Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Hook 'em!
2,560 Posts
FYI --> My dealer said this on Saturday (2.22.20), "Please note that the release date of the 50 bikes being released to the US has been moved to the 17th of July, 2020."
They also told me they want $1380 ADM (additional dealer markup), which is about 5%. I have NEVER paid over MSRP for anything...
If they have your $1000 deposit they can set whatever price they want as the S in MSRP = Suggested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@Musclehead34 yea, if it is something people want then dealers LOVE to charge extra! There are two sides to this coin....YES it does suck that MSRP OR LESS isn't always the price but some "halo" vehicles have smaller margins for the dealer so their sob story is that they are trying to run a business and they have to make a certain percentage on every vehicle they sell although 15% of a 10K MX bike is $1500 and 15% of this new CBR1000RR-R SP is over $4200....a dealer with limited floor space should sell as many CBRs as possible, right?! Maybe the invoice for the new CBR is only 5% less than MSRP, that would still yield ABOUT the same number of dollars. This behavior does back fire, for example, two Ford dealers here in SoCal tried to corner the market on Raptors by buying up all the Raptors in the area and then colluding to fix the prices. Both dealers were selling for 5-15k over MSRP! Everyone that HAD to have a Raptor bought one and now those two dealers are blowing out new Raptors for 2-3k under MSRP because no one cares anymore. Those folks that paid over are going to be pissed when they sell and the market for used ones is going to be tough. Isn't GREED one of the seven deadly sins? Anyway, I digress. Since there are only 47-50 bikes IF you really want one then some markup should be anticipated. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not but no one seems to care about doing the "right thing" anymore. Everyone seems to be out for themselves. I'll get my dealer to give me 15% off parts and make it up that way...

·
Registered
118 Posts
. . . They also told me they want $1380 ADM (additional dealer markup), which is about 5%. I have NEVER paid over MSRP for anything...
That sounds suspiciously like a rort. Sure, a dealer can name its own 'suggested' price, but I wouldn't be placing my business with a dealer who did so, just as I wouldn't patronise a McDonald's franchise that chose to sell its Big Mac for 50 cents dearer than others. Stinks of nothing more than a cash grab from a guaranteed, captive market!:mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
@nigelrb totally agree - IF EVERYONE refused to participate in paying ADM dealers would have to change their behavior wouldn't they.....that would be something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep. I should have pointed out we don't have such a thing in UK. Honda sets the price; dealers can sell for less but not more.

Of course with the newer bikes, the RR-R in particular, no dealer will offer huge discounts or generous trade-in values, because they know they can sell the bikes twice over. But paying extra? Wow!!;)

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Funny thing is I do not know of anyone that paid over MSRP for the day one SP2s (or even the SP1s) This is why you pay your deposit with your Amex card - if the dealer threatens to add a markup, simply threaten to reverse the deposit. Amex will have your back.

This is also why you negotiate the deposit to be refundable..

All of our dealers were decent enough to only charge the MSRP. of course a year of more later the unsold SP2s were being discounted.
Not every RR-R SP will be sold, there will be unsold units after the dust has cleared.

If a dealer is willing to try fuck you over for additional markup after you put the deposit down then they are dishonest and why would you want any further relationship with them? How about you share their name with the world so people know whom to avoid in the future.

And the idea that halo vehicles have lower margins for dealers is pure bullshit. Doesn't work that way. The higher the price the higher the margin. The SC77 SP2 had a higher margin than the SP which again had a higher margin than the SC77 ABS and base.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@RC45 all deposits made in California are fully refundable unless you sign a contract that states the deposit is NOT refundable.

These "halo" vehicles do, in fact, have lower margins as a percentage of the MSRP, that does not mean the dealer is making less money.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
@RC45 all deposits made in California are fully refundable unless you sign a contract that states the deposit is NOT refundable.

These "halo" vehicles do, in fact, have lower margins as a percentage of the MSRP, that does not mean the dealer is making less money.
That's odd - the invoice prices for the Base ABS SP and SP2 shared with me in 2017 showed a similar %age difference to MSRP across the board to be the same for all 4 motorcycles.
I guess my dealer friends lied to me - in print.

You actually signed that your deposit is non-refundable?

·
Registered
37 Posts
@RC45, I'm not saying anyone lied to you but I rarely trust a word that comes from a dealer....some manufacturers, like Aprilia, have a 13% margin between invoice and MSRP across the board on all the bikes they sell, sounds like Honda does something similar, but you can't expect all manufacturers to do things the same way.

I know for a fact that some vehicles have a smaller percentage as a profit of MSRP.

No, I did not sign anything that said my deposit is not refundable in the case of this new CBR1000RR-R SP.

I do know you can "contract away" your deposit, for example, when I bought a Ducati 1299 Superleggera in 2017 I gave an $8000 deposit that was refundable and signed an initial agreement that I was interested in the bike, this represented a 10% deposit. The second agreement I signed a month of so later required ANOTHER $8000 deposit and combined the two deposits into a purchase agreement stating these deposits (total of $16000.00) were NOT refundable and I was ordering the bike, almost like a "work for hire" contract.

I also know for a fact that as a percentage of MSRP the Ducati Superleggeras (ALL OF THEM) are lower than other models Ducati sells, like the V4R.

And I don't want to burn any bridges with my local Powerhouse Honda dealer here in SoCal but I am sure you can put 1 and 1 together to figure out who it is....

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
How are you burning a bridge with a dealer that is going to charge you additional markup?
A bridge suggests some kind of reciprocal respect - them raising the price on you is an act of ultimate disrespect.

But to each their own I suppose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@RC45,so here is why I don't want to burn a bridge....first off there are only 47-50 bikes coming into the US in 2020 and IF I want one then I may have to accept the price hike. I am not happy about it but it could be much worse and nothing is set in stone yet.

I am holding out hope my dealer changes their mind but at this point it is just a conversation and I have a confirmed deposit and I don't want to jeopardize that....does that make sense? I will be the one that decides if I am willing to pay any ADM or not. There might be a way to make everyone happy as I am in the market for a new EU2200 generator for tire warmers at the track and maybe they will cut me a great deal. I am NOT OK with dealers taking advantage just I am trying to be open-minded.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
To be brutally honest, I don't understand your point of view. The fact they want to charge you extra is not really offset by a discount they may give you on a generator.

You are not free to buy the generator somewhere else because the "discount" is only based on your buying the bike at their insulting inflated price.

I understand the extra $1300 is pocket change to you but for me, principal trumps bike every time. But its obviously your choice :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
. . . Not every RR-R SP will be sold, there will be unsold units after the dust has cleared. . .
That was exactly the case with the release of the UK version of the Triumph Daytona Moto 2 Limited Edition. There was a lot of media hoo haa about the bikes ALL selling within 72 hours. Very soon, cancellations starting rolling in, for various reasons. Even now, it is reported that a brand new one can be ordered and delivered! I have no doubt the same will apply to the RR-R SP.

. . . but for me, principal trumps bike every time. . .
That's what 'm talkin' about!! I live my life on that very point: 'If a man has no principles, he has nothing.';)

·
Hook 'em!
2,560 Posts
It's all about supply and demand. If the demand is high and the supply is low, prices naturally go up. What the fuck's wrong with free enterprise? This is a luxury item so y'all stop crying. Again, Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price

·
Registered
60 Posts
FYI --> My dealer said this on Saturday (2.22.20), "Please note that the release date of the 50 bikes being released to the US has been moved to the 17th of July, 2020."
They also told me they want $1380 ADM (additional dealer markup), which is about 5%. I have NEVER paid over MSRP for anything...
Both dealers I put a deposit with quoted me only the MSRP plus destination and other applicable fees/taxes. The second deposit I placed, with a dealer that has been confirmed to be receiving an allocation, sent me the usual pricing breakdown you get with a purchase. The 17th of July was the same tentative date I was given.

I don't particularly see anything wrong with a dealer requesting more than MSRP for something that is limited or in-demand. I hate it as a buyer, but understand why a dealership would want to maximize their profit. You'll just have to decide if you want it bad enough to pay the $1380, or want to risk not getting one to save that cash.

I have two deposits out. One I'm 99% confident on, the other not-so-much, but I'll post it here if it goes through.

·
Registered
118 Posts
. . . What the fuck's wrong with free enterprise? . . .
Nothing at all wrong with 'free enterprise' and it is the core of thriving markets. However, when sellers decide to become exploitative in their markups, it questions the morals and business ethics of that particular seller.

If a product is quoted a 'recommended' price by a manufacturer, it should not (in my view) be seen as an invite to the reseller to immediately price hike. I should hope that any manufacturer who witnesses these cash grabs would censure the reseller for it surely is not within the spirit of the reseller's agreement with the manufacturer. There must exist a contractual definition of 'suggested retail' and I hope it would define that the product can be sold for a lesser amount but not higher.

·
Hook 'em!
2,560 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with 'free enterprise' and it is the core of thriving markets. However, when sellers decide to become exploitative in their markups, it questions the morals and business ethics of that particular seller.

If a product is quoted a 'recommended' price by a manufacturer, it should not (in my view) be seen as an invite to the reseller to immediately price hike. I should hope that any manufacturer who witnesses these cash grabs would censure the reseller for it surely is not within the spirit of the reseller's agreement with the manufacturer. There must exist a contractual definition of 'suggested retail' and I hope it would define that the product can be sold for a lesser amount but not higher.
This is a luxury item. No such thing as being exploited over the purchase of a luxury item.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
This is a luxury item. No such thing as being exploited over the purchase of a luxury item.
Well, now that I have confirmed the base Triple R is coming to the US the crazy feeding frenzy and markups will seem even more brutal in the bright light of the day after :)

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
81 - 100 of 141 Posts