Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2021 RR-R that had 195 miles on it, an Akrapovic carbon finish slip-on and various other interesting tidbits such as a fine white fluffy powder that reminds me of a fire extinguisher residue but I'm trying not to think of that. The bike was purchased sight unseen, I am in Michigan, bike was in Ohio. I bought my last bike from this particular dealer and figured to take a risk on it...

The bike was delivered and I took it out for a spin and the check engine light was on. The bike ran normal but I stopped and took a picture and sent it to the dealer who had previously assured me that the check engine light wasn't coming on and that the Akrapovic had been installed properly and the previous owner was good about taking care of bikes etc. etc. The light stayed on for the rest of the ride, about 25 miles or so. I checked the DTC and code 34 was stated. I dug into the bike and discovered that the servo cam that Akrapovic ships with their slip-on exhausts had not been installed so I figured that was the issue. First red flag.

The next day I took it out and this time no check engine light. I took it out again and no check engine light.

Today I took it out for another ride and was just about out of gas and stopped to fill up. Filled up, started the bike...and the check engine light came on. I got home and checked for a DTC but there was none. I got home and two hours later went out and turned the ignition on and the check engine light is no longer on.

I have been told that the bike ECU has not been flashed. I'm stumped--bad EVAP? Given it was a year old and only had 195 miles on it clearly wasn't ridden much.

They trailered it up to my house with a full tank, could some fuel have sloshed around and gotten into the EVAP system and wrecked it? I passed the 300 mile mark today so I was able to give it a bit of a run on the highway and it didn't miss a beat, it rides like there is nothing wrong but I can't shake the feeling of impending doom with this thing.

Thanks in advance for any help or good therapist phone numbers.

UPDATE: Second fill up, no check engine light. Maybe this bike just needed to be ridden to get the cobwebs out.

Bob

·
Registered
356 Posts
Isn’t the RR-R standard with an Akra slip on? Not sure why anything would need to be done if it was just changed out for the same can except the finish.

If the bike is run while on a stand it will throw a code. I’ve made that mistake. I reset the code and it does not come back on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the stock sound vs aftermarket bike sounds much better imo. Trying to upload a video
Same here. The dealer was able to get the OEM exhaust from the previous owner and I'll be putting that back on sometime. I don't know if the previous owner had an ECU flash done, the Akrapovic exhaust doesn't throw a check engine code but the servo motor is still installed and they did not install a servo motor cam limiter that Akrapovic ships with their exhausts. I'm thinking that it is possible they flashed the servo error code out of the ECU but maybe it has a tune, I don't know. If they did tune it, I'm not sure how the stock exhaust will work.

I find it a bit too loud and don't really care for the lumpy idle.

·
GO FAST DON'T DIE
78 Posts
Same here. The dealer was able to get the OEM exhaust from the previous owner and I'll be putting that back on sometime. I don't know if the previous owner had an ECU flash done, the Akrapovic exhaust doesn't throw a check engine code but the servo motor is still installed and they did not install a servo motor cam limiter that Akrapovic ships with their exhausts. I'm thinking that it is possible they flashed the servo error code out of the ECU but maybe it has a tune, I don't know. If they did tune it, I'm not sure how the stock exhaust will work.

I find it a bit too loud and don't really care for the lumpy idle.
also i feel stock flows much better with bike lines…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts