defect free and maintained you should be good to go. The issue comes up when you need to do some sort of paint correction (scratches, marring, etc) as there is no way to do this with a Matte coating.
Also with a true ceramic coating (not a relabeled wax product like most spray on types are) the paint surface needs to be completely free of any contaminants (prior applied wax, mineral deposits from tap water, oil and gas residue. etc) and the process in removing them requires products that will damage a matte finish.

You could just try using a clay bar followed by a quality wax and grease remover prior to applying the ceramic or any other type of coating. Should be your best bet for a Matte finish

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did you paint the inside of the tire siping red, or is that an optical illusion??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did just to see how it would look as I'm changing tires soon. Putting on the Battelx S22 and will not be painting it. I hear ya about the spray on stuff it was cheap @ $15 bucks so I gave it a shot.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I did just to see how it would look as I'm changing tires soon. Putting on the Battelx S22 and will not be painting it. I hear ya about the spray on stuff it was cheap @ $15 bucks so I gave it a shot.
Hey if you like the results that is all that matters. Any layer of added protection is better than none.
Just a plain old carnuba wax (not for Matte finish) is actually a great barrier, it just doesn't last long and has to be reapplied frequently

·
Registered
149 Posts
I want to try the S22's too when my stock S21's are done. How many miles did you get out of the S21's?

·
a d m i n
151,001 Posts
Hey if you like the results that is all that matters. Any layer of added protection is better than none.
Would you say that a ceramic coating is really more like multiple wax layers? It seems to be a misconception that it’s a scratch/chip protector, when it appears to me as a long lasting shine, (matte finishes excluded).

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Would you say that a ceramic coating is really more like multiple wax layers? It seems to be a misconception that it’s a scratch/chip protector, when it appears to me as a long lasting shine, (matte finishes excluded).
The technogy is far superior to a wax for sure, but mostly due to the durability of the ceramic coating over the wax. In durability I mean of the ceramic coating itself not if the paint.
Ceramic does offer a hard protective layer that will resist scratching, but that's scratching from clothing, towels, or car wash brushes. It's also much more chemical resistant than a wax for things like gasoline, bird shit, tree sap, etc.
The claims that it will prevent rock chips or an ex girlfriend keying your baby is complete nonsense.
It will however decrease the likely hood of small chips from say bugs or very small sand size chips but that is due to the hydrophobic (or slickness) of the ceramic. It helps anything hitting your paint slide off but if you get behind a gravel truck and it hits a bump and you get sprayed with gravel (as I did like a dummy earlier this summer) .......... Yeah you got chips in your paint.

The main benefit to a ceramic coating is the increased gloss, the slickness or hydrophbicity, and the durability or how long the ceramic coating lasts before needing reapplied.
Not all ceramic coatings are created equal so if you are looking at a spray on type that needs reapplied every 6 to 12 months just like a basic wax I personally would just use the wax.

With all that being said there is a product out, or coming out soon, that does offer a much better option for durability, scratch resistance, chemical resistance, gloss, and hydrophobic properties called GRAPHINE.
The current products out labeled as graphine are junk. They are no more than ceramic coatings with a graphine claim or label.
BUT........... A true graphine coating will be available soon and from all I have seen will be a game changer. The testing vs a true pro grade ceramic coating is crazy.
A true graphine coating will offer 5 to 10 year protection and is resistant to acids, bases, gas, brake fluid, trans fluid, pretty much anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that a quality grade ceramic coating is a hassle to apply but well worth the effort.

I applied Gyeon Syncro on my bike, wheels, and helmet last winter. (they make a true wheel coating, Gyeon Rim, that has a higher temp rating and better chemical resistance and is a 1 coat application but since I had plenty of the Syncro kit left after doing the fairings I used it)

I have yet to actually wash anything. I use a spray bottle with some water and a micro fiber cloth. Brake dust, chain sling, road tar, and exhaust gas (yellowing on my rear wheel due to the taylor made exhaust and my wheels being white) do not stick to the wheel very well and is easily just wiped off.
Last season I had to remove the rear wheel and spend a considerable amount of time to get rid of the yellowing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I applied a ceramic coating to my car earlier this year. The application of the ceramic coating is actually pretty straight forward and not too much work. What really takes time is decontaminating the paint, wash, clay bar, polishing, and buffing. Then you need to clean all the oils off the paint with an alcohol solution, then you can apply the ceramic coating.

I did it all in one day. It wasn't too bad.

For a brand new motorcycle, you could skip most of the prep work because the paint has not been damaged by years of use.

A spray on "ceramic coating" is not at all the same thing, I think of those as spray wax.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yep it's all about the prep work just like painting.
If the prep isn't done right the coating will not bond correctly to the paint and fail in short order.

Depending on the ceramic coating the application is pretty straight forward.

In my case I used a 2 layer coating, each layer being applied in 2 coats with an hour in between coats and a minimum of 4 hours in between layers.

It was a 3 day process.

1 day for paint correction, decontamination, cleaning, and prep solvent to remove oil and waxes from the prep process.

Day 2 apply the base layer (I opted to wait 24 hours before paying the topcoat)

Day 3 topcoat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts