Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Part Squid
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I kind of like the look of the extended swingarms. I found one with a 10" extend. What I'm trying to find out is what supporting mods would I need to have this swingarm put on. Extended brake lines? extended chain? lower the bike? will the stock tire work? will I still be able to ride it on the street w/o much of an issue? Also about how much will all this cost? I looked around the forums and didnt find too much in the way of what I would need to do this mod so and help I'd appreciate. Thanks again.

Mark D
Boston

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
not a lot of info about stretching a bike on this site. Most of the regulars here are more in to riding fast in the twisties. I think we have a few drag races that pop in on occasion. They may be able to help you. Good luck.

·
Red Wingin Georgia Boy
1,116 Posts
get $7000 and get the single side from roaring toyz :laugh: ...your gonna need the extended brake lines and chain...leaving the stock 190 tire on there is gonna look retarded with a 10inch extension...lowering it would just make it look better while standing alone. your not gonna have much of an issue riding it on the street unless you hit some twisties somewhere or if you lower it and hit bumps in the road or speed bumps...doing it right isnt gonna be cheap and there isnt a price to tell you cuz it all depends on what you wanna do like wheels tires how wide how long painted chrome etc. etc. anyway GL with your project theres only a few guys on here with this stuff done not many people on here think positively about doing this to a CBR and would tell you to buy a GSXR or something...

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
not many people on here think positively about doing this to a CBR and would tell you to buy a GSXR or something...
Well it is a shame to ruin a perfectly good CBR like that!!!! :stirpot::stirpot:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure why you want to stretch it 10 inches. I am taking off my 6-8inch extension if you are interested.... It will definitely keep the front end down under big power. I could also include my sprockets & chain. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's a pic....

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
The extension was already on the bike when I bought it. Brad has my new sprockets & chain coming in the mail soon. I'm not a straight line racer & have ya ever tried to hold balance point with a wheelie with an extension!? :th_down:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bike also has lowering links on the rear. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.....

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
have ya ever tried to hold balance point with a wheelie with an extension!? :th_down:
No, but I would LOVE to see video of it!!!!

·
Red Wingin Georgia Boy
1,116 Posts
put up an add in the want to buy section and ask for a set of the stock links from someone who may have lowered their bike before...if all else fails you will probably have to end up going to a dealer and buying the links from them or find an online dealer that can get OEM parts im pretty sure brad can at SBS so check it out with him

·
Part Squid
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
popping a wheelie with an extension..... Thats insane! lol
I have an oppertunity to get a 10" extended swingarm for short money. So I'm more or less kicking the idea around. I dont wanna lose the ability to ride on the street though. Also I'm not looking to spend too much money on mods to support it. I just picked up an 06 blue/yellow with only 1300 miles on her. So it pretty much new so if I do anything to if I wanna make sure it looks mint and is done right.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
the biggest thing to realize is streaching a bike makes it not able to turn nearly as well. So if you are enjoying the twisties at all, dont bother. You will hate it.

·
Part Squid
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last bike was an 05 600rr. It was my first bike. I had it a year before some asshole stole it. So now I have the 1k so its alot of bike for me right now. Living in Boston the roads aren't that great this time of year due to sand. I must admitt though I have pushed it through some turns and it handels like a dream!

·
Registered
127 Posts
the biggest thing to realize is streaching a bike makes it not able to turn nearly as well. So if you are enjoying the twisties at all, dont bother. You will hate it.
I concur. I miss the 'flickability'. It looks like my lowering links have 2 settings. I imagine both lower the rear. Probably a 3 inch or 1 inch drop eh? I may raise it as much as it allows & see how it handles....

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I must admitt though I have pushed it through some turns and it handels like a dream!
Yeah, you probalby dont want to stretch it then. You will loose the ability to take those turns.

·
Part Squid
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Motodrew.. do you have any full length pics of the bike? I'd love to see what the bike looks like with the swingarm extension piece. So with yours you have a longer chain? and dropped?

·
Registered
127 Posts

Ya its a longer 530 chain. I'm switchin down to 520 -1/+2 setup. Can't wait! :th_dblthumb2:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts