Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....struggling with this one. I'm a Red-Rider at heart, and have money down on the first black RR that comes in, but.....that 10 does excite me! Its got a cool look to it even though its more cheaply put together. I'm buying one of these solely for a hooligan bike. I'm not a corner crazed road racer, I'm a dragracer mainly, and thats what the Busa is for. I had a G1K before for the street....joyriding..wheelies and all that. I'm kinda into the raw power more than anything else. If ANYONE has ridden the RR and 10 back to back for a good period of time, I'd like to hear your comments. I know the 10 doesn't have the huge power all the mags say it has. I've talked to quite a few that have been dynoed and there anywhere from 150-155. I don't really trust Kawi's reliability....I've noticed no one uses them for tricks and all. Most have Hondas and Suzukis. I'm almost ready to flip a coin...any thoughts guys? Thanks...

G

·
Get the RR man.
HP numbers aren't everything.
The technology and R&D that has gone into this thing is incredible.
The HESD works flawlessly.
I can't say enough about the RR.

That all black is SHARP too!
I have a red/black one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Get the RR.
I've taken a look and poked around at the 10R. Its a POS.
Its not comfy, its not stable, the power curve isnt near as smooth as the RR.
With a few choice mods the RR will drop pounds and pump up horsepower easily. Not to mention you get the beauty that the Honda is.
One of the other members has time slips running as low as 9.64 with only -1 on the front and lowered. The RR will do what you want.
The 10R will do it from the get go but its really a POS.
If you want to go more of the stunt route than the RR (its designed to race) than consider the R1. It has the power and low weight but I think you can do more with the Honda.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wont deny that it fits the hooligan bike picture but if you're looking to do something worthwhile with it bike, say, truly dragracing it, I think the RR will do mucho better. Not to mention I'm not a big fan of hooligans. Makes my insurance rates go up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for the responses, but this bike WILL NOT be for dragracing...thats why I have the Busa. I need a 1000 for playing around with....riding with friends....rolling burnouts...wheelies. I know I can just go buy any other older bike, but I'm a whore for new bikes, so thats why I'm looking into these. I'm not to big on the R1, and the G1k is due to be revamped next year. I know this is not the question for a Honda forum, but I'm sure you guys may ride with others that have a 10. Keep the input coming, I need it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
This all depends on what kind of rider you are. The ZX10 only has more power over the blade in the very upper part of the RPM band. Up to that point, the Gixxer/Blade/ZX10 all look so close that it doesn't really matter, above that, well that could be useful on the track, but there aren't many people I know that could exploit it. The ZX10 also isn't a balanced bike, it's wheelie prone, and get hard to handle like the first gen GSXR1000. If you are a stunna, maybe that is good for you. Kawasaki mfr's their fairings thinner than the rest and Honda typically has the best quality, structurally anyway, and it is the best engineered bike IMHO.
For most people, the RR is going to be the better choice, it's just easier to ride. Small dick syndrome riders (that have to have the HP king for bragging rights at Starbucks) and journalists (many of whom are ex racers) will like the ZX10 because of the extra few HP.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm hoping to get some good time on a ZX10 this weekend (right Ice929?) and will report back to the forum Sunday/Monday and hopefully Ice929 will do the same coming from the ZX10 owner perspective. I saw both bikes sitting side by side today at the shop, both black and I have to tell you that all black 1000rr is the best looking liter bike out this year, hands down. I like my red but the black looks better and you know the honda quality is better. On the other hand, I dont like hooligans either, nothing personal but if you gonna do that crap on public roads ride the Kawi and give them a bad name :D .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm not some crazy wheelie riding, stunt artist, I just like a lite playbike to screw around with now and then. I had an 01 G1K, and I miss it bad. I had a ball with that bike. As long as the RR is on par with that as far as power, I'll be more than happy! Keep the ride reports coming if or when you get them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sub said:
I'm hoping to get some good time on a ZX10 this weekend (right Ice929?) and will report back to the forum Sunday/Monday and hopefully Ice929 will do the same coming from the ZX10 owner perspective. I saw both bikes sitting side by side today at the shop, both black and I have to tell you that all black 1000rr is the best looking liter bike out this year, hands down. I like my red but the black looks better and you know the honda quality is better. On the other hand, I dont like hooligans either, nothing personal but if you gonna do that crap on public roads ride the Kawi and give them a bad name :D .
yep, you can take it for a spirited ride :) Ive always been a die hard honda guy (and still am, i have an 01 929) but after much decision making i chose the zx10 as my next liter bike.. the deciding factors for me was that the zx10 fit me better than the RR, and the weight factor. i rocked both bikes back and forth next to each other and i could really feel the weight difference.. Ive been riding street for 12 years, and a big decision for me was i wanted a bike that changes directions instantly. its just my riding style. I dont think there is a 'perfect bike'.. its just depends on your riding style. I wanted a bike to go out and do crazy stuff on. I ride with some nutty guys on the weekends, so i wanted something outrageous. Last weekend i was out with two zx-12's, a gsxr 1000, and a kaw z1000... i layed absolute waste to one of the zx12's on a straight away. he was full throttle, lighter than me, with a pipe and power commander. i was doing a hard roll on (not even full power) and he said that i was still pulling away from him. I dont know how fast i was going, i just kept changing gears whenever i could see the shift light below me. the other 12 wasted me though cuz he had a nitrous bottle.. he told me his speedo said he was doing 205.. i could still see him a ways ahead of me though. I just wanted to share some of my riding experience with this bike so far. Its like a 600 with the thrust of an f15 above 9000 rpms.. its pulls pretty hard through the mid range too, but at 9000 and up its incredible. I would never have bought anything other than a honda mainly cuz i was always worried about quality/fit/finish, but i have to say this looks like its a well made bike, nice welds and finish. well, ill give you more feedback on it as i ride it more.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hoons be gone.

GBracer, sounds like the ZX10R is calling you. If you like the front to come up at the snap of your fingers then it will oblige you more than the 1000RR. If you want to have an "exiting" bike that really makes you sweat when you ride it hard and realise every second of life is precious, get the ZX10R. If you like leaving ******* out of every corner whilst being overtaken by bikes that put power to ground, get the ZX10R.

If you want a great bike that does everything you want with sergical precision, then go the 1000RR. Being mannered does not a boring ride make if you catch my drift. I ride with both wheels on the ground and the 1000RR suits my style. I also love corners and the 1000RR suits me there as well. It's ruthlessly efficient at what it does and that's what I like.

·
Registered
148 Posts
couple questions related to responses....

1. Anyone know where I can buy the "dog bone" for lowering the 1000RR yet? (someone said above that there is one lowered)

2. mrb, are you from the D.C. area?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn....I'm ready to flip a coin!! I saw both the 10 and the RR in black at a dealer today.....I just don't know. Its the little things about the two that confuse me. I guess I'll have to keep reading and go look at both again. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
502 Posts
GBracer said:
. I'm buying one of these solely for a hooligan bike. I'm not a corner crazed road racer, I'm a dragracer mainly
buy the kawasaki, save the honda for someone who can ride it for what its meant for. you will have more fun on the kawasaki if thats what you're after.

·
Registered
39 Posts
here's a question for you guys that are ripping the ZX10R. Have any of you that are saying the ZX10R is a POS, wheelie prone, ill-handling etc. even ridden one?

Get the RR.
I've taken a look and poked around at the 10R. Its a POS.
Its not comfy, its not stable, the power curve isnt near as smooth as the RR.
With a few choice mods the RR will drop pounds and pump up horsepower easily. Not to mention you get the beauty that the Honda is.
One of the other members has time slips running as low as 9.64 with only -1 on the front and lowered. The RR will do what you want.
The 10R will do it from the get go but its really a POS.
If you want to go more of the stunt route than the RR (its designed to race) than consider the R1. It has the power and low weight but I think you can do more with the Honda.
How did you decern that it was uncomfortable by poking at it and looking at it. I'm curious how that was achieved without even a test ride. I don't see anyone over @ the motorush ZX10R forum having a poll about the uncomfortable seat like the poll you have here. I've ridden 500 kms this weekend and love the comfort levels on it. The seat is plush and definitely more comfortable than my 600RR or RC51 seat.
Where are you hearing these stability issues? Having taken mine to the track already, sans steering damper, I've had no stability issues. It's as stable as my RC was and my 600RR is and it is completely stock. do you not think the ZX10R would run faster and be lighter with similar mods like the CBR that ran under 10 seconds @ the track? Any bike with enough money and mods will be lighter and run faster so what does that prove? Enjoy your bike because the CBR is a great bike but if the ZX10R is a POS then how has it won so many tests already this year compared to the CBR. Are all these magazines full of s... or do they just hate Honda's. You tell me because I must have missed that press release. 8)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I encourage impartial / unbiased reviews and so +1 to ya motozen, even though I can't necessarily say that you're not ZX10 biased.

If you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, and not necessarily the truth, go to the R1 forum.
I'm sure the ZX10 is not a POS and is a heck of a bike, but I'm also sure that it wouldn't do as well at the drag strip as the RR, given equal mods are performed on both bikes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Anyone that is saying any of the new liter bikes are POS obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. I have ridden the ZX10 and the only complaint I have about it is the serious heat on the left leg. Other than that the bike felt great. There is a noticable "quality" difference between the ZX10 and the CBR but you have to ride both bikes to unerstand what that means. The CBR is just a tighter package, but that is what honda is known for. Other than that it's just personal preference but I will say this as well, the early high dyno numbers are being shown not to be true compared to the CBR. It looks like the ZX10 has 1-5 hp advantage at the most. The bike does feel lighter when you pick it up off the stand, but there is no noticable difference between the two while riding. As far as the seat goes that is just a preference. I actually prefer the hard honda seat because it allows me to move around easily. I feel like I "stick" to the softer seat of the kawasaki and the Suzuki. I'm sure most people would prefer the softer seat, but then i say go buy a goldwing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
gold wing, ha, good one. Yeah the seat may be a factor at the track. I'll have to wait till my buddy picks his up and we get out to another trackday. Personally I don't care much for performance figures, especially when it comes to these bikes. I never really modify my bikes except when the suspension calls it quits. Most riders can't push a 600 to its limits so I doubt these 1000's will be anywhere near theirs, especially on the street. I'm always amused by those POS statements. I'll agree that the 1000RR is probably a tighter package,in terms of fit and finish, it's a Honda. But since I take V.G. care of my bikes I'm never concerned about fit and finish. I'll agree that I'm biased to the 10R, I bought one. So of course I'm biased. But I can never bypass a POS statement ,especially from someone who hasn't even ridden the bike, so that's why I responded to that posting. I still like the Honda and I can honestly say that if it had come in the red, white, and blue colour scheme I would probably have bought it. Maybe next year. That being said I would still have bought the ZX10R. I've waited a long time for them to produce it. As it stands I'm looking for a dedicated trackbike to replace my RC51 (R.I.P.'s, those dang pizza delivery boys) :cry: . I'm thinking RC51 SP2, ZX7RR, ZX6RR, NSR250 or I'll just wait until next year and p/u a used CBR1000RR. That's why I'm here, always keeping an eye on the second choice and your feedback.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.