Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just reading ldh's page on the 1000rr...and he mentioned the smooth gearbox.

is it just me, or is it really "clunky" sounding. i've only got about 475km on mine and heard it gets better, but it's pretty damn loud at this point...

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
If the idle speed is set too high then you will get some clunk between gears from the tranny being loaded up IF you don't hit your shifts just perfect, but with the idle speed correct mine has been as smooth as a baby's butt. Proper shifting technique is important though. Lazy hands not shutting the throttle all the way off or not pulling the clutch lever quick enough before lifting the shift lever will cause some clunks.

BTW in my experience I would say 95% of all shifting problems like false neutrals & bikes jumping out of gear are operator error. Even little things like changing your riding boots can cause you not to get the proper amount of lift on the lever etc...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no issues with false neutrals...
un-honda like would about describe neutral to first....definitely....

i've been riding with a hydraulic clutch for a couple years now with my rc, and the gearbox hasn't been as loud as this one....

·
Registered
40 Posts
With all of 30 miles on the bike I noticed two gear issues.

1. Once while shifting from fith to sixth there was a big 'clunk' noise after I released the clutch lever.

Pull in the clutch....Let off the throttle.....Shift up......release the clutch.....a second or two go by.....'clunk' noise.....

I didn't notice a change in speed or traction as a result of the clunk noise. Hmm....Any thoughts?

2. There is a big 'clunk' shifting from N to 1 along with a little forward jerk. Probably not a big deal. The same thing happens on the SV if I shift from N to 1 with the choke 1/4 to 1/2 open.

--KP

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: rr gearbox

llmaurice said:
Ours has over 1000 all track miles now and possibly the best thing about it according to our rider is --- the transmission ! We run race shift mounted on the bottom engine bolt and semi synthetic oil.
Dude! Where do I get that shifter lever?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Clunky? The drive train does have a bit of "slack" in it, but as far as the tranny itself?

I can tell you this...the F4 i traded on this bike had 8000 miles, and was running full-synth oil. My RR shifted far better the day i bought it, and will only get better. I'd say it's the best shifting bike i have ever owned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.