Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls Has anyone seen this before? I bought the bike from a friend the beginning of last season hasn’t gave me any issues it had 6k miles when I bought it now it’s at 13k miles anyway Thursday I was making a pull I was at the end of 6th gear at like 178mph and heard a pop and a bad vibration.
Anyway I messaged my friend I bought it from last night he said he never touched the clutch it should be factory. Popped the cover off and saw this the threads for the bolt for the spring is fine like it’s not stripped need to find the bolt and spring later in the oil pan and need to tig weld the case back because it cracked. Anyway has anyone seen this I’m just curious I’m already fixing it. Sorry about rambling it’s the adhd 🤪

FD7C7CA2-D4D9-4663-BF5E-06C8DDF24AE2.jpeg
5B0F0C36-F01D-4380-9753-DD1E0C5B7518.jpeg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Unless those marks are there from factory, looks like it has been opened before, look at those round marks (from the socket?) around the bolts, maybe someone didn’t tighten one of them. You should check all gears/teeth to make sure nothing else is damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,018 Posts
Looks like it could’ve been a lot worse, lucky!

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Why not get a new clutch basket? There are some parts that should not be repaired.

·
BOTM Moderator
613 Posts
I ordered all new parts for everything I was worried about this crack in the case of the motor but looking at it now it looks like the motor splits there.
You had mentioned in your original post that you were going to tig weld the case.

is that off the table?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You had mentioned in your original post that you were going to tig weld the case.

is that off the table?
Yeah so originally I popped the clutch cover off saw the bolt was gone. Took a picture of it all and then later when I was showing my girlfriend I noticed what I thought was a crack in the lower case on the right side you can see it in the picture above. So today I decided to look at it again and noticed that the “crack” is factory like it looks like Honda split the case there for what I have no idea but it goes across the whole block and there’s 10mm bolts across it so it’s factory.

going to order a new clutch basket and clutches now. Hopefully I explained it well enough

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the original picture up top it looks like a crack and then I just now looked at the other side and noticed it’s factory so I felt better lol today I actually looked the bike over when it first happened I literally popped the cover off took a picture and left

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly, I don't think a crack like this would be factory. It's jagged

View attachment 262929
Yeah that’s really weird so the picture didn’t show it but there’s RTV or Honda bond or something in it like you know when you smash it and it pushes out that’s in there UNLESS it was already like that when I got it

oh also I feel like for it to crack there would be some kind of impact mark on it you know like when the initial bolt or whatever hit it

·
Registered
652 Posts
That doesn’t look like a split/join/mould mark from the factory when you look from the inside of the clutch case.

A previous owner may have put sealant there to prevent oil from leaking from there or the sealant is just from the cover.

I don’t know why there is corrosion and rust on the dowel pins and towards the front of the case where the sealant goes…looks like something happened to this bike before and someone opened it up but didn’t put it back together properly, that’s probably why the bolt backed out.

Check another CBR from same year and compare that crack before you decide to not do anything about it.

Also you should clean the area, replace dowel pins and use HondaBond as sealant when putting the cover back on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That doesn’t look like a split/join/mould mark from the factory when you look from the inside of the clutch case.

A previous owner may have put sealant there to prevent oil from leaking from there or the sealant is just from the cover.

I don’t know why there is corrosion and rust on the dowel pins and towards the front of the case where the sealant goes…looks like something happened to this bike before and someone opened it up but didn’t put it back together properly, that’s probably why the bolt backed out.

Check another CBR from same year and compare that crack before you decide to not do anything about it.

Also you should clean the area, replace dowel pins and use HondaBond as sealant when putting the cover back on.

Planned on it. I’ll end up looking at it closer once I get more parts ordered a new basket and clutches for it. If it actually is cracked I WILL end up tig welding it and will post my findings. Hopefully next weekend I’ll have everything and put it back together

·
BOTM Moderator
613 Posts
There are a few people on the list that have posted comments about having rebuilt their engines recently. would be good if you could dig up those threads and see if they have any comments on this.

Here are some names that I dug up:

@09_Blade, @run4cover, @TurboDave might have some comments too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The 2007 clutch uses 5 smaller bolts vs. 1 giant staked bolt on 2008+ engines. Should use a high strength oil/heat resistant Loctite on the threads such as 2701 and torque to spec.

That "crack" is where Honda split the crankcase so you can install the crankshaft. See lower right in picture it's exactly where the "crack" is located. Odd that it's jagged like that.

It's common for dowel pins to rust if the bike has been used in the rain. As per service manual, sealant is only applied on the inside edge of the dowel pin hole so it's not sealed against water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah I just got my new basket and bolts and stuff and brought it over to my shop and got a closer picture the jagged “crack” is just rtv lol the angle of the picture made it look bad! I appreciate everyone’s input. And the rusty dowl is prob cause I’m in MD it’s humid as fuck I’ve just sat the cover on with 1 bolt just to hold it in place I’m assuming that’s what caused that.

it just baffles me I bought the bike with like 5k miles on it I assumed it was all stock but definitely as someone pointed out someone was in here and did something with the clutches as you can tell by the scratches around the bolts on the washer... anyway it could have been way worse I was literally in the middle of a pull speedo said 189 mph(I have it geared) I’m assuming I was really doingabout 168-170 and it started shaking bad scared the hell out of me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the bikes together can’t post videos but I fished out the old bolt and it was still tight to the little ear thing you bolt the pressure plate to and the spring was still intact so I’m not too sure what failed and made it shatter like that any ideas?

·
Registered
652 Posts

Maybe these two guys have something to do with all this :)

Good to know your bike is up and running again. I still think someone forgot to tightened that bolt earlier, that’s the reason it backed out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Maybe these two guys have something to do with all this :)

Good to know your bike is up and running again. I still think someone forgot to tightened that bolt earlier, that’s the reason it backed out.

Lmfaooo if it happens again I’ll blame my self I bought the bike with 5k miles on it and never opened the clutch cover! I figured nobody was in there before who burns a clutch up at 5k miles were at 13k now.

Only things I can think of is the quick shifter but I’ve had the same one in other bikes and my friend has the same one on his zx14 10 and both cbr1000s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts