Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my bike new from Cycle World in VA Beach, VA. Paid MSRP for it as they wouldn't budge from the price. It was actually Skindragger's bike as he had a deposit on it, but ended up buying elsewhere. I'd heard horror stories about this place in the past, now I know firsthand. The saleman and I had an agreement, and it was written down on paper, that he would get me the seat cowl for cost. Now, when I say "at cost", what does that mean to you??? Well, for Cycle World, it means about 10% off list price, plus tax. They even charged my credit card already, the bastards ($163.78 ). I called the dealer and cancelled the order, spoke with my saleman, and got nowhere. I'll be talking to the general manager personally here very soon and either getting the cowl for $119 or making quite a scene and posting the horror story all over the internet. Did I mention that I called American Honda and explained the story before I called the dealer? Although they could not outright tell me the "cost" price of the cowl, they said I did my homework and that I seemed to have the entire story correct. After making $200 from Skindragger and another $1500 from me, you'd think the assholes would give in on $60. Hmph! Another reason I buy ALL my parts online and do ALL my own work.

DO NOT BUY YOUR BIKE FROM CYCLE WORLD IN VA BEACH!

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
i hate this crap.........but let them sit on thier bikes and take the hit

and tell all you know that they are worthless

you would be suprised how effective that can be against a business

i have read somewhere upto 20% potential drop of a small companies business (espically retail/auto sales)could happen if 5 people were to tell 5 more people in that market segment that the aforementioned company had bad business practices.

it used to be that companies never had a "customer relations/service" department.

after extensive studies it was found that in business , due to the fact that there were horrible relations with customers, that those that did not have a progressive customer relations stratgey would eventually go out of business. (thorough competetors stealing market share, less return business , etc. etc.)

so tell everyone....it will hurt them

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Dude, that's just wrong. If you paid MSRP, they should be bending over backwards to help you on the small stuff. Especially if you are willing to buy it from them, rather than online. Them making any profit, is better than none at all.

Every dealer I've ever dealt with, when you buy a new bike from them, you get 20% off parts and accessories for life.

I would definitely speak with the GM, that's just bad business. They may have made a few extra bucks off from you, but it's not worth the bad press.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm not officially f**cked yet. I have yet to talk to the GM. I'm going tomorrow, as I finally have a day off. I'll keep you posted, and my keyboard warmed up just in case things don't work out. ;)

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the plot thickens. The other day I went up to the dealer to get a copy of my buyer's agreement. It clearly states, "Tail cowling at cost when available." The manager was not in at the time. I had a few words with the finance lady. It seems I'm becoming well known there already as everyone seems to know the story on this. She tried explaining that their sales and parts departments are completely separate from each other and that if I worked a deal with sales then they only get 10% off from the parts department. That's a load of crap, I know. Cycle World is a company. When I drive down the road I don't see separate parts and sales departments. I see Cycle World. My sales guy tried to explain that same concept to me. I explained to them both that Cycle World as a company needs to give in and give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

I spoke with the manager on the phone about 30 minutes ago. After arguing for about 5 minutes I convinced him that the average customer doesn't see two companies or divisions. I explained that we had an agreement (on paper) and that it could be construed two different ways, but that the customer should be right in this case, and Cycle World needs to take care of the customer. He agreed to talk with the parts guys and will get back to me. I know already that I'LL have to call HIM. He didn't return my phone call the first two times. Why should he bother now?

I think the energy and time that I've spent on this far outweighs the $45 that I'll be saving here, but it really comes down to principle.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
f u c k them, I agree. You paid a nice profiting price from them, they can give you one part for cost. They made $2000 off the sale of your bike, MSRP - Dealer cost + Holdback of 5% when they get it. $40, jeez!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The whole situation is just asinine. You should never even have had to have that conversation. They hosed you in the first place with MSRP (No offense), and now are trying to squeeze every penny out of it. The separate company scenario is B.S. It doesn't matter how they write off the discount, all that matters is that they do it. If it came down to it, you have it in writing, it's a contract. If they break it, they are liable. I'm the type of guy that would take them to court over $45, just to make a point. You are absolutely in the right, stick to your guns until they see that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
easier said than done, but I would take the friggin bike back and let them sit on it! F**k em! I'm sure that this would definately make a lasting impression on them. Again, easier said than done.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those that do not live around here, let me say something about the dealers in the area. They ALL SUCK! Some worse than others. I know lot of dealers in the country suck, as I've seen alot of unhappy posts on several different forums. The problem around here is, Military buyers. There are so many of us around here, we come and go, literally, by the hundreds on a daily basis. And too many don't have a clue when they walk into a dealer. And the word doesn't get passed, because most of them don't KNOW they got screwed. The salemen just don't care because they know tomorrow some dumbass will walk in thats willing to pay whatever is on the sticker.
BTW, one of the regulars on fireblades.org posted that the dealer invoice is $9481 for the bike. Don't ya'll feel like a rape victim now.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I knew the invoice before buying, but neither Cycle World nor Honda of Norfolk would budge. All bikes at Honda of VA Beach were accounted for already, from what I'd heard. Same with Casey. That's just the way they are around here with the 1000RR. It's a hot bike and folks are willing to pay MSRP or even MORE! I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to travel 200 or more miles to get the bike and "only" had to pay MSRP. I assumed (yeah, I know) that the local dealer would take care of me.

Well, the shit ain't over yet. Maybe Larry the manager will come through.

I'll still get all my parts online though. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
MSRP?????

Damn dude, I visit my in-laws in VA about every other month. I would've brought you one for that price and probably thrown in the cowl. God knows I got plenty of the cowls in stock.

anyway, I hope you get it worked out. From a dealers point of view, the whole deal seems unethical if not flat out misleading. Try not to judge all dealers this way.

Later,
Myron Bell

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spoke with the manager today and he has worked it out for me. It's a shame I had to go through all this crap to get the deal I should have got in the first place, but Cycle World came through for me. The cowl, he says, is on backorder, but will be ordered at DEALER COST, not the Sales Department cost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.