Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

I have a 2008 Blade.

I recently replaced my sprockets and chain at my Honda dealer.
The new chain comes with 120 links. The manual indicates my Blade is suppose to have 116 links so I told the dealership this info.It seems they have however only removed 2 links from the new chain, meaning I now have 118 links.

Since I received my bike back I have re-adjusted the chain tension (dealership left it at 20mm and I have set it now correctly at about 30mm (should be between 25mm and 35mm), and I then also ensured the rear axle nut is correctly torqued to speck..just in case.
Only thing is..At the rear marker plate, the indicator sits right in the middle of New chain and Replace chain (obviously because it has 118 links as oppose to 116)

My question is:
Will this matter or have any positive or negative effect to have 118 links in the new chain as oppose to 116 links?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noted thanx Ghost.
Its also what I thought..lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wheelbase will be slightly longer, but not enough to get in the way of a good wheelie from time to time. Also, have you physically counted the links? Each outside/inside combo counts as 2 links. Sometimes that gets confusing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have counted the links from the old chain and that was definitely 116.

I have not physically counted the links on the new chain, but the tech told me he removed only 2, which is consistent then with the fact that on the marker plate it indicates right in the middle while a new chain should probably indicate more like a new chain(closer to the front on the marker)

I will still count the links in the new chain..asap..just to be 100% sure but good to know at least that even if there are 118 links its still 100%

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thinking outside the square, are you certain your bike has the standard 16/42 sprocket combination?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
100% sure about the sprocket teeth yes...16 / 42

·
Registered
285 Posts
have you thought about taking it back to have it rectified.
After all you must have paid a lot of monet for the dealer to fit the wrong part!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer did not fit the wrong part. They were suppose to remove 4 links from the new chain but only removed 2 links. From the feedback here it seems its still all good to keep it like that as long as chain tension is correct.
Quite a logistical excersize to take bike in again (work, transport etc etc)...so trying to prevent that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
understood. The only change I can think of is what rule 62 has already mention.
And if the adjuster is not past the wear markers, then I guess you could live with it.

I take it all other specs such as the pitch are correct

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yip thanx.
It is in deed a 530 Chain so the pitch is correct. Could not get a 530 O-ring chain so had to go with the X-ring chain, but that is also 100%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts