Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 2007 cbr 1000, all the oil came out the bottom of engine ,i took the casing off and seen the clutch in many pieces and big hole in the casing, my question is ,is this expensive to fix or should i part the bike out and buy another one or fix it?

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
219 Posts
If you can do the work yourself it is usually better to fix, at least in my world. :)
You might consider an aftermarket slipper clutch, if there is one available for your bike.
Cases can be expensive but not too bad. If you know someone handy with a TIG welder you might be able to fix the case. Welding cast aluminum is a pain, I spent two hours welding up a set of center cases on a race bike after a rod went through it and the cases weren't available to buy in time for the next race. I would have preferred to buy a set.

Parting out a bike is never fun, and a hassle, never can sell all by part, and what to do with the left overs.

The biggest item to do is make sure all the metal and clutch particular are cleaned out of the engine. Sometimes this requires a tear down, other times is basic cleaning and changing the oil filter a couple times in the first 500 miles after something like this.

Good luck.

·
SuperMod
837 Posts
If there's a hole in the engine casing, he might have a tough time finding a replacement. Probably best bet is to find another engine that works and drop it in.
From some threads I've seen here, finding engines for these older bikes is not going to be easy.

Check this video out that Ari is building a 250 engine with a hole in it.

and this is a single cylinder engine, not a 4. Gives you and idea what might it take to fix it.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
219 Posts
Buying a used engine can be a risk also, you don't know what it has been through before. But there are some importers that bring in engines from Japan where the draconic laws has it easy to junk a low mileage vehicle rather than pay to the intense inspections.
Rebuilding an engine yourself or through a known builder gets you a known quality that you can count on.
Lots of ways to go with different price points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts