Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering from the guys that took delivery of their new RR's, how does the stock exhaust sound on the bike? I've riddent the 600RR, and it didnt' sound too bad for a stock exhaust. Is it any raspier or louder?

·
Registered
526 Posts
also the best way to trade $1000 into bad hearing. IMO, new exaust, off track=waste of money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If any of you guys want to know what it sounds like, just let me take it for a ride and then when i drive by you can hear how it sounds :) I cant afford one till next year, so hopefully I can take my friends 1000 for a ride :cruising:

I have an Arata on my 929, its a bit loud, but it sounds nice. I wear ear plugs on long trips/highway to protect my hearing though too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would have to disagree, even off-track having an aftermarket exhaust kicks ass. They look and sound better than stock, and anyone should be able to appreciate a gain in HP especially when paired up with a Power Commander.

The stock can on the 1000rr is quiet, but has a good growl to it, albeit quiet. Riding down the street I feel stealthy compared to my 600rr with the dual D&Ds. I've only seen a few manufacturers offering exhausts for the 1000rr, and of those I haven't seen a picture of a single one mounted on a bike.

If anyone has any pics of aftermarket exhausts on a 1000rr please post links. (I am espeically interested in the Arrow, Akrapovic, Arata and Two Bros. Exhausts)

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
I don't remember hos my 954 sounded stock. The 1000RR is probably slightly louder than previous Hondas.

I'd wear earplugs all the time, even if I had a perfectly silent bike--the wind noise is what bothers me. The Arai fits quite well, but until someone makes a mold of my head to make a perfectly fitting helmet, I'll keep on wearing earplugs. And I prefer the raspy sound of aftermarket exhausts, just as I prefer a big block 'Vette with noisy old sidepipes--music to my ears.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ice929 said:
If any of you guys want to know what it sounds like, just let me take it for a ride and then when i drive by you can hear how it sounds :) I cant afford one till next year, so hopefully I can take my friends 1000 for a ride :cruising:

I have an Arata on my 929, its a bit loud, but it sounds nice. I wear ear plugs on long trips/highway to protect my hearing though too.
Your Arata is loud as hell Ice. When we went riding I couldn't even hear my 600rr and you were as much as 20-30 yards behind me at times and I still couldn't mine :shock: That is the delima I have with pipes, I would like to improve asthetics and performance but I wouldn't want to much of an increase in sound so I think it would be tough to find a pipe for me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It is the first bike I have ridden with stock exhaust on it, where I didn't say "Well, that's gotta go". It is fairly quiet, but has a little bit of a growl to it on the low end. It's actually fairly loud at higher RPM's. My buddy called me later in the day after I had left his house, and told me that it sounded pretty darn good driving off, but the sound didn't travel as far as an aftermarket exhaust does. I guess that's a good thing sometimes. Don't want the :police: to have time to set their doughnuts down. :)

There is something to be said for exhuast off-track (Slip-on anyway). Some prefer the look, and anything that helps (In theory) other drivers know you are there is a good thing in my book.

That being said, I think I'll keep my stock setup for a while.

LtcOliverNorth, I know at least Arrow has pics up now.
http://www.arrow.it/eng/ricercaprodotti/details_foto.asp?id=637
Pretty much any pics you find for the 600RR will do for estimates of the 1000RR, but most manufacturers are starting to come out with actual pics now like Arrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 1000rr sounds alot like the 600rr just w/that deeper liter growl. I have a jardine on the 600rr and it sounds good even though they aren't top notch as far as build quality. But I'm not exactly sold on the one for the 1000rr yet because it's way crooked and this wouldn't be a issues to me if it were actually race inspired (on the ama HRC 600rr the pipe is crooked) but the ama HRC 1000rr pipe is totally different than the street/race model sold to us less fortunate that don't have a factory HRC ride. :( I talked to jardine before they even released the pipe at the Dealer Expo in Indy and dude said it was just like the race pipe shape of the HRC bike but he couldn't show me a picture yet. I was very disappointed when I saw the pipe at Indy and all it basically was a longer, crooked 600rr pipe. Dude even said(same guy I talked too on the phone)"yeah it's crooked because thats how the race pipe is on the 600rr and people like it". I have pictures of the jardine from the back view that jardine emailed me but I don't know how to transfer them to the forum. The HRC spec 1000rr sounds sweet (heard it at Daytona)and distinctly different than all the other bikes. I WANT THE TRUE RECTANGULAR JARDINE RACE PIPE,DAMN IT!!!!

BTW, most exhaust manufactures' have (especially the european brands and japanese brands) have pictures of their 1000rr exhaust on line. Have seen the arrow,arata,akropovic, and some others. Not really sold on any ones yet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My thing is I'm not a big fan of the crooked pipes on the 600rr.. one of the reasons I went with the D&Ds. I haven't yet seen a picture of a 1000rr pipe taken directly from the rear so that you can see if the pipe comes straight out, or is crooked.

At this point, I will either wait for a straight can, or just leave the stock one on. I'd really like to get an Arata, but I'm afraid it's going to be crooked like on the 600. :cry:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I haven't ridden one yet, but with 150RWHP on tap, more power, umm I really don't think it's needed. Slip ons usually don't do a whole lot on inline motors, I know on my 929 I had one, and peformance was nada, not enough for me to feel anyway. Full system will definitely bring the power but is it needed? This just might be my first bike with no aftermarket exhaust put on it :D With the way the cops have changed over the past couple of years, stealth would be nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.