Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SP, stock
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I recently got a 2018 SP and the first mod I wanna do is the ecu flashing. The question I have is are all ecu flashing services the same? As far as I searched I seen 3 choices, danos, woohich and toce performance. Which do you prefer?

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,008 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Dano’s ecu flash continues to be the best & easiest mod I’ve done for my ‘18SP. It does everything great! Read his reviews in his section, check out his eBay feedback. Forgetting the fact that he’s a long time forum vendor, his flash is under $200, and makes your bike jump from a 750cc feel to a solid 1000cc feel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Dano’s ecu flash continues to be the best & easiest mod I’ve done for my ‘18SP. It does everything great! Read his reviews in his section, check out his eBay feedback. Forgetting the fact that he’s a long time forum vendor, his flash is under $200, and makes your bike jump from a 750cc feel to a solid 1000cc feel.
I agree!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Im very happy with my tune from danos 19

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR 1000 SP1
80 Posts
Just got my ECU back yesterday and a yoshimura exhaust, runs alot better now. The no fuel cut on deceleration is great, I hated that slight jerk when reapplying throttle.
Hey, I'm really glad you started this thread, I also just bought a 2018 SP1 a couple weeks ago with low miles and need to get the ECU flash also. I'm hoping you can share some of your experience that will help me and probably others. Did you have to do the PAIR removal and block off plates? Did you keep the OEM cat and add a slip on, or is the Yoshimura a full system? Did you do any other mods?

I'm hearing that the SP1 ECU is more finicky and you have to put the ECU in the bike before the mods are done and run the bike first. Then do the mods and run the bike, so that it won't through any fault codes and kill the ECU. Did you have a similar experience?

Glad you got your bike rocking with the flash! Appreciate any information you can share on this.

·
Registered
2018 SP, stock
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My sp1 had no mods whatsoever, this is the letter I got when I got my ECU back. Before I got the ECU back Dano's called me to confirm there are no check engine lights and asked if I have any mods that I plan on doing. I told him just a slip on Yoshimura exhaust and he said he can accommodate it. He also said I can do the pair mod before or after that it doesn't matter. I haven't had any problems with the pair still installed just popping on deceleration. If you have a slip on installed already I'm sure you can find the OEM exhaust on eBay for less then $100. If I was to do it again I would have bought a hi flow air filter and told Dano's about it before the ECU flash. Idk if it would hurt my air fuel ratios with the flash I have now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR 1000 SP1
80 Posts
My sp1 had no mods whatsoever, this is the letter I got when I got my ECU back. Before I got the ECU back Dano's called me to confirm there are no check engine lights and asked if I have any mods that I plan on doing. I told him just a slip on Yoshimura exhaust and he said he can accommodate it. He also said I can do the pair mod before or after that it doesn't matter. I haven't had any problems with the pair still installed just popping on deceleration. If you have a slip on installed already I'm sure you can find the OEM exhaust on eBay for less then $100. If I was to do it again I would have bought a hi flow air filter and told Dano's about it before the ECU flash. Idk if it would hurt my air fuel ratios with the flash I have now.
I've been corresponding with Dano through email, he has been very responsive and helpful and that's why I'm gonna go with him for the flash. I learned from him that the race filters tend to allow tiny tiny particles in that could harm the engine a little bit over time. So I'm gonna keep the air filter stock on this bike - if it was a track/race bike or my 2011 CBR 1000 then different story.

So about keeping the PAIR - I had removed the PAIR and installed block off plates on other bikes that had no where near the amount of sophistication this bike has. But I'm reluctant to remove the PAIR in my SP because I don't want to navigate around all those sensors and things. Other than the popping on del, do you know if there are there any other drawbacks to keeping the PAIR? Dano told me that keeping the PAIR after flash can cause the bike to run on the lean side. What's your opinion on keeping or removing the PAIR?

Oh and I have a Leo Vince L10 slip on that's going to go on after my flash. I decided to just keep the OEM headers and cat for now - I really don't want to mess with this bike too much, it's just soo nice I never had a bike like this lol.

Oh and if any other SP owner that has flashed their ECU can touch on this that would be great! @J D @Jzp1978

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,008 Posts
Hey there,
Having Dans flash for several years now, and doing mainly aggressive riding, I don’t experience the pops on decel. The flash has been my favorite mod to my SP.
I’ve been meaning to get in there and remove the pair sys & install the plates, just a lot going on, but hope to tackle it soon, as I also want to remove those 2 rubber restrictors in the ram air tubes.

·
A1 SuperMod!
993 Posts
Best pair block offs are ones that have hollow machined recesses to reuse the original reed valve gaskets. The old style required messy sealant.

I'm not sure of the details of your flash, but if you disable the PAIR solenoid so it does not open when it's normally supposed to as programmed from the factory, it's EQUIVALENT to installing block-off plates because there is no way air can enter the exhaust side with that solenoid closed.

Removal of the components is for weight savings of 1-2 pounds.

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR 1000 SP1
80 Posts
Hey there,
Having Dans flash for several years now, and doing mainly aggressive riding, I don’t experience the pops on decel. The flash has been my favorite mod to my SP.
I’ve been meaning to get in there and remove the pair sys & install the plates, just a lot going on, but hope to tackle it soon, as I also want to remove those 2 rubber restrictors in the ram air tubes.
Hey J D, very reassuring to hear this! Maybe the exhaust can plays a factor in the popping on del. What exhaust can do you have, or is it a full system with the cat removed? I also ride aggressive btw - can't help it lol

Did you have the PAIR solenoid disabled in the flash?

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,008 Posts
Hey J D, very reassuring to hear this! Maybe the exhaust can plays a factor in the popping on del. What exhaust can do you have, or is it a full system with the cat removed? I also ride aggressive btw - can't help it lol

Did you have the PAIR solenoid disabled in the flash?
Yes I have it disabled in the flash.

Graves Ti slip-on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice discussion fellas,

Also would like to add from my understanding, hardware and software are two different things. Meaning, when the PAIR valve is disabled in the ECU (software) when it is flashed it just means that if you disable or remove the PAIR valve or install block off plates the ECU is not going to throw a code so your check engine light will not come on. If you disable the PAIR valve in the ECU flash and you didn't remove the PAIR valve (hardware) and install block off plates or disable the valve, it still will be functioning as normal. I personally think, if your not actually tracking it, it probably won't make a noticable difference. If you just want a really fast street bike, the tuners can always adjust the fuel tables to make it a tiny bit more rich if you haven't remove or disabled the PAIR valve.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts or opinions on this subject as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
2022 CBR1000RR
13 Posts
Nice discussion fellas,

Also would like to add from my understanding, hardware and software are two different things. Meaning, when the PAIR valve is disabled in the ECU (software) when it is flashed it just means that if you disable or remove the PAIR valve or install block off plates the ECU is not going to throw a code so your check engine light will not come on. If you disable the PAIR valve in the ECU flash and you didn't remove the PAIR valve (hardware) and install block off plates or disable the valve, it still will be functioning as normal. I personally think, if your not actually tracking it, it probably won't make a noticable difference. If you just want a really fast street bike, the tuners can always adjust the fuel tables to make it a tiny bit more rich if you haven't remove or disabled the PAIR valve.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts or opinions on this subject as well. Thank you.
This is correct, it's technically not disabling anything, just ignoring error codes instead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts