Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As the title states, clutch started to slip today while riding, and I'm kinda pissed and confused at the same time. I'm the original owner, I don't drag race, never been to the track, I don't miss gears when shifting, or do anything, to my knowledge, that would justify my clutch slipping already. Spirited freeway bandido stuff here and there, but generally I don't use this bike for it's designed purpose. I don't even do clutch-ups...I don't know how o_Oo_Oo_O

While I'm not terribly versed with clutches, I am familiar with adjusting at both the lever and at the clutch. Using a digital caliper today, the free play in the lever is within spec per the shop manual. Also, with the bike on a rear stand, I recorded a video of me simply releasing the clutch lever slowly to see where the friction zone is. It appears to engage slightly after halfway through it's travel. I don't really know how to tell if it fully engages or not. It still rips, but both 3rd and 4th gear slipped today, and both times it happened with a quick and dramatic increase in throttle. Like, if I had been in an automatic car, the tranny would have downshifted 2 gears due to the throttle increase. If I accelerate normally and smoothly, I don't notice any slippage. If it's worth anything, there is a lot of 'chatter' in the lever when fully out, i.e., if I don't remove the free play. Once I pull the lever in to remove the free play, it stops 'chattering'. I can 'feel' this chatter on my right foot when on the bike, too.

Would it be worth it to try and adjust the friction zone back toward the grip a little? Is that something that is normally required on a new bike after a few thousand miles? This is my first new bike, and my last one was an '06 with a hydraulic clutch.

Anyways, just looking for some input. I really hope I don't have to replace the clutch on a bike with less than 5k on the clock...

Any input is appreciated!

Shaun

·
SuperMod
912 Posts
Hi Shaun,
how do you know the clutch slipped?
I can't tell based on your write up what the actual problem was that you experienced.

The way I test clutches, in cars or bikes, is put it in second or their gear. Hold the brake, or the e-brake on a car.
then try to move it by releasing the clutch.

If clutch is slipping, you'll see the enging still revving and the vehicle not moving.

if the engine struggles more and more as you release the clutch, the clutch is doing it's job and at some point the engine will stall.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shaun,
how do you know the clutch slipped?
I can't tell based on your write up what the actual problem was that you experienced.

The way I test clutches, in cars or bikes, is put it in second or their gear. Hold the brake, or the e-brake on a car.
then try to move it by releasing the clutch.

If clutch is slipping, you'll see the enging still revving and the vehicle not moving.

if the engine struggles more and more as you release the clutch, the clutch is doing it's job and at some point the engine will stall.
Hi Bosston,

What I experienced was applying substantial throttle, and the RPMs shot up more quickly than my speed and acceleration would suggest, then after a second or so, the RPMs went back down as the clutch caught friction. All the while I was not accelerating, even though my engine speed increased by about 2k. I guess that part is hard to explain…

I’ve driven cars in the past that had bad clutches that slipped, so I’m familiar with the symptoms and what not. The bike exhibited the same as the cars.

slow, smooth acceleration doesn’t cause slippage. Only when under heavy load…at least so far. So with the bike on a rear stand, if I were to hold the brake and let the clutch out, the bike will surely stall out. The clutch grabs if I chill, but slipped twice under heavy load.

Hope this all makes sense!

Shaun

** Edit to add: Just tested in the garage. Bike will stall for sure if I hold the brake. With the clutch all the way out it thinks it’s going 11 MPH.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "chatter" you describe is concerning. What do you mean the lever chatters? Can you feel it if you take up the initial slack?

There is no way with riding how you describe that the clutch plates wore out in 5k miles.
The chatter is like a vibration I can feel. It’s slight, but present. If I take out the initial slack, it goes away.

·
A1 SuperMod!
993 Posts
Unfortunately, if you have exhausted adjustment options the next step would be remove the clutch cover and inspect the components. What you describe sounds like the clutch slipping, heating up, then catching. This happens because when the clutch heats up the plates expand and has the effect of "releasing" the clutch more.

Have you confirmed that the cable isn't snagging or sticking at any point of the clutch travel? Any sticking at the linkage on the right clutch cover? Chattering sounds like a clutch release bearing issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts