Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

dumped it, broken femur, learned lesson

4K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  mmats69 
#1 ·
on 04/03/08.. over a year ago, i dumped my 02 cbr954rr..

i just want to "share" my experience haha..

first ride after winter...

riding w/my roomate, who has a cruiser..

approaching a left hand curve, not speeding, not messing around, hit a patch of gravel..
of course i don't really remember it, but what i do remember is sitting up feeling like i just woke up, or was dreaming, but it smelled like gas.. anyway i was able to piece what had happened together, and then i started checking myself for injuries.. head/neck moved, good, arms moved, good, fingers and toes moved, good, right leg, good, left leg, ut oh.. left foot is facing the wrong way and it looks like i have a 2nd knee between my hip and knee..

i had a leather on (alpinestars), icon helmet, icon boots, progrip gloves...

the front of my helmet smashed/cracked..

i received a concussion and a broken left femur, a clean break, not a compound fracture..

i have been racing mx since i was 10, and had been riding street for 3 years, was always very cautious, but i realized after this i could have ended up dead or paralyzed or in a lot worse shape..

just want to throw this out there in case somebody takes something from it..

stay safe guys/girls..

-don

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
i started checking myself for injuries.. head/neck moved, good, arms moved, good, fingers and toes moved, good, right leg, good, left leg, ut oh.. left foot is facing the wrong way and it looks like i have a 2nd knee between my hip and knee ... i received a concussion and a broken left femur, a clean break, not a compound fracture

wow, glad you walked away
glad you were wearing all your gear and walked away

:beat:

:laugh:

#13 ·
Glad you are okay and hopefully you can ride again soon if you are not already. Same thing happened with me last fall, I think my tire was cold others say there was oil in the uphill corner. I heard the motor start to wind up and realized what was happening but was already leaning into the corner. Too late. Instead, the rear end spun out (happened to be shifting 1-2), started to low side and ride it down but then the bike some how high sided (lean angle causing motor to stall and lock tire briefly?) and tossed me onto my head. Broken helmet like yours, bent subframe, damaged frame, and broke every piece of plastic on the bike. It sure is an erie feeling once you sit up and realize wtf just happened? Dont know about yours but mine was in the middle of 4 lane 55mph zone. I walked away with a totalled bike and a few bumps and bruises, one of which I still have today! I was fortunate and realized that leather, helmets, and gloves are worth wearing at all costs. I here you on the riding experience, Ive always rode dirt bikes and have snowmobiled all over Maine, Quebec, and New Brunswck for 15-20k miles but riding on two wheels you always need to be alert. My mistake was I am always watching other dumb asses trying to run me over and never though that my tire had not warmed up enough to make that up hill corner even though it was leaving from a dead stop at an intersection.

#15 ·
You gotta get back on soon because it will be harder if you dont. I went down a little over a year ago in gravel in the canyon. Got up picked bike up and rode it home. Next day I sat on her and started her up but too scared to get out of garage. Forced myself to ride the same canyon the next day and eventually got over it. Mind you, I still flip that curve off every time I pass thru it and think to myself "You aint gonna get me today you biatch" but gained confidence afte going thru same turn a couple of times. Stay safe and have fun.

#23 ·
+10.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.