Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the RR in black but I'm still waiting on delivery. How come no one has said anything about chrome rims yet? I want to chrome out my rims and I don't want to do a swap. I want to have them chrome my rims. Anyone know what a fair price to pay is?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Dont know about price, you'd have to look around your area.
As for why no one has talked about them well...
I have the agreement of every rider I've ever spoken to on this subject, crome rims on the street screams poser. People who do that ride the bike to try and look cool and not for the ride itself, same breed that trick out Honda civics. They are to be avoided. Cruisers are a different matter. Opinion, yes, but so far it has held true.
Additionally, rims on bikes are a bitch to keep clean. Ride for about a mile and it doesnt matter what color they were, they are now grey. Thats why you see black rims on bikes almost exclusivly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Please do not put chrome rims on this bike... It's a friggen street-legal track bike, not a poser-mobile. If you want shiney, polish the rims. It saves weight, doesn't comprimise the integrity, and doesn't look squidly. Chrome is heavy, cracks under loads that a normal wheel wouldn't, is expensive, and tells people right off the bat that you don't know how to ride the bike like it was designed. Every guy I know that has chrome rims on his bike, slows down for every corner. It seriously is a pre-warning of people I need to be in front of when going into the twistys. No offense, I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the subject.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vigis said:
Dont know about price, you'd have to look around your area.
As for why no one has talked about them well...
I have the agreement of every rider I've ever spoken to on this subject, crome rims on the street screams poser. People who do that ride the bike to try and look cool and not for the ride itself, same breed that trick out Honda civics. They are to be avoided. Cruisers are a different matter. Opinion, yes, but so far it has held true.
Additionally, rims on bikes are a bitch to keep clean. Ride for about a mile and it doesnt matter what color they were, they are now grey. Thats why you see black rims on bikes almost exclusivly.
Thanks I appreciate your firm answer. I have to say I do agree on one aspect although I do see a lot of really good riders doing wheelies and stunting and they have chrome rims. Like someone on that wheelie boy footage from the dude that's here. Well either way I just thought it would look really good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IronNutz said:
Please do not put chrome rims on this bike... It's a friggen street-legal track bike, not a poser-mobile. If you want shiney, polish the rims. It saves weight, doesn't comprimise the integrity, and doesn't look squidly. Chrome is heavy, cracks under loads that a normal wheel wouldn't, is expensive, and tells people right off the bat that you don't know how to ride the bike like it was designed. Every guy I know that has chrome rims on his bike, slows down for every corner. It seriously is a pre-warning of people I need to be in front of when going into the twistys. No offense, I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the subject.
No thats cool I believe in honest answers. I also agree with you like vigis. Now I do have a good point the bring up disregarding the term "loud pipes saves lives" which I firmly believe it, vigis said the chrome could be in the same class as civic lovers, now a lot of sportbike riders get the pipe not caring about dynos but wanting the loud noise it provides. Would you agree that is in the same category as civic customizers?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hmmmm, tough question... In all honesty I do want a slip-on for sound and looks, though I would never do that on my vehicles.

I would never do chrome rims personally for several resons: 1. Cost, initial and replacement because of mad potholes here. 2. Safety, because of cracking (See #1) I don't want an issue at 180 MPH. 3. Weight, noticible difference in rotating mass = slower brakeing and worse turn-in. 4. Stunting, though not my deal, you mentioned a stunter with chrome rims. I personally have never seen it. The constant pounding of wheels on the pavement would lead to cracking the rims. 5. Racing, when's the last time you saw a bike with chrome wheels racing, or at a track day even?? Must be a reason...

Do whatever makes you happy, but im my mind there are too many strikes against chroming to make it a valid option.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a real good answer. At first I didn't know the dynamics and all of the problems it created but now because I do I will just clean and polish the bike nicely and be on my way. Thanks!

