Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my bike died while riding. If I jump it it starts up and runs. As soon as I pull the cables off it dies.

I changed the stator and checked all fuses. Same issue.
Not sure about relays.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
A1 SuperMod!
957 Posts
Measure battery voltage. Is it 12-13V with bike off? Try a different battery. Even if stator or rectifier is dead the bike will still start and run for several minutes.

I suspect that it's the rectifier, since you have already replaced the stator. Check the connections going to the rectifier as well for corrosion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stator came with a rectifier. Bike is clean. Connections are good.

It will start and run with a separate battery until that battery dies.

I ran bike for 10 min with jumper cables from car and bike battery got 0 charge.
Battery was bought end of last season. It may be dead...and issue possibly killed this battery and last..?

Is there a large fuse or relay that could have went bad that cuts power from stator to battery?

·
A1 SuperMod!
957 Posts
No. There is not a fuse between the rectifier and the battery (+). Get a multimeter and measure the green (-) and red (+) wires from the rectifier with bike running to verify that the rectifier is working. Should be over 12 volts. Check continuity between the red (+) from the rectifier to the (+) terminal of battery. Check continuity between green (-) of rectifier and (-) terminal of battery.

·
A1 SuperMod!
957 Posts
The "small plug" isn't the stator. That's the flywheel speed sensor. Ignore that.

14v is correct from the rectifier. Does your multimeter have a resistance or continuity mode? I want you to check the continuity between green wire from rectifier and ground. Then continuity between red wire from rectifier and +12v of battery.

Measure battery voltage with bike running. Is it around 13.5v.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help.

I had to get a mechanic to look at it. It found the short. We fixed it. Bike runs.

I was riding last night and same thing happened. It died. No juice. If I jump it it runs no problem...until battery dies.

Changed stator and rectifier and it is pulling14v from rectifier. It is just not charging the battery.

Think it could be the starter relay which is in-between the battery and rectifier?

Battery is new. Got a lithium in hope a quick charge would be enough but it still isnt getting it.

Should bike run without a battery? Or does it need it to stay running?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah yeah I would not use the higher voltage. I actually just use a battery that I bought by accident and too big of a pain to send it back. Turns out that it it nice to have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts