Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Tech Moderator
185 Posts
yeah, it's not dust, but metallic deposits. No easy way to remove without mechanical scrubbing.

Reactions: noveske556

·
Tech Moderator
185 Posts
High compression motors are octane ravenous motors and pump gas is NEVER the octane its rated at so in effect as proven by B&A dyno tests adding an octane booster can increase engine power output. Lifting weights IF DONE INTENSELY ENOUGH will create a need for additional nitrogen (protein) to maintain homeostasis (this I am VERY familiar w/) so increasing a person's protein intake WILL increase a person's response to strength training IF THEY ARE PROTEIN DEFICIENT much a like a high compression motor using pump gas is going to be octane deficient.
Again, you're regurgitating the koolaid and using straw-man arguments that are off-track:

What data do have that octane ratings are NEVER as claimed? While there are isolated examples of local stations rigging pumps, there are regular state-regulated testing that occurs:

And you can only claim about stations YOU purchase petrol from. Have you sent in samples from THESE stations for verification? It not, you have no validity to your claims and are just repeating marketing spiel from octane-booster ads.

I bet you don't even have any bedore and after dyno tests either? Just "they said so" is good enough for you then.

As for muscles, again, slow down and read carefully:
All this requires before and after dyno-runs to understand cause & effect. It's like building muscle, "yeah, just eat extra protein and you'll automatically look like Ahhnold overnight!!!"
SOP for any kind of comparison is controls and hold as many variables constant while changing only ONE thing. That is, only change is eating more protein. No change of couch-potato routine, no working out, just sit around watching your Monday-night footballs and just eat more steaks. Will that make you look like Ahhnold?

Quick search on AJCN and JAMA shows no cases of malnutrition and protein-deficiency in U.S. in past 10-yrs. Didn't have time to look beyond that. I don't think Americans are anywhere close to being at risk for being "protein deficient". But again, that's not what I was pointing out, but rather faulty analytical process.

·
Registered
2022 CBR1000RR
145 Posts
yeah, it's not dust, but metallic deposits. No easy way to remove without mechanical scrubbing.
Excellent. I’ve used 16 oz of VP Octanium in the SC77 so far. I’m going to go ahead and pour out that can of VP and Torco I have in the garage as they are both MMT based.

Looks like those metallic cheeto deposits from MMT combustion can lead to the valves and seats being coated as well, leading to valve train leakage after long term (100k mile) use. That’s going to be a hard no on MMT for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In contrast, most studies by Ethyl/Afton have concluded that under typical operating conditions, use of MMT does not cause harm, and does not contribute to exceedances of vehicle emissions standards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Do octane boosters increase horsepower?

“There are two ways to answer this question, with the answer in both cases being ‘yes’,” Dr. Jones says.

The first is to ask whether engines built for high-octane fuels give more horsepower. Higher-octane fuel increases horsepower when used with equipment capable of reaping the benefits. Moving to higher-performance, higher-compression engines requires elimination of pre-ignition. That is exactly what octane enhancers do.“

“The other way to answer is to ask what happens when an engine operating on low-octane fuel experiences knocking. The poor combustion robs engine performance, reducing horsepower. Adding an octane additive will improve performance and add horsepower. These are the exact experiments done during the investigations that discovered tetraethyl lead as an octane booster. Tetraethyl lead reduced knocking in the test engine and improved horsepower.”

·
Tech SuperMod!
1,179 Posts
And that cheeto dust doesn't clear itself out after stopping octane booster usage, does it? It's there until you pull the parts and clean them manually?
Unfortunately, it is a adherent layer that doesn't come off by itself. After you stop, it can get covered with carbon and appear black but the manganese deposits are difficult to take off. Typically have to strip and soda blast to remove.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I found this on the long term damage of MMT deposits. It looks like all it does is cause buildup on the sparkplug.
According the below data sheet MMT is actually helpful? Jeez there sure is a helluva lotta misinformation on MMT??

Manganese Manganese in the form of Methylcyclopentadienyl Tricabonyl (MMT) has been used in virtually all Canadian unleaded petrol without any problems for well over 20 years. Its original use was for the self same reasons that lead was first used - namely to increase octane. Like the lead it can replace, MMT also protects soft valve seats from recession so it can be said that MMT is the closest alternative to lead. With MMT being available since the early 1970’s it has been subjected to the most vigorous testing of any fuel additive in history with extensive test data to support its important feature: Helps reduce intake valve deposits in conjunction with fuel detergents. Does not contribute to valve stick either alone or in combination with detergents. Completely safe in turbo-charged engines. No adverse engine deposits formed. Compatible with all construction materials including plastics and elastomers. Insoluble in water preventing any interaction problems. MMT has gained US EPA Waiver for use in unleaded gasoline along with Pipeline distribution approval due to its non-surfactant properties.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used that Octanium one time… there was a red film on the inside of my exhaust pipe. Pulled my plugs and they looked absolutely Fowled with that red film.. the back fire between shift was more noticeable like it fowled the plugs…did maybe a 70% throttle pull and the bike shut itself down at one point. I didn’t ever use the rest of that can, hesitant to use it in anything at all.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts