Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, on my ‘12 every time I shifted from neutral to first I would always feel a hard clunk. Finally bought bike stands for the first time and with the clutch fully engaged when I shift to first it clunks and spins the rear tire like it kicked into gear, but if I keep the clutch held down after it does that and I stop the tire with my hand it won’t move at all with the clutch engaged. Is this normal or something to be worried about? Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hold on...

If you are in neutral, and you shift into 1st, there is always going to be the 'clunk' you describe. This is normal. However...

...with the clutch fully engaged when I shift to first it clunks and spins the rear tire like it kicked into gear...
With your clutch FULLY ENGAGED you shift into 1st gear? Or with the clutch DISENGAGED? If you are trying to shift into 1st with the clutch engaged you can do some damage. Assuming you typed that wrong, then yes, as soon as you click into 1st gear from neutral, your rear tire should spin a little even with the clutch DISENGAGED.

...but if I keep the clutch held down after it does that and I stop the tire with my hand it won’t move at all with the clutch engaged. Is this normal or something to be worried about? Thanks!
Are you typing this correctly? Your tire won't move at all with the clutch ENGAGED? This mean the lever is all the way out.

If your bike is in ANY gear, and the clutch is ENGAGED, your rear tire should spin if you have the bike up on a rear stand.

By chance, is this your first bike? I'm assuming your wording is just incorrect here..?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hold on...

If you are in neutral, and you shift into 1st, there is always going to be the 'clunk' you describe. This is normal. However...

With your clutch FULLY ENGAGED you shift into 1st gear? Or with the clutch DISENGAGED? If you are trying to shift into 1st with the clutch engaged you can do some damage. Assuming you typed that wrong, then yes, as soon as you click into 1st gear from neutral, your rear tire should spin a little even with the clutch DISENGAGED.

Are you typing this correctly? Your tire won't move at all with the clutch ENGAGED? This mean the lever is all the way out.

If your bike is in ANY gear, and the clutch is ENGAGED, your rear tire should spin if you have the bike up on a rear stand.

By chance, is this your first bike? I'm assuming your wording is just incorrect here..?
I should have been more careful with my wording, with my clutch LEVER engaged. I.e. clutch disengaged from the transmission. I know how a clutch/trans operates and understand the very basic concept you described. This is the first time I’ve ever had a bike on a stand that does this. I’ve had about 6 bikes in the past ten years. Some I understand do that slightly shifting into first, however this one is the roughest one I’ve had; it’s like briefly shifting into first from neutral with the clutch engaged (clutch lever not held). But I’ve come to the conclusion it’s normal on these. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I should have been more careful with my wording, with my...
No worries! I didn't mean to halfway insult your intelligence there, just the wording was confusing ;)

You've had multiple bikes, so I'd say if you feel like the shift from neutral to 1st in THIS bike is a bit more rough than normal, you might consider ensuring the clutch is adjusted properly. If there is too much slack in the cable, or 'play' at the lever, then when you pull the lever all the way back to the bar it may not fully disengage the clutch, which could result in a 'harder' shift to 1st.

Does it ever feel like shifting up OR down while riding requires more force than what you are used to?

Shaun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries! I didn't mean to halfway insult your intelligence there, just the wording was confusing ;)

You've had multiple bikes, so I'd say if you feel like the shift from neutral to 1st in THIS bike is a bit more rough than normal, you might consider ensuring the clutch is adjusted properly. If there is too much slack in the cable, or 'play' at the lever, then when you pull the lever all the way back to the bar it may not fully disengage the clutch, which could result in a 'harder' shift to 1st.

Does it ever feel like shifting up OR down while riding requires more force than what you are used to?

Shaun
Yeah it feels tougher than it normally should, I almost have to hold the front brake when I do it. But when I do it on the tire stands, I keep the clutch lever held and slow the rear tire to a stop with my foot and have zero movement showing the clutch completely disengaged. Only other problem I’ve had was I have to kick it to shift into second if I’m more than 20% on the throttle or it hits neutral. However, I was also having a problem with the neutral light not coming on and the gear selector showing a dashed line, pulled and cleaned the fuse for it and pushed it back in and haven’t had either problem since. Overall though I have zero problems shifting. First time owning a Honda and also first time owning a 1000 so maybe it’s just a harder clunk than I’m used to.

edit: completely forgot to add that the clutch cable is taught and has no slack or play in it. Along with whenever the clutch is disengaged and the bikes on stands, there’s zero movement or resistance in the rear tire.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah it feels tougher than it normally should, I almost have to hold the front brake when I do it. But when I do it on the tire stands, I keep the clutch lever held and slow the rear tire to a stop with my foot and have zero movement showing the clutch completely disengaged. Only other problem I’ve had was I have to kick it to shift into second if I’m more than 20% on the throttle or it hits neutral. However, I was also having a problem with the neutral light not coming on and the gear selector showing a dashed line, pulled and cleaned the fuse for it and pushed it back in and haven’t had either problem since. Overall though I have zero problems shifting. First time owning a Honda and also first time owning a 1000 so maybe it’s just a harder clunk than I’m used to.

edit: completely forgot to add that the clutch cable is taught and has no slack or play in it. Along with whenever the clutch is disengaged and the bikes on stands, there’s zero movement or resistance in the rear tire.
Okay, so 2 things here:

1. If there is NO slack/play in your lever, you need to add a little bit! There should be, generally speaking, a few millimeters of play measured at the perch. The complete opposite as what I've said previously, if you have NO slack in your cable at the perch, then there is a chance that you clutch does not fully engage when you let the lever out, and that can cause slippage, which you definitely do not want. I don't know what amount of free play your specific year should have, but if you have a shop manual it will tell you...actually, your owners manual might even have that info. Worse case, a google search for your year/make/model should net you results of how much free play there should be. You can also hop on Youtube and just do a search for 'motorcycle clutch adjustment". There are tons of good examples there, but you need to have some free play at the lever.

2. Once upon a time I owned a 1998 Trans Am. Fantastic car! But when I first bought it, it exhibited a similar issue as your bike appears to, in that if I was accelerating at anything more than about 25-30%, getting it to shift was really difficult. This turned out to be faulty/worn synchros in the tranny. I couldnt' possibly say for sure that you have the same issue, but it's something you could look into. I think each gear has it's own syncro, so your 1st to 2nd one could be bad or worn out. That is, if these bikes even have the same configuration as a car. I really don't know...:confused:

There are a lot of really savvy folks on these forums...I'm actually kinda shocked no one has left any comments yet...hopefully in a day or two someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Shaun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so 2 things here:

1. If there is NO slack/play in your lever, you need to add a little bit! There should be, generally speaking, a few millimeters of play measured at the perch. The complete opposite as what I've said previously, if you have NO slack in your cable at the perch, then there is a chance that you clutch does not fully engage when you let the lever out, and that can cause slippage, which you definitely do not want. I don't know what amount of free play your specific year should have, but if you have a shop manual it will tell you...actually, your owners manual might even have that info. Worse case, a google search for your year/make/model should net you results of how much free play there should be. You can also hop on Youtube and just do a search for 'motorcycle clutch adjustment". There are tons of good examples there, but you need to have some free play at the lever.

2. Once upon a time I owned a 1998 Trans Am. Fantastic car! But when I first bought it, it exhibited a similar issue as your bike appears to, in that if I was accelerating at anything more than about 25-30%, getting it to shift was really difficult. This turned out to be faulty/worn synchros in the tranny. I couldnt' possibly say for sure that you have the same issue, but it's something you could look into. I think each gear has it's own syncro, so your 1st to 2nd one could be bad or worn out. That is, if these bikes even have the same configuration as a car. I really don't know...:confused:

There are a lot of really savvy folks on these forums...I'm actually kinda shocked no one has left any comments yet...hopefully in a day or two someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Shaun
I’ll have to check when I get off shift about the slack for certain, all I know was there was no major play. And as to the synchros I’m not sure either! I haven’t had this problem since I cleaned off the neutral position fuse, although I’m not sure how that ties into actually shifting, but it’s seemed to suffice. I’ll do some more tests on it to see if it’s really just that gear at a certain throttle percentage.

unfortunately this post has been active for about a month and had no real hits on it. This site in general seems rather inactive. But I do appreciate your input and advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts