Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been brought up, but has anyone noticed that almost ALL the major european magazines have these bikes much closer in HP, Top speed etc. than the american mags? Example from Performance Bikes Magazine:

Dyno:

10R -- 147.7 hp
R1 -- 147.9 hp
RR -- 146.6 hp
G1K -- 144.4 hp

Top Speed:

10R -- 176.25 mph
R1 -- 177.72 mph
RR -- 178.52 mph
G1K -- 171.51 mph

1/4 Mile:

10R -- 10.45/144.76
R1 -- 10.35/147.26
RR -- 10.10/147.5
G1K -- 10.40/144.8

They also rate the CBR much higher. Sportrider in the US has the ZX-10r with a 14HP spread betwwen the CBR and the ZX-10. I am finding that difficult to believe based on other tests like this and people that have their bikes at home and have put them on dyno's back to back. There is a HP difference, but never seen anywhere near 14HP on a non-magazine dyno. Kawasaki got severely burned with the ZX-12 when it first came out because it didn't go 200MPH and wasn't faster than a busa. They have a lot riding on the ZX-10. Just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just received my Sport Rider magazine a few days ago. I think this is now the third issue stating it will be my last issue. When will it stop?

The other thing the I dislike about Sport Rider is that I receive it about two weeks after it is on the shelves. Half the time I have already read it prior to receiving it.

The only reason I kept renewing it was the kids from the schools come around selling magazines. Finally last time I got some car magazine. No good motorcycle magazines.

The only good American mag is Roadracing World.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree, I dont think there is a 14-16 hp difference. I've seen these results before as well. I think the 1000rr is probably 150 give or take a couple HP and the zx10/r1 are 155 give or take a couple of hp. I think Ice929 and I should line up a dyno session and compare. He has the ZX10. I will see what we can do just for kicks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sub said:
I agree, I dont think there is a 14-16 hp difference. I've seen these results before as well. I think the 1000rr is probably 150 give or take a couple HP and the zx10/r1 are 155 give or take a couple of hp. I think Ice929 and I should line up a dyno session and compare. He has the ZX10. I will see what we can do just for kicks.
I dont know what my zx-10r is making at the rear wheel , but this is the first motorcycle ive actually been kind of scared of. I was on my way to work last night doing about 80, and i hit the throttle a bit hard and i think the back tire started to spin! hehe now i hope you all dont think im not a honda fan either, cuz i also have a 2001 929 also.. its just that the zx10 is as small and agile as a 600, and goes like a 1200!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That would be sweet if the two of you could dyno the bikes back to back on the same dyno. What kind of tires come on the 10r Ice? I don't really want a bike that will light up the rear at 80m.p.h. on the freeway instead of just going straight and fast, at least when I don't want it too. it's kind of counterproductive i.m.h.o.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This all intrigues me... I am an all out Honda guy. However, this year I expected a big jump out in front, yet it appears to be amongst the others at best. How has Honda allowed this to happen? Why is it that much heavier. Why did they not learn their lesson from last year's 600RR?

I could go on forever, but seriously, with all the HRC technology and superiority around the world of racing, not to mention the technology taken directly from the RC211V staff, has this happened?

I realized from the start that that the ZX-10R and R1 would get the spot light due to the aggressive power to weight ratio and short stroke respectively. However, I thought the overall package from Honda would prevail.

Now throw in all the different numbers from early sneak previews and oversees magazines to the US reviews. Even early on when asked about the new RR, Honda America stated that the Japanese were very excited over this new bike and that it was a rare site. Then you go back to what the HRC riders have said. They were thrilled beyond anything I have read since the RC-45... Granted, the bike is dominating in all arenas but the AMA, and that may simply due to the fact that Mladin and EBos are simply better??? It sucks, but appears to be the case.

Now I see that guys that have bought the red machines (first released) are getting better results then the mags?

What the Hell?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Politics are sure to play a part in this game that we are seeing unfold now. The higher weight to me really isn't an issue. The stability it affords is a welcome side effect in my book. Horsepower doesn't matter if you can't put it to the ground. spinning tires and wheelies aren't allowing you to carry your speed forward in an efficient manner. The Honda hooks up well. All of the current bikes are very close in performance numbers. How much more do you really need except bragging rights? The CBR 1000RR is one of the trickest packages ever to grace the streets imho. Electronic steering dampner. Everyone else still relies on a shock mounted on the forks. High tech it is, slow it is not. Everyone has an opinion and I couldn't be happier with my choice in bikes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't like to get caught up in rumors, but I do have one other thought. One of the magazines mentioned that the RR they used in the shootout simply did not run like the RR they had previously tested and even went as far to say that it appeared to be an electronic issue. They then said they would revisit this thought in a later test. Interesting? Is there a chip that will boost this thing?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honda made its motorcycle easy to ride... on the street or on the track. If the bike is unrideable on the street because it is too torquey or has a tendency to reach for the sky while coming off the onramp... that is scary. How often do you actually use all of the liter bike's power anyways? More often than not, you will probably find those other bikes crashing more than the stable honda. That's just my opinion anyways... :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
I seriously believe Kawi upped the power on the US test bikes. Pretty much every manufacturer has done this at some point (hand assembling the test bikes, balancing the internals, etc), but not this blatantly. The ZX10s are showing a 10-15 HP difference. Customer bikes are getting similar figures as the Euro test bikes - where did that extra power go?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The big thing that people have been forgetting about the RR is that it is a RACE bike. Meant to go around race tracks. Being heavier doesnt mean worse for that in any way shape or form. As a matter of fact weight can be a huge bonus sometimes(properly used) because at the same acceleration its wheel wont be clawing the sky while another bike's might. Top end on the street is artifically limited so until we see some unrestricted bike runs you cant even consider the top speed. They're all limited to a max of 300kph (186mph)(gentlemans agreement)
Take the Rc-211v. From the 1st MotoGP race of the season it's obvious that Rossi is a friggin great rider since he won but when you have Rossi then a great rider then all the 211-v's that says something.
The RC hasnt been the lightest or strongest bike in MGP, what it has been is the best combination.
Different goals for the companies, different outcomes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.