·
Serial Killer
2,058 Posts
i hate chrome, but i HAVE thought about powder coating the swing arm black. i just dont like that its not black like the frame

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm not that big on all the add ons for the bike to make it "pretty". If you like it hey it's your thing. I'm with Ironnutz on the chrome subject! I can't see buying a sportbike an adding 50lbs extra of chrome.( some riders do more than the wheels) We each like different things and that is cool. So be happy with your choices!! Keep the shinny side up!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with Diggy about the swingarm, which I mentioned in another thread. I also agree with Polishing, instead of chroming. You can also polish it yourself fairly easy. On another note, I have seen a honda civic run a 9 second 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I disagree with the comment most people who chrome slow down for turns.Although i'm not going to chrome these rims,i did have the rims polished on my f4i(not a poser).Trust me when i say I ride with the best of them.chrome cost about 1200 polishing 600.I going to leave the bike stock except for a muffler and signal lights.BTW I think most people who ride in the city do their bikes up.(chrome, paint,etc)because there are no twisties to run.Speaking from a N.Y.C.prospective. I done 2 track days in like 4years.Track are in other states around here.Phil,Bos. VA.Just my .02

·
Registered
425 Posts
I personally can't stand chrome. The one thing I hate about sportbikes is the stigma of riding one. Though the stunters can be mildly entertaining, the crowd that is into that makes me embarrassed to ride a sportbike. It is the same kind of person that puts pipes on a civic. If you want chrome, go buy a harley. I just think it looks terrible on sportbikes. I don't want anyone to take this personally, I'm sure there are alot of great people in that crowd but you won't find me hanging out at stunt shows. I'm so glad I live in twisty heaven, I could not imagine riding a sportbike around town all day long and "posing" with my paint job and rims.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Call me a posers then...My bike is goin to be all chrome.. frame, swing arm, rims..EVERYTHING!! Yeah, i'm a fuckin poser! Please.. all you guys sayin, oh chrome is ugly, not for a sport bike..blah blah blah....Chrome is KING! One thing is true.. Chome wont get you home, but it will get you laid.

Fuck the weight it puts on.. if your riding street, does it really matter?? NO! Dont hate the game or the guys who are in it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's like having a "SHOW CAR" you haul this beautiful fast car around on a trailer.this car no doubtably will kick ass on the drag strip, but the owner doesnt want to get it dirty!!
Now in san diego, i had some guy call me a poser because i had mirrors on my bike! WTF!! becuase didnt take my mirrors off i'm a poser? This kid was 19 and i looked at him and told him that i had been riding my streetbike when he was still in grade school, and if he has a grand to put down on a track race i would show him what kind of poser i am.
I never got to race that kid.I was told that he was darting through traffic and clipped a car (i think becuase he didnt have his mirrors) and did not survive.I make no claims to be hardcore, i enjoy riding and i know i wouldnt be happy riding a cruiser.I'm glad that most of the people who post here are purists in the sense of riding.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Joeroke - I was hesitant to post what I said but it is really how I look at that stuff. I don't mean anything personal by it for sure. I'm just not into girls that would want a guy because he's got chromed wheels and never needed any help with the ladies anyways other than helping me choose which one :D . I guess I could compare this to some guy driving down the road at 50 mph in his 100,000 dollar porsche. That in itself isn't a big deal until you see the spead limit is 65!! these bikes are built to for performance, not for bling bling. I agree everyone has there opinion and if that's your thing, go for it and have a great time I have no problems at all with that. But everytime I personally see a chromed out bike or a civic with a pipe I get a little laugh. We all do that stuff though, wether it be about bikes and cars or something else someone is doing we don't agree with. No biggie, but I'd rather see you riding a blinged out Busa since that is all they are good for anyways.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you're going to do anything with the rims, not reccommended for a street bike cause of the grime factor, polish or get them powder coated.
As for loud pipes save lives, believe what you want but proof leads me to the conclusion that they dont.
Too much sound goes out the back while most of your problems come from the front plus with loud pipes you cant hear whats going on around you. I've ridden with loud piped people before and the cage drivers dont notice them any more than any of the rest of us.
Get them for power or sound but not for that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I personally dig the appearance of polished rims. I think they look best when you polish the outer lip, and the inner rim, but leave the centers/spokes black. Someone said $600 for polished rims... that is crazy! There are 2 places in town which will perform the job I mentioned above for $200-250. Will be getting this done myself when it comes time for a tire change.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Jarrod

hey man do what you want its yours...but be aware that there are consequences of doing that to you bike

like the po-po tend to pull blinger bikers (dealers have a tendency for blinged bikes)

and there are other issues (cracking rims/ flaking off rims/ weight)

and there maybe other ways to get the effect you want

i have seen polished rims that were clearcoated

i have seen crome stickers that were put on

and you might want to go with a different color powdercoat

I am a full beliver that the red cbr with red lowers and red rims would be killer

but do what you want .....`somepeople are not going to like it either way you go

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.