Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Different Break-in Method

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sonic397 
#1 ·
This guy has some interesting thoughts on break-in. :shock: Didn't follow it, but he also recommends changing the oil after the first 20 miles which I did because it made some sense. The oil was definitely ready.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

#3 ·
Sorry IronNutz, but i just want to throw in my quick 2 cents.

My dad owns a diesel engine rebuild shop. After each engine in fully assembled, we put them on the dyno, let them warm up for 15 minuets, and run them under a full load at high idle for an hour. This process seats the piston rings and breaks the engines in. We have never had a problem with any engine that was broke in on the dyno. The article does make sense.

BTW... i just bought my 1000RR and I followed my owners manual on break-in procedeure.

#4 ·
Rode it like I stole it from day 1. I hammered it up the hill in front of the dealerships window carrying the front wheel thru 1st and second. Seating piston rings properly is what kept my 600RR from burning oil like the rest of the "owners manual method" break in bikes.

#5 ·
You really had the ballz to redline a brand new engine? yikes!
I'd like to, but I'm just to scared... she's my baby.

I've been trying to "break-it-in-hard", but I still havn't reved past 8000rpm. (well, maybe once in 1st... i was having fun carrying the front tire) Lots of full throttle, but I can't make myself rev higher.

I have 238km on her now. I'm going to change the oil @ 300km,
then I may try twisting it to 10,000rpm a few times with the clean oil. When that tank of gas is gone at about 600km I'll drive her like normal. Then at about 800km I'll change the oil again and let her rip.

I plan on putting synthetic in as soon as its safe to do so. It makes me feel alot better about redline runs.

#6 ·
I didn't do a hard break in but I didn't do a soft one either. I broke it in like I intended on riding it except for I didn't go past 7000 until after 300 miles.

Don't mean to sound like a dum dum but how the hell would you know if you didn't break it in the "right way" unless the engine blew up at 600miles? LOL

#7 ·
I run my bike somewhat hard, no redline then change the oil at 50 to 100 miles then run it hard, no redline or nothing then change at 500 miles then every 3000 miles. At about 6000 miles I switch to Mobil full synth. Done that to about every bike and never had any problems. Everyones got their own way of doing it and I'm sure you'll have yours

#9 ·
So what you are saying is that breaking in a motor the way the aviation industry does it with lots of heat cycles & ever increasing peak rpms to make certain that the engine has the highest probability of reliability & doesn't fall out of the sky doesn't make sense to you?

#11 ·
Lord Duckhunter said:
So what you are saying is that breaking in a motor the way the aviation industry does it with lots of heat cycles & ever increasing peak rpms to make certain that the engine has the highest probability of reliability & doesn't fall out of the sky doesn't make sense to you?
Who are your talking to?

I agree with you though.

1 thing for people who don't know, Redline on a Cessna 172 and most small planes is ~2300rpm , not 11,500rpm like our bikes.

#12 ·
I just went by what manual says.

I can tell you how we broke in the engine on my ship. But it isn't how the manual says, not how I did it, and how any of you say you do it.

But my bike is also built by Honda for a motorcycle. It isn't an aircraft engine with a turbo prop or a turbine. It isn't a deisel engine for a truck. And it sure as hell isn't the Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine on my ship.

#13 ·
I just went by what manual says.

I can tell you how we broke in the engine on my ship. But it isn't how the manual says, not how I did it, and how any of you say you do it.

But my bike is also built by Honda for a motorcycle. It isn't an aircraft engine with a turbo prop or a turbine. It isn't a deisel engine for a truck. And it sure as hell isn't the Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engine on my ship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.