·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have an 08 CBR1000. I flushed out my old coolant in the following order:
  • Drained out the coolant reservoir
  • Opened drain bolt to drain from radiator
To fill up I added new coolant to the reservoir about halfway. Then I started to fill the radiator. Upon doing do I noticed the coolant isnt going in even though the radiator is empty. I rocked the bike side to side trying to remove air pockets. There are some tiny bubbles coming to the surface which then allows the new coolant to flow through. I have to repeat this process several times but very little coolant is flowing through after a lot of rocking the bike sideways. I have also squeezed the hoses on the left hand side of the bike and noticed a few bubbles from the radiator fill cap but its not enough for a normal flow.

When I loosen the drain bolt just a little and then start adding the new coolant it fills up normally. And as expected there is coolant draining from the other side. But as soon as I tighten the drain bolt the radiator fill cap does not want to take in coolant.

Any help would appreciated on how to resolve this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How much coolant came out of the drain bolt? I have a feeling not all the coolant came out, so not much can go in.

When you open the drain bolt, you need to also open the cap at the top, did you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About almost 2 litres came out of the system. I also did open the radiator cap for coolant to flow. I was finally able to solve the issue by filling up the radiator by how much it could take and turn the bike on. This allowed the air bubbles to surface automatically. It took quite some time to get all the air out but now the system is full again without airpockets. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For reference, this is what is in the service manual:

Fill the system with the recommended coolant through the filler opening up to filler neck. (radiator cap area)

Remove the radiator reserve tank cap and fill the reserve tank to the upper level line.

Bleed air from the system as follows:
1. Shift the transmission into neutral. Start the engine and let it idle for 2 - 3 minutes.
2. Snap the throttle three to four times to bleed air from the system.
3. Stop the engine and add coolant up to the proper level if necessary. Reinstall the radiator cap.
4. Check the level of coolant in the reserve tank and fill to the upper level if it is low. Install the radiator reserve tank cap.

My 2 cents-
Generally, when I fill the radiator I pour the new fluid very slowly. Allowing the trickle to go down and air to bubble up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is a pain to fill the system fully, and it takes a while, even on a 17. Did that yesterday. You do need to idle the bike, you do need to squeeze the tubes between continuous fill ups. And today, after cooling down overnight, it took some more.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I change coolant on 2012 twice a year

1) to fill in water wetter at start of summer than
2) pulls coolant for winter (no heated garage and I live is Canada, don’t want water wetter and distilled water to freeze)

I don’t have the issue you guys are experiencing.

These are the steps I follow:
1) Open cap
2) open drain and let all coolant drain
3) close drain and fill up.
4) The key is to fill up real slow so the air comes out when filling it up. If it’s not going in and Overflowing, you just pause for 3-5 seconds (no rocking or pinching hoses required)
5) When it looks full, no more bubbles in 10-15 seconds then you keep cap open and start the bike and rev few times to get rid of any last air pockets (4-5 times small revs) and shut the bike off.
6) if level goes down at at time then top up and close the cap or else just close the cap. Just don’t run the bike for too long when cap is open or else it will start to heat up and come out.
7) Just make sure your reservoir is full to the mark and if you have less coolant, you will Know if you check your reservoir because your reservoir level will go down, just top up reservoir later if needed.

Draining and Filling doesn’t take time but flushing the system (if you completely want to remove Coolant and add water wetter takes time because you have to repeat draining and filling 2–3 times to get rid of all the coolant from both sides of the thermostat. have to warm up to open thermostat and let the bike cool down between flushes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super-Moderator
537 Posts
I change coolant on 2012 twice a year

1) to fill in water wetter at start of summer than
2) pulls coolant for winter (no heated garage and I live is Canada, don’t want water wetter and distilled water to freeze)
Ho man, I think I’d just keep my SP in my kitchen, (winter time), in lieu of having to change it out 3x. :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts