Do you Check the oil level with "stick" fuly in & closed or Just fuly in
(Just slide it till it stops)
Do you Check oil level when bike is cold or after running it for 1m
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR 1000 SP1
71 Posts
Hi. The manual says to just slid the check stick just until it stops, you don't screw it back in when checking oil level. The manual also says to run the engine for like 3 - 5 minutes to circulate the oil, then turn off the engine and wait like 2 - 3 minutes, then check the level. Keep the bike level of course.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It’s all there in the user manual. It’s one of the basic things you gotta be able to do.

Run bike for few mins, turn off, wait for 2-3 mins, make sure bike is up right and on flat surface, unscrew dip stick, clean it, dip it without screwing it in and check level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,062 Posts
For me, I feel like the best way to keep the bike steady and level is to sit on it holding it level and checking the oil.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,062 Posts
I put a mirror on a garage wall. Pull up, stop and I can see what the level is.
For a while I was just putting different things under the kickstand to get the bike to sit level, (because I really didn’t like sitting on the bike to check the oil), but I kept feeling like the bike was going to fall over from the aforementioned way I was leveling it, ha ha.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,062 Posts
I finally bought a Baxley chock to avoid the balance thing. One too many close calls.

It is funny how we are expected to find solutions to these things
Ok, I’m a fool. Have used a Baxley chock for the past 23 years. Never thought to use it to level my SP..! Thank ya for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My two bikes have sight glasses. The rear stand raises the back end enough to where the oil level shows up at the low level when it's really full. . On flat ground, the level would be at the upper mark.

No big deal if you know this. If I trusted the stand oil level, the bikes would both have too much oil in them. That can be just as bad as to little. If I'm going to the trouble if checking, I want it to be correct.

JD, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. It took me a while to realize the chock was good for that and that I could stop parking in front of the shoe mirror.

·
Registered
641 Posts
On the CBR it barely changes the level. On my CBR600RR with a sight glass it didn't change the level much at all either. I guess it depends on how high your stand is raising it...

·
A1 SuperMod!
949 Posts
If y'all want to be paranoid, calibrate it to a known oil level. What I mean is, after an oil change where you drain all the oil and add the amount of oil specified in the service manual, put the bike on a rear stand or front stand, it does not matter and check the oil level on the dipstick after running the bike a bit and letting it all settle.

Scratch a line on the dipstick and that's your reference mark from now on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts