Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier last year my fan warped and rubbed a hole in my radiator. I changed everything out, flushed the system, and refilled with Engine Ice. I let the engine warm up and snapped the throttle to remove any air bubbles. Coolant was, and has been, just slightly below the max line. Rode it for a couple thousand miles with no further problems. Well today was the first good and hot day that I've ridden in a while. I pull into the garage this evening and notice my temps a little over 220. Turn the engine off and hear a loud gurggle. I get off and check the coolant reservoir and it's almost completely full. I let it cool down for a couple hours then started it back up, let it run for a couple minutes, snapped the throttle several times and the coolant never went down. Temps started to go over 180 and I guess the t-stat opened up because they started going back down (fan wasn't on). Snapped the throttle some more and temps slowly went back up over 220 and the reservoir is still almost completely full. What could cause this? The level was perfect for 6 or 8 months and all of a sudden it's full now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry for the lengthy post...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hesitantly drove it to work today. I kept a close watch on the temp and as long as I stayed above 70 mph the temp would hover around 180. Any less than 60 mph and it would quickly creep over 200. When I got to work, I checked the reservoir and now it’s completely full. I don’t want to drain any out because it has been fine for a long time so I don’t understand why all of a sudden this is happening?

Thanks again

·
Pro Member
1,512 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the fan rubbing a small hole in the radiator. It was very odd. I did everything you did and mine has been fine with absolutely no issues. All else fails, drain, refill and try again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, the coolant is still bright blue and my engine oil is in the right spot so I don't think oil is mixing with the coolant. The engine seems to be running fine, other than the unusually high temp (222F) at the stop light this morning when it was only 65F outside. I sure hope it’s not a bad head gasket.

I'm thinking about flushing it this weekend and going ahead and replacing the t-stat and radiator cap while I’m at it. Any recommendations on a t-stat and radiator cap?

·
Pro Member
1,512 Posts
220-225 is not unusually high temperature for stop and go traffic, regardless of the outside temperature. If your fan is turning on and the temps don't go much higher than that in traffic I think it's pretty normal. Mine stays in the 210-225 area in traffic, during normal cruising 175-190.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike hasn't been getting this hot this fast. It starts rapidly climbing from 180 to the 220's as soon as I back off of the throttle on the interstate. And I'm still confused as to why my overflow reservoir is full now when it was between the low and high mark for so long. My guess is that the reason it's getting hotter faster is because it's lost some of the coolant from the radiator into the overflow and the coolant just doesnt return to the radiator. I let it sit all night and it was still a 1/2 inch from the top of the reservoir this morning. I don't understand what would cause it push fluid out of the system.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket.:shocked:
Before flushing, you might run it to a garage and let them do a block test. They'll test the fluid for the presence of exhaust gas. Shouldn't cost much.
Maybe you just have a blockage somewhere or a bad cap though *crosses fingers*.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night I pulled the fairings off and removed the radiator cap and the fluid was pretty low. So I blew air into the overflow drain tube to force fluid back into the radiator until it was full. I got the level on the overflow down to the high level mark and ran the bike for 5 or 10 minutes blipping the throttle every now and then. I kept checking the overflow container and after the first 4 or 5 minutes it had pushed out more fluid, it was now about an inch over the max line. But for the last 5-7 minutes it didn't push any more out and the overflow stayed about an inch high. When I started the bike, the temps climbed to about 182 and then started going down to 178 then climbed to somewhere around 195 then went down slightly then climbed to 218 and the fan kicked on and it would hold it around 220, never got past 222. When I would blip the throttle the temps would drop 2-3 degrees.

I drained some fluid out of the drain bolt on the water pump cover and it was bright blue and smelled new. I'm really hoping it's the radiator cap...Maybe a local dealer has one in stock.

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts